• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will regular washing, polishing, waxing, etc get rid of rock chips?

Hello everyone!

Ive washed my cars billions of times, but never to great attention and detail as to wash it, applying swirl mark or scratch removers, polishes, then waxes, etc. Will this intricate method of washing cars get rid of small rock chips as well?

I apologize if this thread has been on before. Any feedback on this is much appreciated.

Sorry Redeye...

No amount of washing, polishing (even with Zaino) or waxing will remove rock chips.

Rock chips are areas where paint has been chipped away. The only thing you can apply is paint.

You can try touching up these chipped areas with paint or repaint the entire affected area.

Of course, preventive measures are the best.

Don't follow other traffic too closely.

Use a bra or apply a protective clear coating (like the 3M stuff).

Don't drive fast on poor roads.

Etc...

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Wel,, when I meant rock chips, I didnt mean through the paint to the metal. I have a black NSX, and I see all these white speckles on the front end of the car. Can these white speckles be removed from regular washing, polishing, waxing? Scratch and swirl remover?

[This message has been edited by Redeye (edited 05 May 2002).]

Originally posted by Redeye:
Wel,, when I meant rock chips, I didnt mean through the paint to the metal. I have a black NSX, and I see all these white speckles on the front end of the car. Can these white speckles be removed from regular washing, polishing, waxing? Scratch and swirl remover?(edited 05 May 2002).]
No. I tried that with my Cosmos Black M3 and it helped make the car look clean and shiny, but in the bright sunlight the speckles were still quite apparent - when it became unsightly, I just had the air dam and hood repainted.

If the paint is gone it doesn't matter if it's down to the metal or not. You can either try the touch-up paint on toothpick trick a number of times or bite the bullet and get it repainted.

Swirl marks and light scratches are something else. If they're light swirls or scratches, I'd recommend Zaino Z-5 (in accordance with recommendations).

If that doesn't do the trick then a more aggressive approach is needed, perhaps 3M scratch and swirl remover.

Best of luck.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

hello, not to put any ideas into your head.. but, i sold my black nsx for the same issues you are talking about. when i had the car under the flourecent lights of my garage it looked horrible with all the tiny white specks on it. i debated painting the front end but finally decided to sell it and find a color that did no show the flaws so badly. i guess i may have gone a little overboard.. what ever makes you happy though.

Originally posted by sebringsilver'91:
finally decided to sell it and find a color that did no show the flaws so badly.

And I guess we all know what color you decided on, huh?
biggrin.gif

Back