• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wiring The Park Lights For Drl's

I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to wire the park lights for daytime running lights. I've been told to use relays or diodes, but I've got no real thorough instructions. If anyone out there is knowledgable in the world of automotive wiring and knows the best way to do this I would like to have your input and expertise.

It is a 1995 model if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Using a relay energized by a circuit such as the radio accessory and then connected to the parking light circuit will do the trick.

This would be a very straightforward job for any car stereo or automotive electrical shop.

I'm sure D'Ecosse probably already has a circuit printout and DIY he could post once this thread catches his eye. :)

sabregl said:
I'm trying to figure out what the best way is to wire the park lights for daytime running lights....
Are you talking about just the fronts or all?

To be honest it seems like overkill to hard-wire this when the light switch is right by your hand & IMO better to have the ability to turn them off anyway - or now that I check your locaton, is this a legal requirement for Canada? Even for an imported car?

Otherwise as Hugh says, a simple relay operated off ignition (I would prefer igniton rather than accessory) tapped into the light circuit. I would probably add a hidden switch just to still have the ability to turn them off if required.

I'll knock out something specific re instructions later today when I have some time.

The daytime running lights are required by law and have to turn on when the key is turned to the on position. Unfortunately using a seperate switch for this will not pass.

I also believe diodes will have to be used otherwise the power supplied to the front markers will feedback and light up all the other lights.(tail lights, etc./as well as dim the dash lights)

If you find something that can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

sabregl said:
...I also believe diodes will have to be used otherwise the power supplied to the front markers will feedback and light up all the other lights.(tail lights, etc./as well as dim the dash lights)....
That's why I asked - which specific lights do you want energized? Is it just the front parking lights or rears also?
& from your comment, you don't want the corners illuminated? I appreciate the dash lights requirement ...

Also you can leave the switch out of you like - I was proposing a 'hidden' switch (maybe even in the front compartment) to give you the capability to disable it as you may need, not as a primary function switch.

I only want the front 2 park lights to come on for the DRL's. That could be tricky because the side markers appear to fed off the park lights.

That could be tricky because the side markers appear to fed off the park lights
They don't. Think about it, the side markers also have turn signal functionality & yet the front parking lights don't flash (there is a separate bulb in the front combination light for the turn signal, whereas a single bulb in the corners)
sabregl said:
I only want the front 2 park lights to come on for the DRL's..
Really, rather than mess with a complex way to try to isolate this, by far the simplest way is to just cut the feed at the light 'dongle' cable & wire to an ignition controlled relay feeding power from the battery. Get the ignition power source form terminal C911 on the top of the dash fuse panel. The relay should be easily sourced at an auto parts store or Radio Shack.

(If you decide to use the hidden switch, just wire it in series with the wire from the ignition feed to the relay.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DRL_cct.JPG
    DRL_cct.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 326
The only downside to the above solution is that the front running lights will not turn on with the headlight switch and no key in the ignition. Is there a simlpe way to have that feed energize the relay as well as the ignition feed?

I just finished wiring my DRL's. It was fairly involved but they now work perfect. I had to use 2 diodes to acheive what I wanted but other than that it was quite simple.

If anyone else needs help with DRL's let me know.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Hugh said:
The only downside to the above solution is that the front running lights will not turn on with the headlight switch and no key in the ignition. Is there a simlpe way to have that feed energize the relay as well as the ignition feed?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DRL_cct_3.JPG
    DRL_cct_3.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 275
Car Won't Shut Off!!

I took my car out for a short cruise tonight and a very puzzling thing happened. I pulled into my garage with my lights on and turned off the car and took the key out of the ignition. Looking down at the keys in my hand I realized my car is still running. What the hell? I had to turn the headlights off to kill the engine. I tried it again and the same thing happened. It works fine without the headlights, but with the headlights on it will not turn off. It turns off the heater on the inside and that's about it.

I wired DRL's through my park lights so I suspect something may have went south on me there. It also has a viper alarm which I know very little about. Could it have something to do with the alarm?

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening? Please share any thoughts you might have.

Thanks.

Re: Car Won't Shut Off!!

Not to panic. I figured it out. I used a power source from the keyed ignition to power up the DRL's. The DRL's are my park lights. In the daytime everything works fine, but at night when I turn on my lights the power feeds back from the park lights and keeps my ignition energized.

I just have to put a diode in each wire that feeds the park lights to prevent the power from feeding back and my problem should be solved.

If this doesn't work then I will really be confused.

Before I even got to your second post I recognized your sn from the DRL thread & was already sure that was your problem.
Try the circuit I posted - you will only need two diodes total. I don't know how you wired it originally but if you're using diodes in the power feed to the lamps, make sure they are rated for adequate current. Putting them in the relay coil circuit makes much more sense.

What would recommend for the diodes as far as ratings go? Judging by the wire size(approx 18 guage) it's alittle tough to know what diode to use.

The question is 'Can you start your car by turning on the headlights?':smile:

sabregl said:
What would recommend for the diodes as far as ratings go? Judging by the wire size(approx 18 guage) it's alittle tough to know what diode to use.
Lamps are 5W so both together will draw ~ 1A.
You can also install LEDs which will minimize the current draw & the heat dissipation of the diodes, if you have wired them in series with the lamp as opposed to using a relay as per my suggested circuit.
WLED-x6 for example only draw 26mA each as opposed to ~ 450mA for each of the incandescents.
You'll like the way they look too - much whiter/brighter!

Even simpler if you use LEDs as suggested in this post - total draw from both LED lamps is only 52mA (vs ~ 1A for incandescents) - no relay required.

Even though you can use a 1A diode to power incandescent lamps, since they are running constantly I would prefer to use a relay for them rather than continuously sinking 1A through it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DRL_cct_4.JPG
    DRL_cct_4.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 255
Back