• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Worth it?

GBM

Registered Member
I have a question for a few of you.. First off let me say that i do not intend to start a flame war and that i LOVE the nsx.. (im purchasing a black 93 this week)... What i want to know is why you guys think the newer nsx's are worth the money. I can see the logic of spending high 30's low 40's for a clean one, but honestly i do not think the new nsx's are worthy of an 80K dollar price tag. Especially when you can pick up something like a '94 3.6L turbo 911 that will for all intensive purposes blow its doors off. Or even a '96 turbo.... the wholesale values for these cars are now dropping into the 80's... Like i said im just looking for the view of some of you. Im not trying to bash the car im just wondering if any of you who own earlier models feel the same way.

GBM, I feel your pain buddy. I went throught he same thing when I bought mine.

I ended up buying a 2000 NSX only because I wanted one that I knew 100% had been taken care of and not abused! Since a good used one is hard to find at any price, I would say if you can find a good one for $35,000 than you would do well to save yourself the $49,000 and buy it.

For me, it was a matter of economics too. My 2000 NSX costs me only $996 per month. And the payments on an older car are also about that much. $36,000 over 3 years is still about $1,000 per month. So I figured that I could justify the difference and buy a new one. I have to pay longer, but I get a new one and no hastle.

The NSX vs. Porsche argument is a good one. As happy as I am with my NSX, I just bought a Porsche 911 the other day and if I had thought this whole thing through a little better, I would probably have purchased 2 Porsche 911s for the same price as my NSX and had one as a daily driver and one as a track car to race with.

As it is, I bought a race prepared 1975 911S that only weighs 2300 lbs and develops 220bhp from a balanced and blueprinted racing engine. The power to weight ration is on par with my NSX and will flat move out. At only $12,500 it was a steal and a half! Tires for it are only $63 each. It will be a fun track car and save the cost of the 911 in wear and tear on the NSX just in the first 2 years lone.
wink.gif

Since you got a good 93 NSX you have already committed yourself, but if I had it to do over again, I would have to look at the Porsche 993 models and the recent turbos before the NSX. The NSX is still a much better buy than the Ferrari 355 I was looking at, so I feel good about that. And the 911 can't touch the NSX for comfort and style, but is close in performance and handling.

If you want to debate this more off line, feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]). I have a lot of time and energy into this subject and it may be more suitable for an off-topic forum.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Weve got a '67 911S with all lightweight parts. Its a pure vintage racer. i love the car to death. im not exactly commited to the 93 nsx thats just what im planning on buying.. I like the fact that its mid-engined, pretty quick etc. Im buying the car outright, no payments and around 45k is about what i can spend (im 20). I like the 'shock value' of the nsx its a big reason why im buying the car... I looked at some turbos.. a RUF slantnose, and also a '91 but i just couldnt get a low mileage example for the money i had. My dad is waaaay into race cars vintage and modern and i get to drive those on the track so im not really worried about on track performance as much. Besides i dont think a street car on the track can even compare to a purpose built car. id love to talk cars with you sometime g-man. [email protected] thanks for the comments.

Heres my weekend play toy (when im allowed to drive it)
wink.gif

f_40_1_.jpg

[This message has been edited by GBM (edited 03 July 2000).]

Sorry about the multiple posts angelfire is stupid..

f40.jpg

f40number2.jpg

[This message has been edited by GBM (edited 03 July 2000).]

My rationale has always been simple on these kind of purchases: Buy the car you want, and make sure it is the top of the line. It may cost you more upfront, but in the end the rewards with not having to ponder decisions and aftermarket stuff is priceless.

On that basis, the 97+ models have several things in it's favor, the most significant being attributed to its powertrain. You'll kick yourself for not getting the 3.2L and 6-speed later, especially since i have seen some going for $60k on traderonline.com. The other aspect is that of convenience in terms of newer equipment and comfort (power steering, etc.).

Good luck on this deliberation. Mine is even tougher...should i buy now, or wait until next year when supposedly a "ZS" version comes out!

Originally posted by GBM:
I have a question for a few of you.. First off let me say that i do not intend to start a flame war and that i LOVE the nsx.. (im purchasing a black 93 this week)... What i want to know is why you guys think the newer nsx's are worth the money. I can see the logic of spending high 30's low 40's for a clean one, but honestly i do not think the new nsx's are worthy of an 80K dollar price tag. Especially when you can pick up something like a '94 3.6L turbo 911 that will for all intensive purposes blow its doors off. Or even a '96 turbo.... the wholesale values for these cars are now dropping into the 80's... Like i said im just looking for the view of some of you. Im not trying to bash the car im just wondering if any of you who own earlier models feel the same way.

bah... if anyone wants to see the pictures or knows of a place where i can upload them, let me know.... gordon?
wink.gif

Buying a new one is TOTALLY worth it. Of course, I'm only saying this because I constantly feel the need to justify the crazy amount of money I had to spend in buying a NEW one.

Seriously, this is a really tough question. I too went back-and-forth on this issue before settling on the 2000 model. Complicating the issue, I have a coworker who considered selling me his black/black '97 NSX-T. And he takes excellent care of his car.

Despite how wonderful the NSX is, it is a car that hasn't held its value very well...so some incredible deals can be made on previously owned models. Not a single one of the NSXCA members I have met thus far bought their NSX new...on average, they acquired '94 models within the last two years. And their cars are all in top-notch condition, hard to distinguish any signs of age between theirs and my brand new 2000 model (even when parked side-by-side).

For me, I wanted the T, so I knew I'd be looking at a 1995 or later model. I wanted the 6 speed 290hp model, so that eliminated anything before 1997. And when you start comparing the '97 to now, the difference in price is less than $20,000 (based on the $88,000 MSRP for the 2000 model). In the end, I simply couldn't see myself paying more than 80% of the value towards a new NSX without enjoying the pride of owning a new one.

It is indeed nice to know that every mile being put on my NSX is my own. Likewise, it's nice to know that the dealer will take care of any unexpected mechanical problems for the next several years. And, based on the amount of driving I do per year, it's nice to know that costly major work won't be needed for a long time.

But only go new if you can stomach seeing people driving older just-as-nice-looking NSXs at less than half the cost.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

P.S. Two things that every used NSX owner has commented on about my 2000 model: They love the new perforated leather, and they dig the new stock rims. Yes, they're subtle changes, but they are universally appreciated
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 03 July 2000).]

bah... if anyone wants to see the pictures or knows of a place where i can upload them, let me know.... gordon?
wink.gif

Not to worry olde chum. Just send me what you want posted and I will make a space for them on one of our many servers.
smile.gif

Will have the images posted and up ASAP on Wednesday when the crew gets back. Likely spot for the photos will be:
http://www.g3.com/GBM

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

GBM got me thinking... and that is always a bad thing. I did some checking and he is right. A 1996 Porsche 993 Twin Turbo is only about $80K!

Considering the sale of my 2000 NSX-T for purchase of Porsche Twin Turbo... quick, someone talk me out of it!

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

[This message has been edited by G-man (edited 04 July 2000).]

GBM,

Is that a kit car or a true F40? The interior looks black from the pics and all F40's have red interiors. And what happened to the front left headlight?

Don't sell it G-Man. Just go out in the Garage and look at your NSX that should be enough to convince you not to sell it, but if that doesn't work take it for a drive.

P.S. If you do want to get rid of it my 91 is getting kind of old.
wink.gif

That is the real deal car. The interior is actually grey carpety-stuff with red seats. We replaced the seats with recaro carbon-kevlar leather/suede ones about a year ago, theyre a lot more comfortable (I still havent decided if theyre worth the price of an acura integra though =P) As for the headlight thats just the sun, we had the covers replaced with a strong lexan instead of oem glass because the glass spiderwebbed in montana last september during a little high speed driving. (If someone wants to explain to me via email how to connvert vhs to a windows video file i have some footage of the car pulling on diablos like they were standing still from 160 on up. Also have some footage of the speedo pegged at 200. ) anyways, the car will be in portland this weekend for any of you who live around there. And gordon, if you do decide for the turbo just make sure to get a low mileage example, with all the documented service history, you dont want to buy a car from some chump who hammered the car then just shut it off, frying the oil in the turbos..
wink.gif

Gordon, I would suggest you peruse the service records and costs covering the Porsche 930 and C 2 Turbos that once I owned. After laughing (you could, I didn't), I am sure you will dismiss any thought of replacing your NSX with a 911 TT. Based on both personal experience and information from well-respected Porsche "tuners", I would be very, very cautious before purchasing any used turbos.

[This message has been edited by Joel Zoldessy, MD (edited 04 July 2000).]

(If someone wants to explain to me via email how to connvert vhs to a windows video file i have some footage of the car pulling on diablos like they were standing still from 160 on up. Also have some footage of the speedo pegged at 200.

Step 1: Send footage to G-man
Step 2: G-man converts VHS to DV
Step 3: G-man then generates .mov, .mpg, and .avi files for all to enjoy.
smile.gif

Step 4: Aviod self-incriminating distribution to law enforcement.
smile.gif

PS: By the way, I did take a look at my NSX and also did take it for a drive... I think I will keep it.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Back