• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Would you and could you?

No for so many reasons.

Take the BUS. Besides, it builds character.

IMO, a car is too much responsibility to be given. You've got to earn it to appreciate it.

Lucas

When our girls were younger, I preferred them having a decent car and doing the driving, instead of cruising around in some young buck's piece of junk while they talked on their cell phone at twice the speed limit. My daughters were brought up knowing that driving requires all your attention, especially watching out for all the other fools on the road.

No freaking way! The good thing is however, my Daughter loves our NSX's and would never allow me to do this. His daughter appears as-if she could care less. :(

No way!

I have the utmost respect for this guy. He puts family 1st. It's not the last NSX in the world. He didn't go overboard on what she got. It's a very reasonable car for a teen. Who knows, she may be a straight A student that doesn't give mom/dad a miserable life like many. I applaud the guy.

Lol doesn't KIA stand for kill in accident. I understand your kid(s) comes first but a new car though??? And it is a Kia..?..
more understandable if he sold his car for her college tuition.

My kids are not there yet but when they do get there I don't think I'll be selling my NSX to fund their cars. A 10 year old Civic is plenty reliable and pretty cheap to buy and maintain. That's the route I'm going to take.

My 16yo son will do 12 months hard labor in our aging and frayed 2004 Volvo XC90 with 140k on it. It's slow as sh*t and built like a tank, black with tints, perfect for a teenage boy new to the road. After that, we will see with helping him out for his next ride but it won't be an outright purchase/gift for him. He will need a part time job for that.....

FWIW my first car was a 1968 Ford Cortina that cost 100 quid. Never even crossed my mind to ask mum or dad to buy it for me. Probably never crossed their's to do it either and I totally agree. 2nd car was a Capri, 200 quid, then Cortina:275, Capri:400, 240z:750 (with a loan from my dad, paid back in 2 months), Beta Spyder: 1150 (I think). Then got a much better job abroad and moved up from there. TVR, Vette, Alfa Spyder, Corvette, Coswoth Merc, Integrale etc. Best car yet? You guessed it....

My kids are not there yet but when they do get there I don't think I'll be selling my NSX to fund their cars. A 10 year old Civic is plenty reliable and pretty cheap to buy and maintain. That's the route I'm going to take.

This is the exact approach I am going to utilize for my kiddos. A used civic is perfectly fine. Easy to maintain, very reliable.

I don't think this video is real either for a lot of reasons. For starters the kids reaction doesn't seem genuine enough for getting a car at all and definitely not enough reaction for her dad to be giving that up because even a girl teenager understands in some way the values of the nsx. and then there's all the reasons everyone else on here stated like the value difference. I think he just made the video to play a joke/win in court with his divorced wife.

even a girl teenager understands in some way the values of the nsx.

This is a very valid point where I can affirm via first hand experience with my Daughter. She would much rather go for a ride in the NSX every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Even the mere mention of "selling or trading" the NSX, (when I was considering a new 911 or R8), her immediate reaction is NO!!!!!!! :)

If the guy owned a NSX and couldn't afford to own a KIA at the same time, he shouldn't have had the NSX in the first place LOL. j/k.

^^^ agree with you. A well sorted used civic or accord is the way to go. I'll front some money for my son's purchase of a car...but he'll have to come up with the rest. The way I see it he won't be driving until he's about 18 anyways so if he wants a car at 18 he better start working as soon as possible to save up for it. And another thing...if his grades/behavior aren't up to par sorry no car. Walk or take the bus. Life is not easy if you're not responsible. With me you either learn the hard way or listen to mom and dad and get the easier way. My .02

Back