• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

You guys won't believe this. My stereo install.

This is a mid woof. I am just going to mate it with a proper tweeter and then crossover into the subwoofer. When I finish this I am going to start working on the subwoofer. I have to really look at it and look at that enclosure and see what can be done. I am going to come up with the crafty solution for the tweeter too. Right now I think the mid range/midbass is done. I'm going to fire this up tomorrow and see how my Rockford Fosgate compares to this driver in the car. What is on my bench may sound very different in the car.

Some more photos of making my baffle. It's solid and bolts from behind.

80eea5fe.jpg

83389ca5.jpg

This is a mid woof. I am just going to mate it with a proper tweeter and then crossover into the subwoofer. When I finish this I am going to start working on the subwoofer. I have to really look at it and look at that enclosure and see what can be done. I am going to come up with the crafty solution for the tweeter too. Right now I think the mid range/midbass is done. I'm going to fire this up tomorrow and see how my Rockford Fosgate compares to this driver in the car. What is on my bench may sound very different in the car.

Ah ok. So you pretty much using this as a mid/mid bass. A little small but I got it :wink:!

Ah ok. So you pretty much using this as a mid/mid bass. A little small but I got it :wink:!

Yeah it's small but it has a ton of excursion. So it moves a lot of air. Probably more than most 6.5's. Also enclosure has to do a lot with bass response. These traditional NSX installations with a baffle and no enclosure are more feel good than actual response. It wouldn't make any difference if it was a 4, a 5.25, or a 6.5. A door is not a good enclosure no matter what you do with it.

Yeah it's small but it has a ton of excursion. So it moves a lot of air. Probably more than most 6.5's. Also enclosure has to do a lot with bass response. These traditional NSX installations with a baffle and no enclosure are more feel good than actual response. It wouldn't make any difference if it was a 4, a 5.25, or a 6.5. A door is not a good enclosure no matter what you do with it.

Looks good and hope sounds as good as it look :biggrin:

I will let you know tomorrow for sure but so far, I LIKE IT!!

Who makes it? :biggrin:

It's made by Wilson Audio. It's has a platinum voicecoil and a crystalline spider and costs $5200. The surround is made of recycled Michael Jordan sneaker soles. Would you like a set?

update!? :smile:

Didn't have time. I was building a cat gym, working at my office, and talking to Advan dealers all day. Probably can't tomorrow either, so it'll be the weekend.

I did however order a JBL MS-8. That's going to time align, EQ, and crossover everything correctly. I will then see if I can see those parameters and copy them somewhat using lesser expensive analog gear. Of course the MS-8 will do wonders, but it's going to weigh me down by 4.7 pounds. I might have to exchange my girlfriend for an Asian one.

Didn't have time. I was building a cat gym, working at my office, and talking to Advan dealers all day. Probably can't tomorrow either, so it'll be the weekend.

I did however order a JBL MS-8. That's going to time align, EQ, and crossover everything correctly. I will then see if I can see those parameters and copy them somewhat using lesser expensive analog gear. Of course the MS-8 will do wonders, but it's going to weigh me down by 4.7 pounds. I might have to exchange my girlfriend for an Asian one.

LOL! GL :biggrin:

Update:

This thing POUNDS. Treated the Bose enclosure with dynamat and better bracing. Here is a video. Very high excursion on the woofer, what is distorting is my phone's mike at close proximity not the speaker. I am going to try in car next, I am not sure I will even need a subwoofer.

http://youtu.be/ML3sjTRZyVU

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ML3sjTRZyVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is also without a tweeter. This driver has this much range. It allows more flexibility and better tweeter integration. I'm going to start playing with tweeters now. I have some really interesting thoughts about placement I don't think anyone has done before.

Last edited:
I have a woody. I can feel the bass sitting in a large room 4 feet away from a single speaker. With two of these in a small NSX cabin... It's going to be crazy. No one will believe there is no subwoofer. And this whole thing weighs almost NOTHING! It's lighter than the 3" Bose speaker including the MDF plate I've made. I can't wait to pull the sub enclosure and see what I can do with that.

Last edited:
Holy shit!!! The bass!!! I'm sorry I am just giddy listening to this, I just cannot BELIEVE what I am hearing.

Hi,

with all this, what exactly do yuo have connected now? (from speaker to unit)

I'm most interested as my OEM Headunit is acting funky and i want the better, lighter alternative to connect my IPod/IPhone.

Thanks,
Nuno

Nuno directly to an amp. Phone---> amp----> speaker. But you need some adapters to make it work well. I can give more detail if you want.

Dave, sure i want... i already have an Ipod/iphone (assume i can use either) so, what else do i need and how do i connect.

Note that i want the lightest, simplest, cheapest, best quality i can have (easy huh?) :tongue:

FYI, all my sound is OEM...and i have an adapter cable to adapt the OEM unit to an aftermarket amp, and another one to adapt an aftermarket headunit to the car harness.

Nuno

Dave, sure i want... i already have an Ipod/iphone (assume i can use either) so, what else do i need and how do i connect.

Note that i want the lightest, simplest, cheapest, best quality i can have (easy huh?) :tongue:

FYI, all my sound is OEM...and i have an adapter cable to adapt the OEM unit to an aftermarket amp, and another one to adapt an aftermarket headunit to the car harness.

Nuno

So do you want to keep the OEM head or go direct phone to amp? You need a wire that gives you charging and audio out in the same cable. You also need a booster, the iPhone out is just a bit too weak for quality audio.

Do you have an amp. Tell me your overall plan.

Big Dave,

So do you want to keep the OEM head or go direct phone to amp? You need a wire that gives you charging and audio out in the same cable. You also need a booster, the iPhone out is just a bit too weak for quality audio.

Do you have an amp. Tell me your overall plan.

My overall Plan is: to connect my IPod/IPhone to the car and listen my mp3 :biggrin:

Seriously... my HU just started acting funny (weird mixes of the mp3 via USA_spec Ipod adapt) and i troubleshooted the cause to the HU...so, i need a new HU (Pioneer for ex), but reading this minimalist audio solution that you defend, i'm sold because i want to listen my MP3 in the easiest way possible, with the best quality for the cheaper price.... and keeping it simple, will keep it light...and i'm all about weight saving :wink:

so, my overall plan is to buy whatever you say i'll need to listen my mp3 in my car.

Thanks,
Nuno

Big Dave,

My overall Plan is: to connect my IPod/IPhone to the car and listen my mp3 :biggrin:

Seriously... my HU just started acting funny (weird mixes of the mp3 via USA_spec Ipod adapt) and i troubleshooted the cause to the HU...so, i need a new HU (Pioneer for ex), but reading this minimalist audio solution that you defend, i'm sold because i want to listen my MP3 in the easiest way possible, with the best quality for the cheaper price.... and keeping it simple, will keep it light...and i'm all about weight saving :wink:

so, my overall plan is to buy whatever you say i'll need to listen my mp3 in my car.

Thanks,
Nuno

PM me your email address. I'll give you a full parts list and instructions. You'll be blown away by what I set up for you in terms of sound quality. I'm not kidding.

Back