• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

You guys won't believe this. My stereo install.

^ this location is good when the door is closed, but when it's open, someone, specially the passengers, can hit it as it is protruding from the dash..

i prefer the solution of them over the dash, at the corners of the windshield.

Nuno

It is funny how you mentioned b&w speakers because out of all of the speakers available, that is what I have for my home theater! The are unique in that they came with multiple different size air ports that can be switched out

Keep up the good work

^ this location is good when the door is closed, but when it's open, someone, specially the passengers, can hit it as it is protruding from the dash..

i prefer the solution of them over the dash, at the corners of the windshield.

Nuno

I like the location by the windows as well.

If you're running no head unit, do you run your portable music player (not everyone uses an iPod) with a 3.5mm -> RCA directly to your amplifier? Set the amplifier volume to max and control the volume, menu, and equalization with your portable music player?

Last edited:
It is funny how you mentioned b&w speakers because out of all of the speakers available, that is what I have for my home theater! The are unique in that they came with multiple different size air ports that can be switched out

Keep up the good work

So is it still a deal breaker for you to have corner tweeters?

well i have long legs, so i vote for the window corners for the tweeters, and i agree once painted black they would pretty much be hidden from most views.
eddy

I like the location by the windows as well.

If you're running no head unit, do you run your portable music player (not everyone uses an iPod) with a 3.5mm -> RCA directly to your amplifier? Set the amplifier volume to max and control the volume, menu, and equalization with your portable music player?

Yes, basically. But because some phones/portables don't quite have enough output I have a line driver which ups the voltage for a cleaner more powerful signal. It also has a regular volume knob yu can dash mount in the stock radio volume location if you want. A rotary knob is nice and easy to use. So even if the phone or portable is in lock mode volume still works just like the factory radio.

There's no limitation on this system, you can use a portable, iPhone or android, tablet or carputer, iPad or nexus, stock radio or aftermarket, eve if Walkman if you want. LOL

Interesting. I want to see this volume knob installed on something. So you would remove the stock radio unit and mount the volume knob to a plate in lieu of the stock radio? Or will we need to get an aftermarket/modified console piece?

Dave,

and obviously that line driver with volume knob is part of the kit, right?? :biggrin:

Nuno

Yeah most of this stuff is off the shelf, but I have to create some sort of specific instructions on use and test it all as a system to make sure ther are no problems.

I'm still a long way away from putting together any kit, i am nit even making any promises. I have to resolve the subwoofer issue, do lots of testing and tuning, and then source a place to mass build my speaker plates. I can actually use some advice if anyone knows where I can have a mould built of my MDF plates and have a bunch reproduced at a reasonable price.

Speaking of speaker plates.... I have to take some photos but it places the door woofer so close to the outside, the bottom corner just kisses the factory grille. I mean it JUST FITS, but it is great because the driver is so well angled into the cabin, up and towards the center of the car. No longer into your shins.

Yeah most of this stuff is off the shelf, but I have to create some sort of specific instructions on use and test it all as a system to make sure ther are no problems.

I'm still a long way away from putting together any kit, i am nit even making any promises. I have to resolve the subwoofer issue, do lots of testing and tuning, and then source a place to mass build my speaker plates.

My offer of free labor stands!

Hi,

I'm still a long way away from putting together any kit, i am nit even making any promises.
worse news ever :eek::eek:.... i thought this kit was a matter of time (long or short, whatever).

as i know you love GBs, you will make it happen :tongue:

With this investigation and testing, i believe you already have some components choosen, right?? amp, line driver, door speaker.. ?!?!

Thanks,
Nuno

Hi,

worse news ever :eek::eek:.... i thought this kit was a matter of time (long or short, whatever).

as i know you love GBs, you will make it happen :tongue:

With this investigation and testing, i believe you already have some components choosen, right?? amp, line driver, door speaker.. ?!?!

Thanks,
Nuno

Nuno it's not that I dont want to make a kit, at the very least I will provide instructions and where to get all the parts, it's just a matter of fitting all this work with my day job. Chances are I will make one, but I have to say I may not because in the remote chance I don't, I don't want people busting my chops over it. I will help anyone regardless with info for sure. I am going to keep working towards a kit.

Yes, some components chosen. After some experimentation I am doing away with the JBL MS-8. Alpine makes a pxah800 I like better, I spent 2 hours reading its manual back and forth today. But it's like $1000. Not worth it to me. I want good sound in the NSX, but I will take punchy and dynamic over finesse. The MS8 is better suited to a quiet luxury car. It's going back to crutchfield. I wish they still made the MS-2, it weighs nothing, is small, and costs $200. I would keep the fantastic processing on the MS8 were it not for it's size and weight. It has a built in 8 channel amp which makes it heavy and bulky, but it's not what I need in the NSX. I am searching good active crossovers for the fronts. If anyone has something in particular they thing will work well. Let me know. I wanted the Kicker Front Row, looks like it is no longer made.

Last edited:
Hi,

i completely understand, although i wouldn't bust your chops, i'm a patiente guy :wink:

One advantage of you getting a kit together is that most probably you could have better prices/unit than we shopping all over on our own.

About the adapters for the door speakers... what material did you have in mind for them?? not MDF i suppose.

Nuno

Hi,

i completely understand, although i wouldn't bust your chops, i'm a patiente guy :wink:

One advantage of you getting a kit together is that most probably you could have better prices/unit than we shopping all over on our own.

About the adapters for the door speakers... what material did you have in mind for them?? not MDF i suppose.

Nuno

MDF is fine if it is treated and waterproofed. You can plasti-dip the whole thing. But you still have to stuff the enclosure correctly, you have to put in a correct harness, you have to dynamat it correctly. I suppose I could just sell treated boxes ready to plug in with a core exchange.

A plastic material can work too, instead of MDF. You got any ideas?

Is dynamat really necessary? I had a really bad experience with that stuff on an old beater car. In the summer the tar backing melted and dripped black goo everywhere. Impossible to clean.

Hi,

MDF is fine if it is treated and waterproofed. You can plasti-dip the whole thing. But you still have to stuff the enclosure correctly, you have to put in a correct harness, you have to dynamat it correctly. I suppose I could just sell treated boxes ready to plug in with a core exchange.

A plastic material can work too, instead of MDF. You got any ideas?

we have here, and you guys sure must have also, Hidrofilic MDF (i think it's the name)... basically you can drown it in a bucket of water, leave it there forever, take it out, remove the water in the surface and it will look as it was never near water.

I can send my speakers to you before, no core need here, this if it is too complex for me to do all those things. I'm a DIY kind of guy, very resourcefull

I also have access to a Fiber/CF guru, that can replicate whatever i throw at him... mind that no beatifull visible CF, he is against that because he always do things to maximize weight savings (car and boat official championships)

Nuno

Is dynamat really necessary? I had a really bad experience with that stuff on an old beater car. In the summer the tar backing melted and dripped black goo everywhere. Impossible to clean.

It's inside the woofer cabinet. You'd never see it. It's just to dampen the Bose speaker cabinet itself.

Back