• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building A New Race NSX @ Driving Ambition

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would post some info about the new race car we are building in house for Kip Olson. We started with his very clean and low miles 1991 NSX (Sorry Brandon, Yes we did use his car). It took about 40 hours to strip the car down to bare chassis. Another 20 plus hours to remove all of the unneeded chassis sheet metal (trunk, dash, etc.) Then it took about 5 days at the paint stripper to get all of the under coating and most of the seal sealer off. When we started to do the roll cage the chassis weighed only 374 lbs. My personal goal it to get this NSX as close to 2200 lbs (without driver or fuel) as we can. Here are some pictures of the progress and I will post some more of the construction. Cheers, Shad
IMG_0433small.jpg

IMG_0435small.jpg

IMG_0440small.jpg

IMG_0441small.jpg

IMG_0457small.jpg

Wow...less is more! I'll have to stop by to drool over Kip's buildout. Will Kip go with a turbocharger this time?

Looks Great Shad! Will it be done for NSXPO?

wow!

what are going to be some of your weight tricks? replace the front firewall with some dry carbon? dry carbon body? carbon brakes?

cant wait to see it in all its glory!

Subscribed - looking forward to seeing how this thing progresses.:smile:

I think Thunderhill, Laguna and Infineon needs to be put on notice so they can order up a bunch of new blue flags for next season. The lightweight kind that all the corner workers can wave all frickin' day long. :tongue:

Wish you would have used a wrecked or super high mileage car for this. :frown:

Why :confused:

Shad, that's Fing cool under ~400lbs for the shell :cool:

This is gonna be good.

Man... Shad, clean up that messy garage will you?

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would post some info about the new race car we are building in house for Kip Olson. We started with his very clean and low miles 1991 NSX (Sorry Brandon, Yes we did use his car

Shad,

I was afraid you were going to go this route. Kip's car in street form was one of the best cars ever built but I am sure the end result will be even better. I guess in the long run it would have been a little more difficult and time consuming to do what you and I had talked about.

Jeff, I'm not saying the project isn't cool. It totally is. Just a bummer to dismantle a pristine car to build something that a wrecked or super high mileage car could have given you the same end result. How is that confusing?

Ditto. I would rather see Kip's original car sell to someone for a reasonable sum so he could build a race car from another NSX donor that wasn't so special. On the other hand I am excited to see the finished project.

Last edited:
2 words, Bad Ass!

Re: Huh?

see Kip's original car sell to someone for a reasonable sum so he could build a race car from another NSX donor that wasn't so special.
This is Kip Olson we're talking about; I don't think "reasonable," "donor" and "isn't so special" is even in his vocabulary. :wink: But isn't it always fun to talk about Mr. Walk Softly/Carry Big Stick like he's not even here. :biggrin:

This is Kip Olson we're talking about; I don't think "reasonable," "donor" and "isn't so special" is even in his vocabulary. :wink: But isn't it always fun to talk about Mr. Walk Softly/Carry Big Stick like he's not even here. :biggrin:

That's what I was thinking :wink:
It's HIS car and he's had it in all phases from street to track day now race. He might have a personal attachment to his car and the stages the car has progressed with his driving.

I'm not trying to be critical or disrespectful towards Kip so I hope I did not come across that way. I only made my statement to show my true admiration for his original street / track NSX. I liked it so much I would have paid up to 70K for his car if I wasn't already knee deep into my own NSX project. His car was probably the best car on this forum PERIOD IMO. :wink:

Update.......
We are making good progress on the race car. We have most of the main cage in and finish welded. We are mocking everything (battery, fire system, air jacks, steering rack, etc.) up to make sure we don't put something in the wrong place. We are building the car using the SCCA Pro rule book which is a little different than the SCCA GCR for club racing and is making it a little more difficult. You are correct Jeff, Kip does have a very personal attachment to this car and so do I. Dave, I hope to get it done in some form before Expo, but I have some other customer's cars that have to be done for NSXPO too. Brandon, just a little over a week away I will let you know what it is. Cheers, Shad

Attachments

• IMG_0523small.jpg
    IMG_0523small.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,177
  • IMG_0532snall.jpg
    IMG_0532snall.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_0533small.jpg
    IMG_0533small.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_0535small.jpg
    IMG_0535small.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,367
  • IMG_0538small.jpg
    IMG_0538small.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,107
saw the car in person today must say great work!!!

Back