• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building A New Race NSX @ Driving Ambition

Re: Hey Shad, good thing....

Impressive!

Have you added oil pan baffle, oil cooler, accusump, etc..?

Yep. :smile:

I installed a 3qt Accusump and a Setrab oil cooler along with the stock H20 to Oil heat exchanger.
I also have the Driving Ambition's Undertray & dual pass radiator with a VIS vented hood.

Trying to be nice to the motor.... :smile:

Later,
Don

Great seeing you out there Kip and Shad. The car looked great and the workmanship is top notch. You guys did great out there for a new car! I know how you feel about the tires, we ran our competition lap on the Yokohama AO48s. While everyone else in the class is running the super sticky Hankooks. Congrats again and we are looking forward to next year!

Thanks Ken,
What you guys pulled off down there was just plain amazing, Great good. We hope to see you guys next year @ some events. Cheers, Shad

Here are some pictures of the final product, we still have some small things to finish. But it is now time to just put miles on it before the start of next years SCCA regional races. It will compete in the ITE and SP classes here in northern California. Final weight (2375lbs) was higher than I wanted but there is still about 100lbs we can take out. Cheers, Shad

Attachments

• IMG_1252small.jpg
    IMG_1252small.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 756
  • IMG_1264small.jpg
    IMG_1264small.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_1266small.jpg
    IMG_1266small.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_1268small.jpg
    IMG_1268small.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_1272small.jpg
    IMG_1272small.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_1276small.jpg
    IMG_1276small.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_1282small.jpg
    IMG_1282small.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_1286small.jpg
    IMG_1286small.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_1291small.jpg
    IMG_1291small.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_1294small.jpg
    IMG_1294small.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_1296small.jpg
    IMG_1296small.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_1303small.jpg
    IMG_1303small.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_1304small.jpg
    IMG_1304small.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 772
Sweet,, you're bringing sexy back!!!!! That is just too pretty to bang up:frown: Kip, you better be lucky in the wheel to wheel world:cool:

Re: No rest for the wicked

but there is still about 100lbs we can take out. Cheers, Shad
Well, Kip, you've certainly tried to do your part...........lightening up that wallet. What's next? cutting out the morning mochas and donuts?? :eek: Sheesh. Maybe you should hire me to run your company while you spend time at the gym? :wink: Just a thought.

And I'm sure Shad'll be on the radio like an F-1 race engineer, telling you to "poosh, poosh now !!" :rolleyes:

Congrats Kip. You're now an official member of a very unique group. Of about what... 5 guys in the past 20 years of NSXCA that were crazy enough to blow a crap ton of money pursuing their dream... To step up and regional club race some crazy overly-prepared Acura NSX for a shot at the prestigious ITE divisional championship. :biggrin:

That's good stuff right their. Winning ITE is like hitting the jackpot in vegas- except the slot machine only pays out in street creds. But you know, it's like I've always said: may the fattest wallet cross the finish line first!! Haha. J/K.

Hope to see you out of region next year. Beautiful ride (Shad) & best of luck (Kip) in the coming season.

Cheers,

John

Re: Don't listen to 'em Kip

You're now an official member of a very unique group. ............crazy enough to blow a crap ton of money pursuing their dream...
They laughed at Forrest Gump too. :wink:

[cue Brian jumping in here with more abuse] :rolleyes:

Nice car! Keep up the good work and good luck to all the NSX's running.

I just love all the full race interior and then there is the.... factory R shift knob.

LOL... that is just great.

CONGRATS on doing it right! The fab work looks like there's a TIG artist involved. Are you going to build a fuel cell, & will you modify the rear wheel hubs / axle stubs?
Many replies debate what level of build should be undertaken, or even contemplated? You may want to check out my "over the top" project LS7NSX.
It is my intent to "spank" ANY 996 cup car, Viper competition coupe, GT Corvette etc. YES,---it is VERY expensive to do the job right----but that's what I'm doing, especially since I'm the one who will be driving it at over 200mph (on a long track) You can see 60 photos of my build at http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/album.php?u=10037
Thanks for looking!
Dale

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would post some info about the new race car we are building in house for Kip Olson. We started with his very clean and low miles 1991 NSX (Sorry Brandon, Yes we did use his car). It took about 40 hours to strip the car down to bare chassis. Another 20 plus hours to remove all of the unneeded chassis sheet metal (trunk, dash, etc.) Then it took about 5 days at the paint stripper to get all of the under coating and most of the seal sealer off. When we started to do the roll cage the chassis weighed only 374 lbs. My personal goal it to get this NSX as close to 2200 lbs (without driver or fuel) as we can. Here are some pictures of the progress and I will post some more of the construction. Cheers, Shad
View attachment 44461

View attachment 44462

View attachment 44463

View attachment 44464

View attachment 44465

Many replies debate what level of build should be undertaken, or even contemplated?

You know the saying: if you have an extra lambo or two at your third house you can do without for a year, then maybe GT racing is for you.

It is my intent to "spank" ANY 996 cup car, Viper competition coupe, GT Corvette etc.

Frankly, the easiest/cheapest way is to just go buy one or do arrive & drive, get the seat-time and do it. If just 'spanking' cup cars is the bottom line then for less than the cost of a new car a modern CSR/DSR could get the job done.

YES,---it is VERY expensive to do the job right----

So then with all respect, why pursue it? Frankly, while I can appreciate the effort evident here... developing the NSX to a pro prep level and fielding it is not all that particularly realistic of a dream on a privateer budget. Unless perhaps, maybe you have the money vault from duck tales sitting in your backyard and just like to be eccentric & unique - it's usually not viable to competitively field without some degree of cost controls built-in, even for teams with big sponsors.

Why tinker for years on end and have that kind of investment and financial exposure in a chassis, when in this economy you can just go buy a nationally competitive well-sorted ride for like 50-100-200 grand and have a front-runner on grid tomorrow? Decades of R&D and cheating done for you with guaranteed results out of the box. Readily available spares when you need them. Lots of support.

Even if you don't care about any of that and are just inseparably fixated on the JDM thing, for about the same cost there are a couple of EX GT-300 front-running factory cars for sale in the 150-250K range today that literally have millions of factory dollars into them (FEA optimized carbon chassis, sequential transmission, engine development program, etc...) so for the same price why not just get the real thing?

I guess all I am suggesting (in good faith) is that I have seen this specific flavor of overly ambitious road travelled by many enthusiasts with pockets way, way deeper than my own (on RSR Replicas, Rolex Touring Cars, Dragsters, etc...) and more often than not they fail. I have formed the opinion that the days of DIY home engineering in the garage are over. Building the car is only half the battle. Then there is wind tunnel testing, shaker rigs, tens of thousands in electronics, engine tuning, track testing, etc.. Then the maintenance, and on-going costs like annual aero updates to stay competitive, etc... The engineering talent and facility access requirements alone mandate having those factory-backed support and relationships.

You can see 60 photos of my build at http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/album.php?u=10037
Thanks for looking!
Dale

Dale, your pictures detail a real passion and an amazing effort. I am sure it will be fast. If you don't mind me asking- what class is your race car being prepared for? To the best of my knowledge, many sanctioning bodies disallow having an engine from a different manufacturer as the chassis. Could you give us passive followers some more insight on your project goals / future racing effort?

Thanks,

J

John are you seriously trying to rationalize the choices by Mr. Rampserger certified financial planner:confused::wink: He built the original roof scoop to nowhere:tongue:

For those with perspiring minds;

My GOAL was to put all of the hype over Hybrids to rest, with a TRUE Hybrid! Racing technology from 5 countries all integrated into a beast of beauty! Japanese supercar, American horsepower, German precision transmission, Italian brakes, & English air jacks,weight jackers, anti-roll technology---Batteries Not Included!--haha!

Imagine if Chip Foose built a ALMS or Daytona Prototype car----would he be considering writing the check to Riley or Lola, or would he seek to take the breed to a new level----just because he can!

I certainly dont have as deep of pockets as many on this forum, but I just passed the 3rd anniversary of tearing the car down, (spend as you go--how novel!) & it's a good thing I wasnt in any particular hurry, as I have met & made friendships with many people who have volunteered their expertise / opinions on elements of my overall concept. (for example; instead of the Nascar style cage bars at the doors, I will have CF/Kevlar "crush-boxes" that are being fabbed by the same shop that builds the ones in the Pratt & Miller C6R GT-1 / GT-2 Corvettes) Principals, engineers, race team mgrs from numerous credible entitys such as Penske, Pratt & Miller, Tilton, BBS, Brembo, AP Racing, Fuelsafe, MSD Racepak, Katech, Kinsler, Dailey engineering, JME enterprises, & the list goes on.

For those of you who dont know me, I raced the car with a stock engine for six years at many of the best fun tracks in the Southwest. It was common for my NA NSX to set quick time over a field of SC & TC NSX's anywhere---all because I've had a lifetime of racing experience---both as a driver, & in car preparation & set-up, i.e. MY NSX out-handeled everybody elses! I did grow tired, however of the turbo Porsches & Monster Corvettes blowing by me on any track with a long straight! Hence my "project" was born out of necessity---the need to constantly go faster!

FYI, you're right about sanctioning bodies rules being a bit short-sighted! The "Ultimate Hybrid NSX" is being built to run in certain "outlaw" events, "unlimited" and/or "exhibition" classes in events like Time Attack, some special appearances at Formula Drift, some "Magazine" events like the 200mph shootout, & Open Track Challenge. I'm expecting to support the appearance schedule through the revenue generated from "MsBadwrench" special appearances---I'm not kidding about training an all-girl (drop-dead gorgeous) pit crew! The racecar will be in MsBadwrench livery, & be featured in tradeshows & even pre-packaged MsBadwrench TV segments on SPEED----SOOOO---there IS madness to my method! Besides, I actually enjoy the engineering & fabrication aspect---keeps me out of the topless bars!

A complete documentary & technical dialogue will soon be up at www.LS7NSX.com

If ANYONE has a connection to a CF fab facility with a LARGE autoclave, I would greatly appreciate a referral---just show them this post, & chances are they might want to get in on the publicity side of this project! (Did I mention I am a blatant self-promoter?--haha!)

Last edited:
For those with perspiring minds;
My GOAL was to put all of the hype over Hybrids to rest, with a TRUE Hybrid! Racing technology from 5 countries all integrated into a beast of beauty! Japanese supercar, American horsepower, German precision transmission, Italian brakes, & English air jacks,weight jackers, anti-roll technology---Batteries Not Included!--haha!

What, no Aussie Electronics? :confused:

Imagine if Chip Foose built a ALMS or Daytona Prototype car----

hmm, maybe someone could chime in here with some photoshop skills and give me a hand here....

We'll just start with this...

9580_1_lg.jpg

Then let's see, we are going to need a blower sticking out of the hood...
0605st_01_z+chip_foose_custom_s10+side_view.jpg

Cap it off with some 22" meat and custom graphics... should really set it apart at pre-grid...

112_2006_sema_227x+Chip_Foose_hemisfear+front_view.jpg

Almost forgot, the Dynamat...

Chip_Foose_and_Dynamat.jpg

For those of you who dont know me, I raced the car with a stock engine for six years at many of the best fun tracks in the Southwest.

Awesome. SCCA, NASA, what class?

It was common for my NA NSX to set quick time over a field of SC & TC NSX's anywhere---all because I've had a lifetime of racing experience---both as a driver, & in car preparation & set-up, i.e. MY NSX out-handeled everybody elses!

Racing fields of NSXes with Forced Induction. Hmm, I must have a really weak region... :cool:

FYI, you're right about sanctioning bodies rules being a bit short-sighted! The "Ultimate Hybrid NSX" is being built to run in certain "outlaw" events, "unlimited" and/or "exhibition" classes in events like Time Attack, some special appearances at Formula Drift, some "Magazine" events like the 200mph shootout, & Open Track Challenge.

Another one going the unlimited route. :smile:

I'm not kidding about training an all-girl (drop-dead gorgeous) pit crew!

Ok, if you need any help with the training, let me know and I'll fly down. It's really anything I can do to help another prime member. Thinking: It put the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again... :tongue:

Last edited:
John, I like your sense of humor!

My "Active" racing years in the car were 1999 thru 2005, mostly NASA, some PCA, some Trackmasters, NSXPO's at Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Texas Motor Speedway, Firebird International, & even a handful of the Mark Johnson (Dali) Pahrump events.
I'll be the first to admit many NSX racers have caught up since then! The reason my car out-handled most others was because I was one of the first to have a true "full-cage" car, I also was the first (that I know of) to build a carbon fiber rear wing (IMSA GTP Rulebook specs)---Plus race rubber, suspension tuning & corner weight skills are just a part of my DNA.
Last, but not least, I came out of racing shifter karts for 6 years---with a pretty significant win ratio.I was the "old fart" routinely beating Buddy Rice, Alex Barron, & even their senior, Paul Tracy. It was fun, but I got bored, & couldn't afford a Mosler or Saleen---tried a Radical---nowhere to race (back then)---SOOOO, well the rest is history!
Dale

Last edited:
Back