• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frist drive of HONDA HSC!!

NetViper said:
It sound like we are pretty evenly split on Turbo/No Turbo.

So, I again say, why not make a NA version and Turbo version just like Porsche.

It works for them.

That way all of you non-turbo can get a 3.5L 380 HP car.

All of the turbo fans can get a 3.5L 450HP Turbo.

Make the price of the NA car 70K and Turbo 90K. We have a winner!

Then everybody can be happy!

well then again, those NA guys might whine and complain about not enought hp. ;)

Actually I would get the NA. I prefer the NA linear output, the added reliability of the NA, the reduced fuel consumpption of the NA and 380 hp are more than enough for me. Furthermore 70k is a great price... it would be quite affordable in only 2-3 years after someone else gets the big hit! :D

Enzo said:
I would prefer a NA 3.5L 450HP NSX ! :p :D
:D

That would be nice, but Honda would need a bigger motor to do that. Ferrari is going to a 4.2L V8 to get close to 480 HP.. I guess the 3.6 could not handle that. Of course another reason why they are going 4.2 is for the extra low-end torque.

MAKO said:
Japanese high end cars are not status symbols in the US, and the general perception is that you're a fool to buy one over a Benz or BMW.

I must be a fool. I think Benz sucks. A glorified taxi cab. Oh wait, thats just here in America.

Get real. If the product is worth the money, then people will buy it. Period. It does not matter what the car's origin is.

It struck me while reading this thread that the model Honda should use as an example is the 911.

How many of you think the 911 is an exotic car? I certainly don't. And that OK as far as I'm concerned regarding the NSX.

Make the next gen NSX compete and be better than the new 911.

That means the weight will be about the same, the HP should be in the high-300 range (370-390), and the price should be less than $80K.

Of course, this goes against what Honda execs have openly said, that the next gen NSX should outgun the 360 Modena, Gallardo, etc.

Hmmm....I'd be happy with the first one.

-jim

Jimbo said:
It struck me while reading this thread that the model Honda should use as an example is the 911.

How many of you think the 911 is an exotic car? I certainly don't. And that OK as far as I'm concerned regarding the NSX.

Make the next gen NSX compete and be better than the new 911.

That means the weight will be about the same, the HP should be in the high-300 range (370-390), and the price should be less than $80K.

Of course, this goes against what Honda execs have openly said, that the next gen NSX should outgun the 360 Modena, Gallardo, etc.

Hmmm....I'd be happy with the first one.

-jim

The 911 on itself is not an exotic, but many folks consider the performance of the GT3/TT/GT2 equal or perhaps even better than the exotics, so it's a hard call to make.

Porsche has been very smart in regards to the way that they have distributed the costs for the design/production of the 996/Boxster series, many components were shared amongst both cars, many variations came out from the original program: Boxster/Boxster S, C2, C4, C2S, C4S, Cabs, Targa's, TT, GT2's and GT3's. And even the new 997 shares about 80% of the running gear from the 996.

That being said a 911 and the Boxster *is* a very common car here in CA. So the sense of exclusivity is not as high as other boutique brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc, etc.

But there is no question that Porsche does not *lose* money on the cars, and it's the series that actually brought Porsche to record sales.

FYI: By the time that you get an actual 911 (996 and from what I hear the 997 pricing should be similar) out of the door with all of the options that you choose, you are paying quite a bit over 80K for the car.

So we can keep our fingers crossed, I for one would like to see a next generation NSX that is actually bigger than the current generation NSX (note that I did not say heavier). I was sad to read the specs about the HSC stating that the car was *shorter* than the current model :(.

Compared side by side between a 360/355/Gallardo a NA1/NA2 NSX looks pretty small in size.

Ken

Ken,

Why bigger?

More interior room? More trunk room?

-Jim

Jimbo said:
Ken,

Why bigger?

More interior room? More trunk room?

-Jim

Hi Jim,

More headroom and interior space for one, several of my friends and people who I know considered the NSX, but finally decided against it because they could not fit in the current generation car or found the car a bit claustrophobic :(, they all ended up buying something else instead [911, Ferrari 355/360/550, Jaguar, Masserati Coupe, etc, etc].

My NSX fits me like a glove so I don't complain too much now that I have the Type-S seat that gives me more headroom when I use my helmet, but I understand why folks who have a long torso and long legs would be turned off by the NSX.

I would actually like to see a next gen NSX with a longer wheelbase and wider track because it would make the car handle better as well as looking a bit more exotic.

As far as trunk space goes, if they get rid of the spare tire and make a wider and longer car there should be sufficient space up front for some luggage even if they get rid of the rear trunk.

BTW: I'm sure that the track and length issue won't be addressed because it would make the car too impractical for the Japanesse market and the smaller streets there.

And finally I would like to have at least a choice for a performance model, instead of being told by Acura (Honda USA) what I can and can't have on my car.

Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I never seriously considered buying a Porsche because there has not been a model that really excited me that was available in the US. (The GT3 MK1 comes to mind, it was never available in the US though)

But given how *late* the 2nd gen NSX has been to the market and the availability of the track ready/friendly GT3 (MK II)in the US for a limited time I ended up placing an order for one.

At this point the next generation NSX would need to be a very good car for me to consider buying one.

and the general perception is that you're a fool to buy one over a Benz or BMW.

Fools are prone to general perceptions :D

BTW: I'm sure that the track and length issue won't be addressed because it would make the car too impractical for the Japanesse market and the smaller streets there

Some new model just relased, now has cameras fitted under the rear view mirrors so you can see how close you are to the gutter.

The term 'street' should be used loosely in Japan, walkway seems more appropriate!:)

Back