• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Coffee

lol.....what do serve you patrons at the restaurant?

illy has a big commercial following...but I have no idea why:confused:

If I'm out and about it's Tim Hortons. At home I use Nespresso . I drink my coffee black. The stronger the better.

I prefer Kona coffee especially since I live in Kona. Good coffee beans are easy to find and the annual Kona Coffee Festival took place over the past week. There is also a coffee and dessert tasting hosted by the Four Seasons in August, where you can compare numerous coffee from growers and vote for your favorite.

For a treat try some chocolate covered pea berry beans, great for dessert.

Aloha

I'm with you.....

Tim Horton's for me..
Offered all across Canada, (every corner of every town, and city), also a smattering in the US: OH, PA , NY, NJ, DE, and IN

I always liked Don Francisco Espresso that I brew in my espresso machine. I find regular coffee is a bit to watered down for me and lacks the punch that a well packed espresso shot can deliver.

Lately my wife is all into Fair trade/Organic coffee. Any body have any good recommendations?

Counter culture has some great coffee that fits that bill. Trying them out a number of years ago changed my approach completely. Now I roast my own part of the time and buy counterculture much of the time. Other good suppliers are stumptown and the odd place here and there.

I prefer Kona coffee especially since I live in Kona. Good coffee beans are easy to find and the annual Kona Coffee Festival took place over the past week. There is also a coffee and dessert tasting hosted by the Four Seasons in August, where you can compare numerous coffee from growers and vote for your favorite.

For a treat try some chocolate covered pea berry beans, great for dessert.

Aloha

My favorite coffee is the peaberry beans from Greenwell Farms!

Here's a newsflash. Coffee is a commodity and is the bulk of it is traded in NYC on the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE). One NYC coffee futures contract represents 37,500 pounds of coffee.There are smaller exchanges in London, Brazil, Singapore and Tokyo. In other words most of the Arabica and Robusta blends sold commercially all come from the same place. In the U.S., Kraft, Nestle , Procter & Gamble and Sara Lee are the major roasters and combined they buy about 50% of the annual production. Buying coffee at a place like Starbucks is, for lack of a better term, idiotic. Especially when the same crap is sold down the street for a fraction of the price. There are of course smaller regional coffees not traded which are damn good. The consensus best of the best is Jamaican Blue Mountain.

the best home brew would by illy in a french press, using good water (water free of chlorine, salts etc.)
i do not use illy because it is twice as much $$ as everything else.
i do not use a french press because it is too much work.
my standard home brew is lavazza in a bialetti stove top espresso pot using filtered water.
i heat some milk in a microwave to make it into a latte. then i add a 1-2 teaspoons of starbuck's mocha powder (basically chocolate powder) to turn it into a mocha.
the mocha pots are too hard to maintain IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n:16310101,p_4:Lavazza

http://www.amazon.com/Medium-Ground...66075&sr=1-1&keywords=bialetti+espresso+maker

http://www.bialetti.com/www.bialett...-1_7_21.html?zenid=c6s6aj11dv0eu370ef2f5eofv6

Last edited:
Looking for some home coffee-making advice from the NSX Prime crowd, since you all have impeccable taste in cars & car forums. My girlfriend got me a Breville frother for Christmas after I fell in love with hers. She's a pastry chef so she's been around her fair share of good coffee, and she raves about her out-of-town friend's pour-over coffee (that I've yet to experience) like we talk about NA2 coupes (like I've yet to experience). Even though I haven't tried either, I'm thinking there's something to them that I need to try one day... I've been French-pressing my coffee at home for years, buying pre-ground coffee by the bag but now that I've succumbed to the magic of heated/frothed milk made at home, I want to step up my game for coffee made at home. I don't like the idea of keurig or any similar disposable waste-generating systems that take up too much counter space, so those are completely off the table.

Looking to get a burr grinder & a pour-over setup, and looking for advice from NSX owners since you all obviously have very good taste.

I like hot & cold, so after a little research online I bought this for cold-coffee making:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UEPGFY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Next I'd like to buy a grinder. I could roll the dice on a $20 highly-rated China-made grinder at Amazon but I'd appreciate seeing if anyone else has any advice for what I seek:
- Want USA, German, or Japan made ideally. (No China, just because)
- Manual/hand grinder preferred, since I'd like to keep the cost under ~$40. In fact I'd almost prefer a manual grinder. I prefer manual steering coupes with 15"/16" wheels, so I'm a down-to-the-basics kinda guy. :) Also I prefer not accumulating electric cooking/kitchen knick-knacks & devices and I prefer keeping my kitchen counters bare, so something simple I can easily store in the cupboard is ideal.
- What's your favorite as far as consistency of grind, quality/durability (has lasted a long time), and ease of cleaning?

Next I'd like to try the whole pour-over routine and see what that's all about. Any advice for your favorite quality reasonably-priced pour-over setup? Techniques?

Thanks ahead of time.

Send me some money and I'll send you some thing that is "not" allowed in the US.:wink: It will be one of the most delicious coffee you will ever taste, if not, the most delicious.

Is this offer still open 9 years later? :) Or is the coffee now available in the US?

the best home brew would by illy in a french press, using good water (water free of chlorine, salts etc.)
i do not use illy because it is twice as much $$ as everything else.
i do not use a french press because it is too much work.
my standard home brew is lavazza in a bialetti stove top espresso pot using filtered water.
i heat some milk in a microwave to make it into a latte. then i add a 1-2 teaspoons of starbuck's mocha powder (basically chocolate powder) to turn it into a mocha.
the mocha pots are too hard to maintain IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n:16310101,p_4:Lavazza

http://www.amazon.com/Medium-Ground...66075&sr=1-1&keywords=bialetti+espresso+maker

http://www.bialetti.com/www.bialett...-1_7_21.html?zenid=c6s6aj11dv0eu370ef2f5eofv6

I'll be trying some of these.

The best coffee I've ever had is on our trips to Brazil.

Everyone uses relatively cheap pre-ground packaged coffee in paper filters (fine espresso grinds no less) with boiling water just poured over the top. Nothing fancy. The secret is the water. Like posted above, it needs to be free of chlorine and salt, but you need really hard water. My reverse osmosis home water makes terrible coffee. Filtered tap water from my outside spigots has too much chlorine from the city water. Buying bottled spring water just to make coffee seems overboard for me. I don't use my burr grinder and De'Longhi espresso machines anymore as I've become less concerned with having a great cup of coffee.

Experiment with your water. I would say it's about as equally important as the beans.

Last edited:
we have well water that is charcoal filtered and use a Breville bur grinder ....pretty much any decent bean coffee tastes great .....

Back