• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultimate Hybrid NSX Project

Totally NEW! 2-27-10

Just added some new pics to my "build" site LS7NSX.com under the "Engine & Drivetrain" gallery, & "Chassis & Suspension" gallery---inserted a few here for yucks!

DSC00010.jpg009.jpgDSC00014.jpg0001.jpg0005.jpgDSC00011.jpg

Many of you have asked for "broader perspective", and/or bigger pics----Well, it's finally up, ready for viewing---better than photo bucket, & a lot more narrative / descriptions of components in each pic & relatively WAAAY-Better! www.LS7NSX.com

NEW PHOTOS 10-01-09! Ultimate Hybrid NSX VIII (most outrageous engineering yet!)---Whats wrong with an all-girl pit crew? They are dedicated!---will be featured in a 16 month calendar (MsBadwrench.com) available for Christmas! Pics are at LS7NSX, Albums http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/album.php?u=10037

I could use some help from a "Solidworks" genius with aerospace experience (body mold modeling)
Also, still need connection to CF fab shop with large autoclave---any "real" help appreciated!

Last edited:
Ultimate Hybrid NSX clarification---scope & purpose!

For those with perspiring minds;

My GOAL was to put all of the hype over Hybrids to rest, with a TRUE Hybrid! Racing technology from 5 countries all integrated into a beast of beauty! Japanese supercar, American horsepower, German precision transmission, Italian brakes, & English air jacks, weight jackers, anti-roll technology---
Batteries Not Included!--
haha!

Imagine if Chip Foose built a ALMS or Daytona Prototype car----would he be considering writing the check to Riley or Lola, or would he seek to take the breed to a new level----just because he can!

I certainly dont have as deep of pockets as many on this forum, but I just passed the 3rd anniversary of tearing the car down, (spend as you go--how novel!) & it's a good thing I wasnt in any particular hurry, as I have met & made friendships with many people who have volunteered their expertise / opinions on elements of my overall concept. (for example; instead of the Nascar style cage bars at the doors, I will have CF/Kevlar "crush-boxes" that are being fabbed by the same shop that builds the ones in the Pratt & Miller C6R GT-1 / GT-2 Corvettes) Principals, engineers, race team mgrs from numerous credible entitys such as Penske, Pratt & Miller, Tilton, BBS, Brembo, AP Racing, Fuelsafe, MSD Racepak, Katech, Kinsler, Dailey engineering, JME enterprises, & the list goes on.

For those of you who dont know me, I raced the car with a stock engine for six years at many of the best fun tracks in the Southwest. It was common for my NA NSX to set quick time over a field of SC & TC NSX's anywhere---all because I've had a lifetime of racing experience---both as a driver, & in car preparation & set-up, i.e. MY NSX out-handled everybody elses! I did grow tired, however of the turbo Porsches & Monster Corvettes blowing by me on any track with a long straight! Hence my "project" was born out of necessity---the need to constantly go faster!

FYI, sanctioning bodies rules are a bit short-sighted! The "Ultimate Hybrid NSX" is being built to run in certain "outlaw" events, "unlimited" and/or "exhibition" classes in events like Time Attack, some special appearances at Formula Drift, some "Magazine" events like the 200mph shootout, & Open Track Challenge. I'm expecting to support the appearance schedule through the revenue generated from "MsBadwrench" special appearances---I'm not kidding about training an all-girl (drop-dead gorgeous) pit crew! The racecar will be in MsBadwrench livery, & be featured in tradeshows & even pre-packaged MsBadwrench TV segments on SPEED----SOOOO---there IS madness to my method! Besides, I actually enjoy the engineering & fabrication aspect---keeps me out of the topless bars!

A complete documentary & technical dialogue will soon be up at www.LS7NSX.com

If ANYONE has a connection to a CF fab facility with a LARGE autoclave, I would greatly appreciate a referral---just show them this post, & chances are they might want to get in on the publicity side of this project! (Did I mention I am a blatant self-promoter?--haha!)

Last edited:
LS7NSX,
I've always wondered about doing a swap like this myself. Your link has some great pictures, but I'd like to hear more about the challenges involved. It looks like you have fabricated a custom rear subframe, but are keeping the stock control arms. Is this correct? What parts did you have to fabricate to make this work? Any details you could provide about the major hurdles that had to be overcome would be most interesting. Thanks and good luck! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited:
Hmmmm,---challenges? Time & Money are the big ones!, but as far as the technical ones go---here are a few, not in any particular order.
1. Getting the rubberized undercoater & caulk-like epoxy out of all of the spot rivited seams. You cant weld aluminum with even a trace of that stuff near the weld!
2. Engineering doors & roll cage that allow reasonable ease of entry, open like a Saleen S-7, & still have windows (Lexan) that roll up & down---all without being any heavier than any other racing NSX.
3. Computing all of the suspension geometry, steering & roll centers & anti-dive / anti-squat geometry to accommodate GT sized wheels & tires & stretched wheelbase & track proportions. Sorta reverse-engineered a GT-1 Corvette. Lots of snooping around in the Rolex Series hot-pits!

As for the control arms question; Custom chrome-moly tubular control arms are being fabbed for all 4 corners. They attach to the frame via "break-away" bolt-on aluminum pick-up points (like all CF race cars) They are being designed for Billet uprights that are C-6 clones---which allows for the use of MUCH beefier spindles, hubs, & bearings (C6RS)---as well as centerlock wheels (no lugnuts for those of you in Rio Linda) There isn't one NSX piece left in the suspension---out of concerns for strength & durability!

Last edited:
Haha, wow. It sounds like there isn't much NSX at all left in your car (other than the body). This is a truly impressive project. You've redesigned and built the suspension, chassis and drivetrain! I can't wait to see the final result.

Hmmmm,---challenges? Time & Money are the big ones!, but as far as the technical ones go---here are a few, not in any particular order.
1. Getting the rubberized undercoater & caulk-like epoxy out of all of the spot rivited seams. You cant weld aluminum with even a trace of that stuff near the weld!
2. Engineering doors & roll cage that allow reasonable ease of entry, open like a Saleen S-7, & still have windows (Lexan) that roll up & down---all without being any heavier than any other racing NSX.
3. Computing all of the suspension geometry, steering & roll centers & anti-dive / anti-squat geometry to accommodate GT sized wheels & tires & stretched wheelbase & track proportions. Sorta reverse-engineered a GT-1 Corvette. Lots of snooping around in the Rolex Series hot-pits!

As for the control arms question; Custom chrome-moly tubular control arms are being fabbed for all 4 corners. They attach to the frame via "break-away" bolt-on aluminum pick-up points (like all CF race cars) They are being designed for Billet uprights that are C-6 clones---which allows for the use of MUCH beefier spindles, hubs, & bearings (C6RS)---as well as centerlock wheels (no lugnuts for those of you in Rio Linda) There isn't one NSX piece left in the suspension---out of concerns for strength & durability!

I read somewhere that chrome-moly should NOT be used for control arms...to brittle.

NEW PHOTOS 8-14-09 (most outrageous engineering yet!)---Whats wrong with an all-girl pit crew? They are dedicated!---will be featured in a 16 month calendar (MsBadwrench.com) available for Christmas! Pics are at LS7NSX, Albums http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/album.php?u=10037

I could use some help from a "Solidworks" genius with aerospace experience (body mold modeling)
Also, still need connection to CF fab shop with large autoclave---any "real" help appreciated!

NEW ALBUM 8-14-09!

PasswordJDM in Los Angles has an autoclave and love to work with projects. Try steve or Tan Nguyen. Tan is a former 1999 nsx owner and on this site as "tantheman" as well as S2ki.com

cant wait to see this project done:smile:

Can you please also post wider angle shots of some of these parts on the car? You may know what some of this is and where it goes, but to the lay eye it's just a cool looking metal piece that is getting connected somewhere on the car. I'd really like to see the position of these on the car.

Can you please also post wider angle shots of some of these parts on the car? You may know what some of this is and where it goes, but to the lay eye it's just a cool looking metal piece that is getting connected somewhere on the car. I'd really like to see the position of these on the car.

Totally NEW! 10-15-09

Many of you have asked for "broader perspective", and/or bigger pics----Well, it's finally up, ready for viewing---better than photo bucket, & a lot more narrative / descriptions of components in each pic & relatively WAAAY-Better! www.LS7NSX.com

Last edited:
This is one interesting build.....good luck with everthing....should be a beast when your done.

reminds me of a spaceship... the build quality.... :eek:

Wow. I can't help thinking that it may have been easier to build a tube chassis from the ground up. However, I think it is incredible that you are transforming an NSX into god knows what with a monster motor. Is the car going to be street legal in the end?

Wow. I can't help thinking that it may have been easier to build a tube chassis from the ground up. However, I think it is incredible that you are transforming an NSX into god knows what with a monster motor. Is the car going to be street legal in the end?

You're right!---tube chassis would've been WAY easier, if only I had known what the final configuration was going to be at the outset!
This project was supposed to be a V8 engine swap, with some minor cage "upgrades"----but, as so many race car projects go, I just wasn't content with so many of the original parameters---whole project grew more complex in so many relatively small increments that the end result is much wilder than I would have pursued with a stock NSX!

NO REGRETS!---will arguably be the most exotic NSX on the planet---but whats more fun, it should be extremely reliable (bulletproof), & infinitely safer than any other I'm aware of. FYI, I own a GTM (LS7, of course), & while it is well thought out, you couldn't pay me to race it wheel-to-wheel at speeds approaching 200 mph! It would "wad-up" in any serious event over a 100 mph, & would be nothing more than a VERY expensive coffin (IMO).

Dale

PS have you checked out my website www.LS7NSX.com ?

Dale isn't this engine too heavy for this car? I am sure ot produces a lot of power and I like the engine a lot but how does this affect the car's handling and balance? are you having to re-engineer a lot and will you have the desired balance for a race vehicle at the end?

Also can you tell me more about these crush thingies you are using or give me a link? I have no idea what these are.

Back