• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Science of Speed SOS twin turbo vs Lovefab turbo

Hey guys,

I have been lurking here for a LONG time, mostly off and on, and wanted to know if there are any guys out there who have tried either of the above setups and can comment on the pros/cons of each.

I've emailed each manufacturer individually and Cody@Lovefab and Chris@SOS are both very willing to communicate and seem like generally nice guys :)

Both kits apply to an NA2 3.2L motor. Seems like price is pretty equal when you factor in that the SOS includes an intercooler, etc.

From what i've read here, the SOS kit is pretty new, and it is true that they haven't really proved the kit. Their stuff is always top notch of course, but Lovefab has tons of cars out there with proven setups. That's a big reason IMO to go with Lovefab, just that their may be more guys out there///more support/advise/problems worked out. SOS TT is just new. IF there are problems, the first few cars will be guinea pigs unfortunately.

They both seem like great kits, and it's so hard to choose between them.

SOS asserts that the use of twin turbos are going to provide better boost response. Now, i'm not sure what the heck that means, but it sounds good to me. Maybe less lag? I haven't really been able to find any lag in any of the Lovefab videos though :)

Thanks for your support. Just trying to decide between these two great kits.

The angus kit and STMPO kits look nice also, just haven't looked into them as much.

if youre on the fence, id use logistical issues to decide... price, location etc... idk anything about lovefab, but have heard great things. SOS has always been top notch in support and info.

if one is significantly cheaper... without losing intercooler or something, then make sure the "cheaper" also includes install etc..

If you're in CA, NSXPO in Las Vegas would be a good venue to attend. I know there will be at least three ScienceofSpeed twin turbocharged NSX there and I'm sure some Lovefab turbocharged NSX. It would be good for you to see both to compare.

By the way, you should also know that neither system is CARB exempt. Our system is available with cat converters, I'm not sure if Cody ever worked these out for his system. Regardless, California requires a visual inspection as well as emissions inspection.

take care,
-- Chris

if youre on the fence, id use logistical issues to decide... price, location etc... idk anything about lovefab, but have heard great things. SOS has always been top notch in support and info.

if one is significantly cheaper... without losing intercooler or something, then make sure the "cheaper" also includes install etc..

Sure thing All good advise :)

If you're in CA, NSXPO in Las Vegas would be a good venue to attend. I know there will be at least three ScienceofSpeed twin turbocharged NSX there and I'm sure some Lovefab turbocharged NSX. It would be good for you to see both to compare.

By the way, you should also know that neither system is CARB exempt. Our system is available with cat converters, I'm not sure if Cody ever worked these out for his system. Regardless, California requires a visual inspection as well as emissions inspection.

take care,
-- Chris
Chris,

Yeah, no way to pass since no CARB sticker. Is there one in the works, or... heck no? lol... Either way, unless i can find a 'cool' smog guy, i'll probably have to revert to stock every two years. Its just a question of whether your kit or cody's kit is easier to disassemble.

It'd be nice if neither kit involved any major cutting, and correct me if i'm wrong, but i think BOTH kits do essentially just that. Cody has mentioned i'll have to cut a couple holes up front for the intercooler circulation pipe, but that's about it. Not sure about the bolt-on ness of the SOS kit. Chris?

PS: thanks for your replies.

Revert back to stock? That's insane. I think turbos are awesome but if I had to pass CA smog and emmissions checks I'd just get the Comptech Supercharger that IS CARB certified and be done with it.

Revert back to stock? That's insane. I think turbos are awesome but if I had to pass CA smog and emmissions checks I'd just get the Comptech Supercharger that IS CARB certified and be done with it.

It was definitely on my radar, but with the CT supercharger and headers/intake, i'm only looking at +~100whp TOPS, whereas for the same price/difficulty, i could have up to 500whp!

I was planning on keeping the stock exhaust (if i can) so that swapping the stuff shouldn't be too hard. I should rephrase one thing though: for whichever turbo setup i get, i can leave the intercooler stuff in place. I'll just take out from the exhaust manifold and back and replace with stock manifold, etc.

Ideally, i find some guy who will just pass me. I don't mind spending $100 or whatever the 'tip' is supossed to be so that i can leave my car the heck alone!

I think you are being a little naive. It's not that easy. What are you going to do with the engine management? Injectors? Fuel pump? This is hours and hours of work (or many hundreds of dollars). And your car will be out of commission for a while. It is just TOO IMPRACTICAL. I think you will NOT be doing this.

As for 500HP, How do you figure? To have 500 you need a fully built motor. How do you figure that is the same price as a CTSC?

I don't think you've done enough research here. If I may humbly ask, why do you need 500HP? I mean... what is the reason you want to do FI anyway? Where in CA are you? What year is your NSX?

Last edited:
If you get caught between those two years by the popo, what happens???
At least the SOS has cats and won't smell and might pass the visual. Without cats, your car will smell like gas, especially from someone driving behind you.
On one of our annual canyon runs, I followed Cdub in his catless car and it was impossible to not notice the fumes

I think you are being a little naive. It's not that easy. What are you going to do with the engine management? Injectors? Fuel pump? This is hours and hours of work (or many hundreds of dollars). And your car will be out of commission for a while. It is just TOO IMPRACTICAL. I think you will NOT be doing this.

As for 500HP, How do you figure? To have 500 you need a fully built motor. How do you figure that is the same price as a CTSC?

I don't think you've done enough research here. If I may humbly ask, why do you need 500HP? I mean... what is the reason you want to do FI anyway? Where in CA are you? What year is your NSX?

Naivety:
-I was under the impression that everything 'done' to the motor like the injectors, fuel pump, intercooler assembly, could be left on, while i take all of the bolt-on stuff after and including the exhaust manifold and replace with the factory stuff. Maybe i misunderstood what the manu's have told me. Quite possible :)

-AEM F/IC can just be removed right, since it only handles the boost zones (and is a plug/play setup that piggybacks to the factory ECU)

500 whp:
-This is just a big number to throw out there. I don't think i'll need that, but it'd be nice to know that i can have it. Of course, having a super peaky beast that kicks in at 6K to 'get' that 500 whp is not really very interesting to me either, so of course i would sacrifice a little top end HP to have a nice even TQ feel throughout the RPM range.

-The fact is that the CT setup would likely get me around 350whp, which is nearly 100whp over stock. Not a small feat at all! About the same as i would guess the SOS 3.8L stroker NA build would provide. Both nice options. I know a lot of guys get obsessed with just 'having' those crazy HP numbers, but let's be honest, even though the NSX has so much going for it aesthetically, handling-wise, fit/finish, rarity, etc. over the big american/euro cars (Z06, 911 turbo/GT3, etc.), there is just no arguing with those cars that are producing well over 200 whp more than the NSX. There's just no comparison. So there has to be a little validity in wanting more power to suit everything else that is great about the NSX over the 'other' options out there. Please don't confuse this desire with blind "i want 500 whp" (which, in your defense, is probably how I came off initially, and how a lot of peeps do).

-I was also under the impression that 400-450 whip is easily attainable with these turbo setups on unbuilt motor setups, and that above that, yes, indeed, a motor build would be a great reliability booster. I would definitely go for such a build if i went over 450 whp. Again, i was just throwing 500 out there as a sort of upper limit of what i would be comfortable Daily driving the NSX. And also, again, i was under the impression that such a 'built' motor would still pass emissions tests with the same 'passibility' that the non-built motor would, since the engine is just more robust, rather than more powerful. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Research:
-Actually, i think my problem is that i've done too much research. It's the death of anything really. one ends up in situations similar to this one. Then one decides on a option, enjoys it for a while, honeymoon wears off, and then it's back to researching for something else. IME anyways. But you might be right, i should do some more reading, but that was half the point of this thread...to get answers because my current research has left a few questions...just trying to get those answered :)

The big answer:
-I live in Southern California, the heartland of all this type of tuner stuff. Alas, I am not an NSX owner, but hope to be someday (duh). I shudder to think what this omission will do for the possibility of getting anymore of my questions answered here (or via email with the manu's mentioned), since i might fall into the category of "this guy is here asking questions but not really able to do anything with the information. peace!" category. eh, i hope not. But i just want to be honest about my situation. NSXprime seems to be a place where non-owners can come and get their questions answered...hopefully this thread will not be an exception to my perception :)

I think doing a berlina 02+ type-r copy would be a really cool thing. Don't see those (or any NSX) around too much, and i'd like a powerplant that can keep up with those z06's and the likes :)

FYI...it's $500 for a 'smog check' in socal if you need that kind of smog check.
Ouch lol
If you get caught between those two years by the popo, what happens???
At least the SOS has cats and won't smell and might pass the visual. Without cats, your car will smell like gas, especially from someone driving behind you.
On one of our annual canyon runs, I followed Cdub in his catless car and it was impossible to not notice the fumes

I guess I didn't think about the possibility that a police officer might not like they way my car looks/sounds/smells... dang. Are you saying that i might get screwed if/when i get pulled over for a moving violation, or if i get pulled over in general for having a heavily modified vehicle (which i think is straight up illegal in this great state of CA...sigh)?

Ouch lol

I guess I didn't think about the possibility that a police officer might not like they way my car looks/sounds/smells... dang. Are you saying that i might get screwed if/when i get pulled over for a moving violation, or if i get pulled over in general for having a heavily modified vehicle (which i think is straight up illegal in this great state of CA...sigh)?
I would say that depends on the officer. When I had my titanium exhaust on the M3, I only got pulled over once for the noise. The officer told me to pull it off and if it was still on the next time he saw me, I would get a ticket.

If you keep the engine bay covered, a quick look at it shouldn't garner any suspicion. Drive like a granny whenever cops are around and never go past 1/4 throttle and things should be fine.

Out of nowhere, checkpoints happen and cars get inspections on the spot. Tampering with emission equipment results in impound.

Removal of any federally mandatated and/or approved pollution control devices, of any sort, is a federal violation.

According to Title II of the EPA Clean Air Act (Enacted Jan 1 1988) there are multiple regulations concerning emission control tampering, and or the removal and/or modification of a stock catalytic converters.

Re: catalytic converters - According to various parts of Section 203, all aftermarket catalytic converters must be EPA certified, and your car must have a gas conversion device of some manner. If not, both you and the installer are punishable of a Federal Offense by Section 205 (a). The operator's fine can be no more than $2,500 and the installation agency no more than $25,000.

Search the epa's website for more info.

Or, keep MrTickets website handy :biggrin:

I'm going to sound like a broken record because I have said this so many times but I am going to say it again. Lets back up a bunch of steps:

In general, the purpose of buying a sports car is that a sports car is more fun to drive than is a standard poor-handling, slow-accelerating, numb-steering-feel car. I think sometimes you have to ask basic questions... why am I buying this car?

So most guys then get in this dilemma, like you find yourself in... how much performance can I buy? I am sure if we all could have Veyron acceleration and FXX handling, no one would say no. You want the most performance, because... you think that will be the most fun. But this is a myth. There are many cars that are very fast, but not that fun. If your car accelerates hard but the steering feel is numb, that's not fun. If the car has great performance but looks kinda ugly, that takes away from the excitement factor. If it has a great engine but the exhaust note is that of a UPS truck, that's no fun. If the car has great performance but you are forced to drive 35MPH in traffic, that too, is no fun.

Part of the appeal is the sound, the look, the design, the pizazz. Right? It isn't just about speed. This is part of the NSX's draw, its sex appeal. Now, you are sitting there like I did years ago pondering the purchase of a car, looking at the NSX's slinky body, and wondering if 300 HP will be enough for you. Right? I had a Comptech Supercharger on order BEFORE I took delivery of my car.

I put the CTSC on, and HOLY COW... now I could take off at the stop light like a bat out of hell and probably outrun most cars. Of course... it never really ends, then you need the next mod, the next set of wheels, etc.

Last week I had my 17th day at a racetrack. I went to Watkins Glen with the Ferrari club, and can tell you for sure that my supercharged NSX was probably one of the slowest cars there. In the hands of my instructor, my slow NSX could probably LAP the fastest Ferrari there. You soon realize that a bone stock NSX is FAR superior to what most drivers can handle. One has no idea how bad of a driver he really is until he is out on a racetrack with pros. Does it really matter if you have 550 HP but a better driver can school you in a 200 HP car? I am asking...

Suppose you have 600 HP in your car. What do you do with it? Race a Vette at a stoplight down Santa Monica Boulevard? OK... it's fun for about 20 seconds... unless you get busted. What else can you do? Put your girlfriend in there and as you enter the highway hammer the throttle and have it suck you into the seat... right? pretty cool... she says "wow"... OK... 10 seconds of fun are now over. Maybe you want to find a stretch of road and see how fast you can hit 150?

I am just trying to bring up any and all scenarios as to why people want 500 HP. If there are others, please chime in.

Now I can tell you first hand, and I am just a newb, that taking a car that is truly capable like an NSX on a real road course is about 15 levels up from doing any of the shit we mentioned above. It's then that you start to understand what real fun is. It's there that you go through an experience few people go through, because they are still busy modding a car they already can't handle well. It's there that you understand that "fast" has very little to do with horsepower.

I am really going off on a tangent, but I am trying to make you think a little. The NSX... in stock form... is faster on a racetrack than many many many cars. Do you want to know what that kind of fun is like? It is a rush that cannot be equaled even if you put 800 HP in your NSX. Imagine the height of your thrill when you take an off-ramp fast or accelerate hard out of a corner, multiply it times 5, and make it last 20-30 intense minutes at a time. That is what will happen when you have an NSX on a track. Even here on prime, few guys will ever appreciate that. And so the forums go on... about if a turbo is better or a supercharger is better.

To answer your questions:

1) No, you cannot just unbolt stuff and expect the car to run. Your entire fuel management must change with it. What you propose is extremely impractical.

2) I think most would agree that you are putting SERIOUS strain on the motor going much above 400 HP on stock internals. And that is not an on/off or strain/no strain switch set at 400. The stock internals by Honda were designed to go 300K miles easy with 250 or so WHP. Push that to 350 with a CTSC, and you are going lower its life. Go to 400, lower it even more. Or you can try 450 for a few weeks. I'm not against power... I would LOVE to have a 550 HP turbo... but try to go cheap and you will pay with a new engine.

3) building a motor with stronger internals will not affect emissions, so long as you do not alter the bore/stroke or engine management.

** This part is my opinion only ** : To me, the Comptech supercharger is the simplest and most reliable FI system there is. There are tons out there with many many miles and many are driven on the racetrack. Can a turbo be as reliable or even more so? Of course! But not on the cheap. The Comptech system also has the most NA like feel, and the most NA like power band. A stroker motor can be the same, but it is expensive, it is NOT SIMPLE (contrary to what many think), and it is just a bit shorter on power. A turbo also will generally not have the same flat power band as a roots type supercharger from 0-8K, but there is something to be said for all the extra power and torque it produces. Linearity only goes so far... It's like a girl with a terrific personality... you know what I mean?

Even if you try aftercooling the supercharger, you will immediately get into much more complexity. An intercooler, a heat exchanger, a water pump and all it's related lines. The extra power now requires fuel management, injectors, fuel pump, tuning. The cooler has to sit between the blower and the engine... imagine the heat it must dissipate... and as the engine works harder, that cooler becomes less and less effective. These are just compromises. Every design has compromises.

So what I am advocating to you, is just take your NSX to the track one time. Take it there bone stock. If you leave and feel the car is slow and you need 500 HP, then I will eat every word I have ever written. Start there. Start at the place where this car belongs. Then you will know how to mod, when to mod, and when and at what point you really do need 500 HP. The next time you are at a meet and a guy says "This car isn't fast, it only has 300 HP" ask him if he knows how to double clutch, heel and toe, rev match and drop down two gears heading into a right hand turn after hitting 135 on the back straight.

I just realized this reply is the longest I have ever written in the 5000+ posts I have on prime. And you don't even own an NSX. :wink:

Last edited:
wow, that is a really long post. I will say that is by far the longest thread post I have read since i've been here. Dont know why I couldn't stop reading it. The facts are that california sucks emissions wise. Anytime has said countless times you will run the risk of getting a ticket. I personally love way a turbo sounds and although the supercharger is more practical in cali, I just love the turbo spool. The fact that my car smells like a gas station for miles behind me is a risk (trust me a friend claimed he was getting light headed in his s2k top down after only 5 miles to a burger place lol). But life is a risk. Play it safe, keep cats and a supercharger or go all out turbo and test pipes. I figure you only live once right.........unless you get ticket after ticket for emissions problems ;)

We recently laid down 497WHP at just 9psi of boost on our 150,000 mile shop car 3.0 liter motor. Due to years of dedicated work, we have raised the efficiency of the turbo system to astronomical levels.

497WHP350WTQCodysShopcar.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nh0S75b6Rwo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nh0S75b6Rwo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

At 8psi of boost.
463WHP328WTQCodysshopcarat8psifirstrun.jpg

And we drive the hell out of the car at these levels:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLj0ikhR85s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLj0ikhR85s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Any questions?

You're being condescending. not to mention, naive.

You should be able to remove all aspects of a turbo or SC setup, leaving in the injectors/fuel pump and the car should run/idle fine. My AEM FIC doesn't care if my SC (at well over 500 hp on a pretty much stock motor) is running or not. WHEN it sees boost, it acts accordingly. IF it DOESN't see boost, it acts accordingly. So shouldn't be too hard to swap back and forth for emissions.

Plus i have race cats which get me through emissions every year here in AZ (admittedly not as stringent as CA) with ZERO additional work. I leave ALL aspects of my system in place and running, and pass emission.

I'm going to sound like a broken record because I have said this so many times but I am going to say it again. Lets back up a bunch of steps:

In general, the purpose of buying a sports car is that a sports car is more fun to drive than is a standard poor-handling, slow-accelerating, numb-steering-feel car. I think sometimes you have to ask basic questions... why am I buying this car?

So most guys then get in this dilemma, like you find yourself in... how much performance can I buy? I am sure if we all could have Veyron acceleration and FXX handling, no one would say no. You want the most performance, because... you think that will be the most fun. But this is a myth. There are many cars that are very fast, but not that fun. If your car accelerates hard but the steering feel is numb, that's not fun. If the car has great performance but looks kinda ugly, that takes away from the excitement factor. If it has a great engine but the exhaust note is that of a UPS truck, that's no fun. If the car has great performance but you are forced to drive 35MPH in traffic, that too, is no fun.

Part of the appeal is the sound, the look, the design, the pizazz. Right? It isn't just about speed. This is part of the NSX's draw, its sex appeal. Now, you are sitting there like I did years ago pondering the purchase of a car, looking at the NSX's slinky body, and wondering if 300 HP will be enough for you. Right? I had a Comptech Supercharger on order BEFORE I took delivery of my car.

I put the CTSC on, and HOLY COW... now I could take off at the stop light like a bat out of hell and probably outrun most cars. Of course... it never really ends, then you need the next mod, the next set of wheels, etc.

Last week I had my 17th day at a racetrack. I went to Watkins Glen with the Ferrari club, and can tell you for sure that my supercharged NSX was probably one of the slowest cars there. In the hands of my instructor, my slow NSX could probably LAP the fastest Ferrari there. You soon realize that a bone stock NSX is FAR superior to what most drivers can handle. One has no idea how bad of a driver he really is until he is out on a racetrack with pros. Does it really matter if you have 550 HP but a better driver can school you in a 200 HP car? I am asking...

Suppose you have 600 HP in your car. What do you do with it? Race a Vette at a stoplight down Santa Monica Boulevard? OK... it's fun for about 20 seconds... unless you get busted. What else can you do? Put your girlfriend in there and as you enter the highway hammer the throttle and have it suck you into the seat... right? pretty cool... she says "wow"... OK... 10 seconds of fun are now over. Maybe you want to find a stretch of road and see how fast you can hit 150?

I am just trying to bring up any and all scenarios as to why people want 500 HP. If there are others, please chime in.

Now I can tell you first hand, and I am just a newb, that taking a car that is truly capable like an NSX on a real road course is about 15 levels up from doing any of the shit we mentioned above. It's then that you start to understand what real fun is. It's there that you go through an experience few people go through, because they are still busy modding a car they already can't handle well. It's there that you understand that "fast" has very little to do with horsepower.

I am really going off on a tangent, but I am trying to make you think a little. The NSX... in stock form... is faster on a racetrack than many many many cars. Do you want to know what that kind of fun is like? It is a rush that cannot be equaled even if you put 800 HP in your NSX. Imagine the height of your thrill when you take an off-ramp fast or accelerate hard out of a corner, multiply it times 5, and make it last 20-30 intense minutes at a time. That is what will happen when you have an NSX on a track. Even here on prime, few guys will ever appreciate that. And so the forums go on... about if a turbo is better or a supercharger is better.

To answer your questions:

1) No, you cannot just unbolt stuff and expect the car to run. Your entire fuel management must change with it. What you propose is extremely impractical.

2) I think most would agree that you are putting SERIOUS strain on the motor going much above 400 HP on stock internals. And that is not an on/off or strain/no strain switch set at 400. The stock internals by Honda were designed to go 300K miles easy with 250 or so WHP. Push that to 350 with a CTSC, and you are going lower its life. Go to 400, lower it even more. Or you can try 450 for a few weeks. I'm not against power... I would LOVE to have a 550 HP turbo... but try to go cheap and you will pay with a new engine.

3) building a motor with stronger internals will not affect emissions, so long as you do not alter the bore/stroke or engine management.

** This part is my opinion only ** : To me, the Comptech supercharger is the simplest and most reliable FI system there is. There are tons out there with many many miles and many are driven on the racetrack. Can a turbo be as reliable or even more so? Of course! But not on the cheap. The Comptech system also has the most NA like feel, and the most NA like power band. A stroker motor can be the same, but it is expensive, it is NOT SIMPLE (contrary to what many think), and it is just a bit shorter on power. A turbo also will generally not have the same flat power band as a roots type supercharger from 0-8K, but there is something to be said for all the extra power and torque it produces. Linearity only goes so far... It's like a girl with a terrific personality... you know what I mean?

Even if you try aftercooling the supercharger, you will immediately get into much more complexity. An intercooler, a heat exchanger, a water pump and all it's related lines. The extra power now requires fuel management, injectors, fuel pump, tuning. The cooler has to sit between the blower and the engine... imagine the heat it must dissipate... and as the engine works harder, that cooler becomes less and less effective. These are just compromises. Every design has compromises.

So what I am advocating to you, is just take your NSX to the track one time. Take it there bone stock. If you leave and feel the car is slow and you need 500 HP, then I will eat every word I have ever written. Start there. Start at the place where this car belongs. Then you will know how to mod, when to mod, and when and at what point you really do need 500 HP. The next time you are at a meet and a guy says "This car isn't fast, it only has 300 HP" ask him if he knows how to double clutch, heel and toe, rev match and drop down two gears heading into a right hand turn after hitting 135 on the back straight.

I just realized this reply is the longest I have ever written in the 5000+ posts I have on prime. And you don't even own an NSX. :wink:

I wholeheartedly agree with you and your take on power. I don't intend to just grab the power before i run the NSX crazy on the track. That would be doing myself a misservice i think. But to just discount the power increase [potential] and forgo it just because the NSX does everything else right, is doing a [potential] disservice the NSX! (IMO). I could have my cake and eat it too! Now i just need to decide if i want to go turbo, SC, how to avoid emissions, or, how to get outa this place :)

Thanks for your support on this thread. Everyone!

I wholeheartedly agree with you and your take on power. I don't intend to just grab the power before i run the NSX crazy on the track. That would be doing myself a misservice i think. But to just discount the power increase [potential] and forgo it just because the NSX does everything else right, is doing a [potential] disservice the NSX! (IMO). I could have my cake and eat it too! Now i just need to decide if i want to go turbo, SC, how to avoid emissions, or, how to get outa this place :)

Thanks for your support on this thread. Everyone!

Since I have been at the 250 rwhp level, then changed to 400+rwhp. I will never go back. To each there own. I feel like they should of come from the factory Turbocharged or Supercharged. Like Chris from SOS has told me. Its not that the stock internals wont take the abuse of 400hp, but if your tune is off or your detonating etc, the internals will not live long in those conditions, compared to forged internals etc. Key point, with a good tune, my motor should last along time with this set-up. My car has 139,000 miles on her. Im not worried a bit.

Just do a turbo set up with the option of reinstalling cats for inspection. Have the tuner do an "inspection tune" and a normal/race tune. This can be accomplished with the AEM EMS. You can still pass SMOG with a good set of cats and an extremely lean tune. There are many race tuners that will take a turbo tune and lean out past detonation. It is safe and provides EXTREMELY good gas mileage. This is common practice in airplanes. In any event, Cody and Chris are awesome guys that are very capable. I think the CTSC is weak sauce. I wouldn't do it either. I will be going the Lovefab route after I sell my kidney. :tongue:

Last edited:
You should be able to remove all aspects of a turbo or SC setup, leaving in the injectors/fuel pump and the car should run/idle fine.

It depends on the system. You happen to have a FIC. There is more to removal and re-installation than ac3320 is thinking there is. I still maintain doing this everytime you need an emmission inspection is a lot of work. I'm trying to save him a big headache if he ever does anything, and I offer up useful information about my own experiences. I don't know where I was being condescending.

But to just discount the power increase [potential] and forgo it just because the NSX does everything else right, is doing a [potential] disservice the NSX! (IMO).

Yeah but you know what is a REAL disservice to the NSX? Not knowing how to drive it and never experiencing on track. That's the real disservice to the car, the engineers that made it, and mostly, to yourself. Do you know what I do at most tracks on the straights? I get to a certain speed and coast... You know why? Going straight fast is not all that fun compared to taking corners correctly, braking correctly, shifting correctly, and realizing how fast you just went through a coarse... being in harmony with the car. To me, running a road coarse is when you and the car become one entity once you truly master the car. You no longer punish the car, it reacts to you and you react to it. You FEEL EVERYTHING. Pushing a car to go faster in a straight line is just punishing the drivetrain. And anyone can do that. Anyway you live in CA not far from a bunch of great tracks. Just go one day... rent a car if you have to and go to an HPDE or just go for a ride-along. It will change your mind about everything. Good luck with your decision and I hope you can at least get an NSX soon. It's a terrific car.

Last edited:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLj0ikhR85s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLj0ikhR85s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Any questions?

Yeah where is the passenger side $hit-eating grin cam? :biggrin:

Back