• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So my NSX has been getting a lot of compliments from strangers recently.

As the title states, it seems like my NSX has been getting a lot of compliments over the past few weeks. I was taking my assistants out to lunch because they have been working very hard, and a random gentleman in his 60s or so walks up to our table at a Mexican restaurant and says, 'Excuse me...is that your Honda (my NSX has all of the JDM Honda NSX parts) out in the lot,' to which I reply that it is. He says, 'When did they start making a NEW sports car? I have been waiting for them to make something new for years,' to which I had to surprise him and say, 'I know...I have been waiting for them to make something new too. That car out there is 17 years old,' which stunned him. He went on for a full 10 minutes or so about how amazing the car is, and how he cannot believe it is that old. :)

Then I have also had probably a dozen or so people from teenage girls to guys from 18 - 60 years old that have pulled up next to me at a light or in a parking lot and said things like 'nice car' or 'beautiful car', followed by the standard question of 'what is it'. :D

A couple of weeks ago I stopped at the Subaru dealer to check on a friend's car that was getting fixed, and the entire service team swarmed my car and was going crazy over it. One of the wash bay porters was a Honda guy and said how the NSX is his dream car, and went on to talk about the Civic he has, and how he hopes to one day own an NSX. So, being me, I asked him if he had ever driven an NSX or ridden in one. He said no, so of course I said, 'Well...do you want to drive this one,' and I swear he almost had a heart attack. He initially refused and said he would love to ride in the car, but was too scared to drive it. I laughed and said, 'Well...the only way you are riding in this car is if you are driving it. So hop in...besides, I am fully insured,' and laughed again so he would relax a bit. 'The only way to REALLY experience this car is to DRIVE it,' I told him...so he agreed. Let's just say that this kid was on cloud nine when he started it up and pulled away. He just kept saying, 'I cannot believe I am driving an NSX. My friends are NEVER going to believe this. The NSX is all I talk about,' and you could tell he was telling the truth. You cannot fake that kind of enthusiasm for something.

Anyway, we went back to the dealer and he thanked me about 20 times and I told him, 'You can have one too. I am not that smart. I just set a goal, worked hard, and made it happen,' and he swore he would do the same and have one of his own. It was a good day to be able to make that happen for a true fan of the NSX.

Even just the last two days I have had more than the usual amount of people complimenting the car. Being amazed how clean it is. Being even more amazed that it is 17 years old. Being flat out stunned that it has over 182,000 miles on it. :D

The guys at Auto Zone today were going on and on about how wonderful the NSX is, and how the one guys neighbor has a black automatic, and how far ahead of its time the NSX was, and still is in some areas. Keep in mind, this is in an Auto Zone in Indiana....typically only American muscle gets that kind of positive reception there.

So, I have been even happier than normal with my trusty NSX. Almost everyone seems to love it....and so do I. :)

After reading a few of your posts, it becomes evident that your connection to your car runs deeper than most peoples does. I don't really understand that passed a certain point, but it makes me believe that if you channeled that same emotion towards people you'd make a great friend.

Best to you Mitch!

That's awesome Mitch, and very cool of you to let him drive the X, his passion for the car just grew 10X

I always dress like a bum and smile a lot, so I get similar reactions from folks whenever I stop since it appears "I'm approachable." I have to say a lot of sports car owners are opposite of that.

Anyways, the first thing out of my mouth after they compliment the car is to say that it is a 20YO Honda and smile more. Then I go on to say that there are a lot nicer and faster cars out there for the money these days and Honda killed the car when they didn't upgrade it enough over it's production cycle.

I mean, it is just a car. I can see young guys getting excited over it, but to each their own. I let pretty much whoever sit in it. But there's no way anyone is going to drive it unless I know them. Just for liability reasons - some folks are reckless and have a lack of judgement. That's also why I could never be a car salesman - I'd be too nervous when I went with unknown folks on test drives.

My $0.02.

Dave

I love these kinds of stories, thats what all NSX owners should do.
thought I dont know about letting him drive it LOL.

but I have had alot more attention these few months now.
same scenario, but when I tell them i have 3 they are in shock.
then I show them the pic of all 3 side by side on my phone and then they start asking what do you do etc.etc.

but the ones I FREAKING HATE are the guys that are like my dad had 6 of them, and he just sold his Ferrari to Chuck Norris, and they are driving a rusted corolla, and they way they know everything about all cars you know they are full of sh_t, I just say cool, really, wow, nice, oh my, LOL

then they tell me how they use to have one but sold it for 5K cuz they didnt like it.

I then walk away after I can take anymore lies. LOL

Great story. That is very generous to let the kid drive your car. I am not sure I could do that. I used to take people on rides and let them sit in the drivers seat but thats where I would draw the line. That just tells me that you are a very trusting person.

In your closing sentence you mentioned "Trusty NSX" well that reminded me of the publication NSXtra when the writer would always quote that.

Anyways, the first thing out of my mouth after they compliment the car is to say that it is a 20YO Honda and smile more. Then I go on to say that there are a lot nicer and faster cars out there for the money these days and Honda killed the car when they didn't upgrade it enough over it's production cycle.
So, basically, after someone compliments you on your, car you immediately start talking it down, saying there are better cars available, and complain about the company that built it? Why? It is a special car to them, yet You are cheapening the experience for them, and come off sounding like you are sorry for purchasing it.

I always tell people (if they don't ask specific questions) that "its a lot of fun". That leaves them with a smile on their face. :)

Hi Mitch,

It sounds like you embody this as well as any of us:

Exotic Owners Code of Conduct

From NSX-Wiki

Jump to:navigation, search
<!-- start content -->[edit] How Can I Help The Image Of NSX Owners?

1998 by Joe Martz (has owned 2 NSX's plus several Italian exotics)
This morning waiting for F1 qualifying, I ginned-up the following as a personal code for myself. I don't intend this for anyone else, and you have the lovely gift of free-choice to decide on your own about these things. That said, I thought others here might be interested. As a code for myself, I might not always meet the standards I outline. But I firmly believe in self-improvement and all that stuff, so here goes...

My personal code of conduct as an exotic owner
  • My cars will always be clean and well-presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.
  • I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I met.
  • Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In-particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.
  • With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads. When asked to race, I will simply refuse.
  • Operating my cars as Enzo, Soichiro and Ferruccio intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.
  • I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.
  • I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow-up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.
  • I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
<!-- Saved in parser cache with key nsx_wikidb:pcache:idhash:143-0!1!0!!en!2 and timestamp 20111013152333 -->Retrieved from "http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Exotic_Owners_Code_of_Conduct"

This is interesting, because it has happened to me recently as well!

I rarely got comments until the last month or so. Drive thru servers young and old, guys and gals would compliment it.

This car truly is something special and it never fails to bring a smile to my face. =D..... except for when something doesnt work :redface:

So, basically, after someone compliments you on your, car you immediately start talking it down, saying there are better cars available, and complain about the company that built it? Why? It is a special car to them, yet You are cheapening the experience for them, and come off sounding like you are sorry for purchasing it.

I always tell people (if they don't ask specific questions) that "its a lot of fun". That leaves them with a smile on their face. :)

Why? Because everything I say is factual. I'm letting them realize they can buy one for the cost of a new Civic or Corolla :rolleyes: In fact, they realize that I'm a cool, down-to-earth person that didn't snub them but in fact pointed out that they could have one too.

It's also how I convey it that gets my point across as not being despiteful of my purchase and then giving them more objective information than just a flashy-looking car.

These days, you also can't be too careful. Even though my car is only worth $25k (but obviously looks like more), there are a lot of haters out there and you don't know how they are going to respond after the first round of "Hey, nice car."

Dave

Edit: I'm obviously not the type to idolize cars, especially the NSX. It has it's flaws like any other vehicle.

Last week I was driving right behind a neighbors black Audi R8. We stopped at a red light and an older couple pulled up next to us in the left turn lane. The gentleman in the passengers seat said "Nice car," to which I smiled and said "Thank you - But I would rather have the one in front of me!" He smiled back and said, "Nah - I would rather have yours!" We both got a good laugh and drove off....

Last edited:
Why? Because everything I say is factual. I'm letting them realize they can buy one for the cost of a new Civic or Corolla :rolleyes: In fact, they realize that I'm a cool, down-to-earth person that didn't snub them but in fact pointed out that they could have one too.

I'm not sure everything you say is factual. It sounded like everything you say is your impression.

You may be letting them realize that they can get an NSX, but why would they want one when an owner says things like
"Then I go on to say that there are a lot nicer and faster cars out there for the money these days and Honda killed the car when they didn't upgrade it enough over it's production cycle."

Sounds like it might be time to move on to one of those faster, better cars for the money and leave your NSX to someone who truly thinks it is a special car.

It's OK, I figured this would come from some folks that idolize this car. Look, you're a new member here, and appear to be a Honda fanboy no less from your signature. So even though I type this I don't expect for you to understand. When I was daily-driving my red NSX between Mystic CT and Suffield over 7 years ago, hopefully I didn't dissuade you from your purchase if we ever crossed paths. I would also tell people the NSX works great in the snow with the weight over the rear drive tires and the narrow front tires :biggrin:

Fact #1: It IS a 20YO Honda.
Fact #2: Especially for the NA2+, you CAN get faster, cheaper, better cars out there.
Fact #3: Honda DID kill this car when they only added a targa, one speed in the gearbox, an increase of 0.2L engine displacement, and perforated leather seats in 15 years of production :rolleyes: Why don't you head on over to the "Second Generation NSX..." forum for more folks lamenting on this same FACT.

Oh, I would move on, but the market isn't very good right now for two-seater vehicles. I already have another two-seater and can't justify another purchase. So, I've decided to address the main fault I have with this old car and bump up the power this winter with a full engine build and FI. Which brings me to another bad point of this car - the ridiculous costs to make it quicker. I already have $8k of random parts sitting on my garage floor and that doesn't include the twin turbos and machinists costs for the engine rebuild :mad:

Dave

I get compliments ATLEAST once a week. Its crazy. My car is basically stock except for these over sized wheels. I had no idea this car would bring so much attention and praise. It always makes me feel like I made the right choice buying this NSX. It also helps me meet new interesting people. Just today I ran into this guy I see a fair amount in the CVS parking lot. We talked about the NSX , how its doing, how he still loves my car , and his MR2 project he couldnt make happen.. I probably would of never met this nice guy if it wasnt for the NSX.

Saved the Exotics code of conduct from Joe, thanks for linking that.

I feel a little bad now about how I've been treating the paint on the S2000 for the last month. Good motivator!

Thanks for posting as I wondered if it was just me. I've had people leaving notes on the car about how nice it is , I come back to it after I've been in the store and people are walking around taking pictures. Crazy kids taking pics while driving ( Damn WRX'ers almost starting accidents ). Just nuts:confused:

After owning three NSX's, two pre-2002 and one 2005, I am amazed at how many more comments are made about the 2005.

not surprised @ all, the 02+ looks as if it could be a new exotic based even upon todays standards.

the original design with older bumper, side skirts and original bumper look soooo soooooooo much more dated. all imho of course.

After owning three NSX's, two pre-2002 and one 2005, I am amazed at how many more comments are made about the 2005.

Last edited:
not surprised @ all, the 02+ looks as if it could be a new exotic based even upon todays standards.

the original design with older bumper, side skirts and original bumper look soooo soooooooo much more dated. all imho of course.

I never really saw an 02+ in person until recently and yeah, that front bumper makes a HUGE difference! bah

Back