• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Longest member without an NSX - finally gets one!

I read your story and my mind goes back to 2000 when I got my NSX. I still remember details of picking up Lucille in Houston, and driving her back to Corpus Christi. 3 ish hours of absolute bliss. 23 years later I still remember like it was yesterday.
I lived in OC right before I got my car; and I know several current owners up there. The club used to be very active; now not so much. But a good bunch of owners.
That is awesome. I remember your username. Do you still have the car? I spent 8 4th of july in Houston visiting fam. They were in Galleria/Woodlands/Sugarland. Man that humidity! They moved to Saudi Aaramco to work there.

Changing the twenty-something hoses is certainly a pain in the ass and not cheap, but unless you have service records showing they have been changed, I think it is a HUGE mistake not to replace those 30+ year old hoses. They always "look fine," until one of them fails, which if you're unlucky, can cause extensive engine damage in only a few seconds.

I have seem multiple CA cars sold on BaT where the seller says that "Ramon" says the car doesn't need hoses or belts or water pump, even on cars where there is no documentation that any of those services have ever being done.

Maybe he's right. But for me, having a 30 year old six-figure car with a pretty exotic and high-revving engine means it's much better to spend extra on preventative maintenance and eliminate some possible huge future problems.

I had the hoses/belt/water pump done on my 15k mile 2005 a couple years ago, and after I sold that and bought a 30k mile 2001, I have that scheduled for February at Source 1, who, yes, removes the engine to do the belt service.

Not cheap, but worth every penny to me.
yeah couple of my west coast NSX friends (nor cal) recommended the coolant pipe changes... but Ramon went around squeezing all and said no cracking etc.. and not to change.

I did insist on all fluids and t belt etc, and even though he said it won't need it he will do it. However, he says he never drops the motor to do it, and doesn't know why other people does. (I do not know enough about it).

There is a nor cal shop where all my freinds had the coolant pipes changed ($2500). I was thinking maybe in 6 months have them do it, since Ramon doesn't want to?

As you see, I agree with you on maintenace, as I didn't keep the car in my possession, and took it straight to Ramon's to get the work done

Doing the coolant hoses at the same time as Tbelt - does it save any money ? Maybe t his is a @Honcho question.

yeah couple of my west coast NSX friends (nor cal) recommended the coolant pipe changes... but Ramon went around squeezing all and said no cracking etc.. and not to change.

I did insist on all fluids and t belt etc, and even though he said it won't need it he will do it. However, he says he never drops the motor to do it, and doesn't know why other people does. (I do not know enough about it).

There is a nor cal shop where all my freinds had the coolant pipes changed ($2500). I was thinking maybe in 6 months have them do it, since Ramon doesn't want to?

As you see, I agree with you on maintenace, as I didn't keep the car in my possession, and took it straight to Ramon's to get the work done

Doing the coolant hoses at the same time as Tbelt - does it save any money ? Maybe t his is a @Honcho question.
EDIT: Short Version- most people do it at the same time as the TB/WP since the coolant is already drained and to save money.

It does save money. The access with the engine out is much better so you can do things like the valve adjustment and timing belt tension process faster. It also makes the general engine refresh easier since you can reach everything. It's much easier and faster to get to all the cooling hoses with the engine out. Also, the two oil cooler hoses are doable with the engine in the car, but you will hate life.

However, Ramon has done so many that if he's cool with doing the service engine-in, then I say fine. After all, Acura trained the original NSX techs to do the service engine-in in the early 90's. As techs got more experience with the car, more and more of them switched to engine out for the reasons listed above. You can drop a NSX engine in about 2 hours with the right tools and a lift.

That is awesome. I remember your username. Do you still have the car? I spent 8 4th of july in Houston visiting fam. They were in Galleria/Woodlands/Sugarland. Man that humidity! They moved to Saudi Aaramco to work there.
I still have her. I will give her to my oldest daughter when she is ready.

I miss the tradewinds of Corpus Christi, and sometimes even the hot and humid summers. I have many friends on the coast, one of these days I will visit and remember why I moved out to San Diego (other than work)!

I still have her. I will give her to my oldest daughter when she is ready.

I miss the tradewinds of Corpus Christi, and sometimes even the hot and humid summers. I have many friends on the coast, one of these days I will visit and remember why I moved out to San Diego (other than work)!
Please look me up when you visit!

EDIT: Short Version- most people do it at the same time as the TB/WP since the coolant is already drained and to save money.

It does save money. The access with the engine out is much better so you can do things like the valve adjustment and timing belt tension process faster. It also makes the general engine refresh easier since you can reach everything. It's much easier and faster to get to all the cooling hoses with the engine out. Also, the two oil cooler hoses are doable with the engine in the car, but you will hate life.

However, Ramon has done so many that if he's cool with doing the service engine-in, then I say fine. After all, Acura trained the original NSX techs to do the service engine-in in the early 90's. As techs got more experience with the car, more and more of them switched to engine out for the reasons listed above. You can drop a NSX engine in about 2 hours with the right tools and a lift.
Yeah after all these years after his factory experience he definitely says he prefers to leave the motor in the car - who I am to argue.

He is out this week on vacay, so once he is back I will ask him again if he will do the coolant hose. If not, maybe I can revisit it in 6 months again when I take it back.

Was just reading through all the posts, what a great story! I had the pleasure of attending many of those XPO's back in the day, before life got in the way. NSXPO 2004 at Watkins Glen was outstanding! I went in 2019 to DC/VA but haven't been to another, looking forward to attending another.

Was that originally a NE car? I feel like I knew the previous owner as those stickers looked awfully familiar.

Was just reading through all the posts, what a great story! I had the pleasure of attending many of those XPO's back in the day, before life got in the way. NSXPO 2004 at Watkins Glen was outstanding! I went in 2019 to DC/VA but haven't been to another, looking forward to attending another.

Was that originally a NE car? I feel like I knew the previous owner as those stickers looked awfully familiar.

Hey Michael,

Hope you are well.

Car was bought brand new in So Cal (LA). It lived close to where it was purchased all its life. I also live in the area.

Car was at watkins glen NSXPO with the owner, where you probably saw it :)

Hope to meet you at an XPO!

Last edited:
Well I am patiently waiting on getting the car back so I can do a full detail.

Ex owner went to visit the car at Ramons and shared a few pic of it on lift - which I appreciate!

20240111_115949.jpeg

Attachments

• 20240111_120016.jpeg
    20240111_120016.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 18
I don't know where to start. I am shaking.....

I have been a member here a long time. I joined October 2003. Only took me 20 years to buy the car

Maybe @Lud can find my original screen name. Love affair like most of you started a long time ago. Owned all the Hondas, hatchbacks, wagons, crx, etc etc, s2000 (two of them), never could get the NSX.... Don't want to bore you guys.

When I was in college at Berkeley, for 2 years I was the cashier at Oakland Acura. The Raiders players and some other people would bring their NSX. The service manager knew I was a huge fan. Well if they needed to test drive the car, he would take me passenger, the 180 degree freeway onramp, intake sound behind the ear.. I was hooked...

During my working years, had a boss with a yellow NSX (01 I think). He bought it new, I got a few rides in it. I remember the LA times lease deals when the NSX was finally going out of production, so affordable, yet so out of reach it seemed at the time.

Went through many a sports car since.. have some good ones in the stable..but never scratched the NSX itch... people had Countach posters.. I had NSX poster in wall and garage and bedroom.

Well earlier this year started looking for a 90-93 HT, MT car. No power steering. Couldn't find any that really spoke to me. I was always a loud color car guy, but as I am getting older, wanting a color that blends in, but not black (too hard to keep clean).

Well few weeks ago I see an ad for a 97+ car. People kept telling me targa squeaks and rattles etc. I always wanted the 3.2L 6MT car, but out of budget. So I talk to the owner a few times. Well decided to go kick the tires today before holiday trip for a week away with the fam.

As I get there, car has all the NSXPO stickers front and back. 1 owner car. Gentleman has an NSX jacket, NSX stickers on his garage wall. Only mod being a H badge front and rear.

I was in love. Usually I have go to 2-3 states to buy a car far away, this was close to me!

After looking over the car for an hour, I asked if I can ride passenger to hear the flex or rattles. We drive around, no noise, car is solid, AC is cold, man... o man..

I ask to drive. He reluctantly tells me he hasn't let others drive the car since 99 when he bought it new. I know the feeling.

Everything works as it is supposed to. This was the one. Right owner, all the documents, books, NSXPO stickers, jackets, shirts, signed by engineer... etc etc.. we share stories for a few hours.

Bank is closed. I wasn't ready to buy today. We agree on a price. I am ecstatic. The gentleman is the right steward for the car, and I want to continue that journey and cherish this machine

Left a deposit. Agreed on all terms. Now pay the balance and take delivery, when bank opens! I couldn't contain my excitement and had to make this post.

Truly a dream come true.... lots of hard work.... lots of dream realized....i Just can't believe it..

Sorry for the long post... but had to share it.
AWESOME...welcome to your DREAM!!!

Not much to update:

- Car is still at Ramon's. He said he is backed up and promised pick up next week. So just waiting game for me.

- In the mean time ordered front lip spoiler and a silver tow hook. I wanted to provide local vendors the business, but they were $150 more than me getting it from japan (including shipping). Parts have been shipped to Ramon

- Really debating on putting the A back on the front and back. It has the "H" now. I love it all H (wheels have matching caps), but steering wheel Acura bothers me.

If I do put the badges back on, then will have to see if what to do about wheel center caps

Not much to update:

- Car is still at Ramon's. He said he is backed up and promised pick up next week. So just waiting game for me.

- In the mean time ordered front lip spoiler and a silver tow hook. I wanted to provide local vendors the business, but they were $150 more than me getting it from japan (including shipping). Parts have been shipped to Ramon

- Really debating on putting the A back on the front and back. It has the "H" now. I love it all H (wheels have matching caps), but steering wheel Acura bothers me.

If I do put the badges back on, then will have to see if what to do about wheel center caps
Get a JDM airbag with the H logo on it.

Totally noob question, thus apologies in advance.

How complicated is that?
I have never changed mine. You would just have to find one for sale. I don't think they are very hard to swap. They come up for sale every so often. I had one, but sold it a few years ago. I decided to keep the Acura emblems.

I have never changed mine. You would just have to find one for sale. I don't think they are very hard to swap. They come up for sale every so often. I had one, but sold it a few years ago. I decided to keep the Acura emblems.
Might be easier to find some A on the wheels and call it a day.

In my younger days, had to be "H"

nowadays, I just want uniformity. Hah.

Old man problems

You can swap out the airbag for a JDM "H" one in about 10 minutes (3 bolts), and they come up on Prime classifieds all the time. I've got one but I'm keeping it for now.

But I would hold off for now. The stock OEM wheel is not great - I would go so far to say that changing it was the best mod I've made to my NSX. (It's skinny for anyone with regular sized hands, and it can take a while to get used to the tiny horn buttons off to the side; I never did.) I went with an S2000 wheel, but lots of folks have gone for the MOMO, Zanardi, or a zillion other options. Once you decide what wheel you want (including the OEM if that's the case), then badge it to whichever trim you prefer.

My first NSX was Honda badge swapped, and I do prefer that. So drive it for a year or 2 before going to the effort to go back to "A"s. You may decide you prefer the "H".

Last edited:
(It's skinny for anyone with regular sized hands, and it can take a while to get used to the tiny horn buttons off to the side; I never did.)
I like and prefer to have the horn buttons within thumbs reach.

I wonder if I'm in the minority.

You can swap out the airbag for a JDM "H" one in about 10 minutes (3 bolts), and they come up on Prime classifieds all the time. I've got one but I'm keeping it for now.

But I would hold off for now. The stock OEM wheel is not great - I would go so far to say that changing it was the best mod I've made to my NSX. (It's skinny for anyone with regular sized hands, and it can take a while to get used to the tiny horn buttons off to the side; I never did.) I went with an S2000 wheel, but lots of folks have gone for the MOMO, Zanardi, or a zillion other options. Once you decide what wheel you want (including the OEM if that's the case), then badge it to whichever trim you prefer.

My first NSX was Honda badge swapped, and I do prefer that. So drive it for a year or 2 before going to the effort to go back to "A"s. You may decide you prefer the "H".
I appreciate your thoughts and answers.

Personally, deep in my heart I prefer the H, as that is what the car is. However, having it all H badged but seeing the "acura" steering wheel seems half done. The car is in excellent condition and not a project etc, thus I want it completely back to stock or go full H.

I talked to the previous owner today, and he can't remember if he just added "H stickers" on the caps. Car is at the shop, so I can't visually check it. Photos, zooming in, aren't clear.

I loved my S2000 wheel on both my S2000. Is it a plug and play with CC working?

Bracing

Can someone tell me if the X brace in engine bay that I have is OEM? Some NSX seem to have it. The Zanardi on BaT doesn't have it. Other people seem to be buying aftermarket X bracing. Are there some years that come with the engine x brace? Is it a "T" only thing?

I know in my MR2 world, we all upgrade to the TRD X brace in the engine bay.

I appreciate your thoughts and answers.

Personally, deep in my heart I prefer the H, as that is what the car is. However, having it all H badged but seeing the "acura" steering wheel seems half done. The car is in excellent condition and not a project etc, thus I want it completely back to stock or go full H.

I talked to the previous owner today, and he can't remember if he just added "H stickers" on the caps. Car is at the shop, so I can't visually check it. Photos, zooming in, aren't clear.

I loved my S2000 wheel on both my S2000. Is it a plug and play with CC working?
Not saying don't do the "H" wheel - definitely go for it! Just saying to be sure you like the stock wheel before buying a JDM "H" airbag and then getting a different wheel a few months later. If you look at NSXPO, you won't see too many drivers with the OEM wheel.

The S2000 wheel is not plug and play, but it's easy to do, thanks to Prime member @Hagasan . Kuya sells his adapter with the required short hub. CC is retained and you even get the "cancel" button (No "cancel" button on the NSX - you have to press both buttons simultaneously.) Here is my thread explaining it with a few pics:

With your silver NSX, you'd probably want an AP1 or AP2 S2000 airbag? I used the airbag from a JDM DC5 Integra to get a red "H". If you want the airbag functional, you need the airbag from an AP1 S2000, or transfer the NSX-compatible AP1 charge to an AP2 or DC5 airbag, which is just 4 nuts. If you want an S2000 wheel with Acura badging, the RSX wheel is the same.
Hagasan's adapter originally discussed here:
euroboutique also resells some nifty modified S2000 wheels that mount the same way, and there's a guy from Poland on ebay I think whose wheels also look like quality work.

In my opinion, there is no justification for Honda selling NA2 NSX's with that wheel when they clearly had figured out the airbag/horn switch issues by that time. Sure, some people can get used to the unusual horn buttons, but for something you need in an emergency, put it where everyone expects to find it.

wrt to engine bay bracing, the black steel triangular brace you've shown in Post 6 is the OEM brace for the NSX-T. Coupes have a single bar between the upper shock mounts. Supercharged Targas need a special version with clearance for component relocation. There are some coupe upgrade cross braces that tie to 2 points on the firewall, hinge points for the cover perhaps? As a mechanical engineer who focused on structural analysis, I can tell you that there are a bunch out there that are purely cosmetic and will not provide any stiffening over OEM. The OEM ones are steel. There are some nice aluminum ones; grey market's are breathtakingly beautiful, but $$$.

Last edited:
Update:

pics received from Ramon.

-T belt service almost done, Nothing was needed, all clean, belt as good as new (as he predicted)

-Hope to pick up Friday or early next week and FINALLY have the nsx home

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpeg
    IMG_2005.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2008.jpeg
    IMG_2008.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2003.jpeg
    IMG_2003.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 15
Back