• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Planning on buying an NSX in next few weeks

This is my first post to NXSPrime and I am using my friends Prime account, but I feel like I am going to have to start me own account soon.

I have been researching these cars for years and for a number of reasons its time that I find one of my own.

I am not new to Acura, as I have owned a 2003 TL-S for several years (fully modified). I also have a 1999 Integra GSR (turbo'd) which I have been building up over the last few months. I think they are amazing cars and cannot wait to own my own NSX.

My main first question has to do with my initial purchase.

I see a lot of these cars that land in my price range to be either one of two ways. Type A 1991-1994 with low mileage vs Type B 1998-2000 with higher mileage.

I have researched about most of the options that change in these two models (targa top, power steering, displacement) but overall what is the better buy. My only must haves are that it is a manual transmission.

Example Type A
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156601
1991 BLK/BLK
or
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142352
1992 RED/BLACK

vs

Example Type B
http://nsxprime.com/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=1582336
1999 YELLOW/BLACK

I plan to make this car more of a show/garage queen. I do not plan on taking it to the track and will mostly enjoy it 6-8 months a year, driving it on nice days here and there and occasional road trips.

I just want to make sure I am not missing any big problems or pros and cons with the first Gen vs the 2nd Gens. I am also wondering about long term maintenance. I have seen many of these cars run well into 250k but just wanted some opinions and advice on what to buy.

Thanks in advanced,

Joe

I have read a lot of post but feel free to direct me to previous threads about this topic.

My personal opinion is that garage queen or not, the NA2 cars are preferable just because of the 3.2L engine and 6 speed transmission.

1991s are relatively plentiful and I think a well maintained one would still be a fine car. I would rather have a 1994, but there aren't so many of these.

I am not a fan of the 2002+ look, so those don't appeal to me.

I would not buy a car heavily modified, especially with any kind of body kit. That just doesn't appeal to me.

Maintenance, reliability, etc. are all well documented here. All NSXs are inherently reliable and very durable. Most of the issues, whatever they are, are well known and not serious except the snap ring problem.

My 1997 makes me smile every time I drive it. I have owned it for 4 1/2 years now and put more miles on it than the previous three owners combined. Other than tires, the only significant maintenance has been the timing belt and water pump.

I would aim for 97+ just because of the 6-speed. It makes a huge difference and the car is much more fun to drive. Maintenance on them is pretty much the same. The OEM clutch costs more on the 97+, but you don't replace it often and aftermarkets ones cost about the same.

Last edited:
Hey,

The '97+ are great with the 6sp, but I would check out the '94 specifically if you hate T-tops like I do. After '94 there were only a handful of coupes built (outside of the Zanardis). The t-tops add weight and reduce rigidity of the chassis - part of the reason Honda increase the engine and HP '97+. The '94 incorporates much of the improvements on the '91-'93 models that were carried on to the '97+ (sans 6spd etc), i.e. wheel size increase, reduced camber, passenger airbag and much more. If you do a search on prime, there's a resource that lays out all of the changes over the years.

I don't see a large gap between the '97+ performance changes over the my '94. If I could choose my ideal NSX it would be a '97+ coupe...but I think there are less than 100 of these worldwide from what I understand.

Hey,

The '97+ are great with the 6sp, but I would check out the '94 specifically if you hate T-tops like I do. After '94 there were only a handful of coupes built (outside of the Zanardis). The t-tops add weight and reduce rigidity of the chassis - part of the reason Honda increase the engine and HP '97+. The '94 incorporates much of the improvements on the '91-'93 models that were carried on to the '97+ (sans 6spd etc), i.e. wheel size increase, reduced camber, passenger airbag and much more. If you do a search on prime, there's a resource that lays out all of the changes over the years.

I don't see a large gap between the '97+ performance changes over the my '94. If I could choose my ideal NSX it would be a '97+ coupe...but I think there are less than 100 of these worldwide from what I understand.

I agree a 97+ coupe would be a great car. I didn't see one for sale other than a Zanardi nationally when I was looking. You highlighted why I would rather have a 94 over a 91, though I think the 3.2 + 6 speed is significant.

Hey,

Good post and counterpoint.

When I was shopping I broke it down to:
91-94' = pretty much if you don't like the T-top option
95-96 = lower priced T-tops
97-01 = lower priced NA2s
02+ = higher priced NA2

Deciding T or not is probably the first big consideration as that is a pretty notable difference.

I try but some think Im not a nice guy.

I wish I knew about this article when I went to buy my first NSX

it gives the average joe some great inside info.

so I always post it LOL

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT RESOURCES!!! :biggrin:

I will be reading this and taking it into much consideration.

Although I do love the front end of the NA2, I really love the classic look of the original. I will probably end up with a 91-92. I have never really been a fan of open top vehicles. I also love the weight factor of the first gens.

On the flip side if anyone is looking for a 4 door, I am selling my 2003 Acura TL-S only 80k miles on it. Love it and nicely modified. Here is a link with some info: http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2820094285.html

Please any more information from those that have owned various models or some of the things you went through on your first purchase which your experience could help.

I am probably the first to say well documented maintaince is over rated. I care too much about my car to let anyone but ramon work on it. All the car needs for the most part is oil changes. I keep the oil recepits, but the car really needs nothing else. For a 91 nsx, id look for 2 tb/wp a fluid flush and oil changes. If i sold this car, you would only get oil recipts. If my car ever needs parts, there there but i wouldnt disqualify a car cause it doesnt have a 15,30,45,60,75,90 service.

Last edited:
Back