• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

I went with Adams because I wanted to build it myself. I think I saved a fair amount over buying an LMT gun, and I learned a lot, but if I wanted a complete gun from the factory, LMT would be around the top of the list. A lot of the guys I work with swear by them.

I went with Adams because I wanted to build it myself. I think I saved a fair amount over buying an LMT gun, and I learned a lot, but if I wanted a complete gun from the factory, LMT would be around the top of the list. A lot of the guys I work with swear by them.

Sorry, I left LWRC out of the conversation as well. I'm adding the adams to the list now. I can't find anywhere to get in line on a backorder for their uppers though, LWRC can order from their site and LMT I can get from DSG.

Ok fellow gun enthusiasts, I come with to seek your opinion. Went out this weekend and had another blast shooting some sporting clays and I've gotten to the point where it's time to buy my own gear. So two part question.

1) Can I get a single purpose shotty for both home defense and sporting clays. I understand the function of both of these are diametrically opposed but can I strike a nice balance between the two. My thinking is that I would get a nice semiauto shotty 12 ga with a 18" and 28" barrel. I'm leaning either towards a Mossberg 930 or a Benelli M2. Both are available with 18" and 28" barrels and all manner of chokes so in theory this could work. I understand the weighting, balance and load cycling might be off, but truth be told, I'm not that great at sporting clays for it to really make a difference. Will this even work? Any other guns I should consider (semi's only).

2) If that is not a good idea, which gun would you recommend for a dedicated sporting clay shotty? The Beretta 390/391 is the go-to sporting clay shotgun, which what I typically shoot when I go sport clay shooting and it is no doubt very good. How would the aforementioned Mossberg 930 compare? How about the Benelli Super Sport or Vinci? How is the new Beretta 400? I'd like to stay under $1,500 if I can.

I wish that I was more educated on shotties. The only experience I have with them is seeing M2s and M4s being the dominant shotgun in 3 gun matches.

I've only seen over/unders and semi autos on the clay ranges. Sorry, bud.

Part of the reason for traditional guns on the skeet/trap range is tradition. You could show up with a drum fed Saiga-12 and a red dot sight, and if you have the skill, embarrass everyone with an O/U. And they will hate you. Of course, if you take that same gun and perform poorly, they will still hate you. It would be like having a low rider golf cart, bouncing from hole to hole on three wheels.

I'm firmly on the combat arms side of this argument, though. Had a Weatherby O/U and sold it because I never used it. Still have my Saiga. Which, by the way, I definitely do _not_ recommend to anyone who does not enjoy tinkering with guns. I can keep up easily twice the rate of fire as a kitted out Remington 870, with better accuracy as the felt recoil is significantly less. Took a bit of work to get the gun reliable, though.

Sweet collection! I bet those mags for the P90 are big bucks.

I think that they were like $25 back in the day from Cheaper Than Dirt. Back in the day.

Who makes the grey 1911 45? Beautiful

Not sure if you meant the S&W Doug Koenig 1911DK that shoots .38 Super or 9x23 (shown with Oakley Mag M's):

Or like Ponyboy mentioned a Kimber Desert Warrior (picutured with a pair of custom Oakleys that I created:

Basically the same shot but with a different subject:

An interesting look, the AR in 7.62x39 uses AK mags with AR tops:

Guns1.JPG

I have a Windham Weaponry Ar-15 with some magpul goodies added on and it shoots great I ran 100+ rounds on that last week 90 consecutively as fast as safely/accurately as possible and it did great. And Taurus PT111. I bought my pistol used and first time i shot it, it shot kinda crappy but i did get it for a excellent price and it is a cheaper gun. I just took it out again last week though and put 60+ round through and it never jammed and worked like a champ. So must be from getting it cleaned up and more than likely the ammo

- - - Updated - - -

1363442839800.jpg

Forgot this bad boy. Bow tech Destroyer, 50lb(im not super strong), bought this used also from a guy that was using it for competition. It came with a drop down rest so I threw on a nice Sword sight and a run of the mill stabilizer. I love the way it shoots and I take it out deer hunting but i haven't gotten any yet. Just started last deer season and I was deployed for the most of the season, the beginning which is that best time.

Damn, I got a 400 box of 22, PMC 9mm and a 600 box of federal 556 today all at normal pre-hoarder pricing. I do consider it a decent day :)

The LGS even had window and non-window pmag's for $16 & 15 respectively. Granted they ration it at 1 but it never hurts to have more.

I may be picking up barely used (150 rounds thru it ever) S&W 3913 next week... One of the guys where I work is selling it, just trying to reach a fair price.

Our local main gun store will not even let you take pistol ammo out anymore, you have to use all ammo you buy from them in their range pistol wise. You can still take home the rest..

I made a hard decision quite recently and am going to sell my "cool" gun and use the money to buy a supercharger for my NSX. Mind if I reminisce about it one last time?

DSC_6229.jpg

It's a Colt 45 single action Army pistol. Made in 1875, my dad bought this gun for $50 from a pawn shop when he came home from the Navy after the Korean war. Dad had a lot of guns and I grew up shooting them, but this was my favorite. It uses black powder shells, so it makes a considerable bit of smoke, but it's wonderfully light and the grips are comparatively small so it fit my young hand.

A few years ago, my dad asked me to take his guns home and I did, including the old Colt. When I got it home, I started investigating and discovered the pistol had a fascinating history. It had belonged to an officer in Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders, which makes it special to collectors. A couple years ago I boxed it up and sent it to an authenticator and I also got documentation from the Colt Archives. The authenticator confirmed that it was the real deal and made me a handsome offer, which I refused.

But that made a new problem. We always knew the pistol was worth some money just by virtue of being 135+ years old, but the Rough Riders connection increased that value by quite a lot. Quite simply, it was now worth too much to risk taking to the range and shooting. It had become a toy I couldn't play with, so I put it in our safe deposit box at the bank and forgot about it.

So anyway, my dad died last month. A couple months before that, a cousin that was like the brother I never had and who shared a lot of those days at the gun range with me died. It got me to thinking about how life is short, and how I haven't any use for toys I can't play with. I called the authenticator and he said his offer stands, so next week I'm packing it up and mailing it back to California. The proceeds will pay for a CT supercharger kit, a toy I most definitely will play with. :)

DSC_6238.jpg

Nothing lasts forever, I think it's a good trade.

yikes! Trust me, I am personally looking for any justification that I can to get in on this CTSC group buy too. I'm not necessarily sure this would be one that I would suggest.

But then again, life is short!

yikes! Trust me, I am personally looking for any justification that I can to get in on this CTSC group buy too. I'm not necessarily sure this would be one that I would suggest.

But then again, life is short!

I'm feeling really good about the decision. I don't have anyone to leave it to and I really really want the supercharger. The gun of dad's that has the real sentimental value is his original police pistol and I'll never turn loose of it.
DSC_1218.jpg

When he became a detective and and went to plain clothes work, mom sent it off and had it engraved from one end to the other. It's not as much fun to shoot, but it's a beautiful piece.

I probably hold some sort of record for transporting the most guns the longest distance in an NSX. Dad gave me all that stuff and I drove from Kansas to Florida with the trunk stuffed with rifles, shotguns, pistols, knives and many hundreds of rounds of ammo. Not knowing the state laws of all the states I had to drive through, I drove very carefully coming home. :)

Okay, now that you posted his engraved duty weapon that changes everything. I thought the Colt was the only firearm that you had from him.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the states you transported through were probably safe ones :) In for pictures if you shot any!

In for pictures if you shot any!

I mentioned there was a bunch of ammo. I sat down one weekend and tried to gather 1 of every different kind in the bag, thinking I might frame them up for a display but never got around to it.
PA300004a.jpg

This is pretty cool. It's a .32 auto made in 1901. It seems to be in really good shape, but I haven't tried to shoot it.
DSC_1195.JPG

Assorted derringers, unfortunately all .22 caliber. I'd love to have a big bore derringer. My sister, cousin and I used to shoot these a lot when we were kids.
DSC_1233.JPG

Various long guns, all old, some half-busted.
IMG_6257.jpg

There was a box full of old crap Saturday night specials, mostly Ivers & Johnson revolvers like this.
PB030003.jpg

Boxes of old knives, air pistols, bayonets, handcuffs, and the like.
IMG_6270.jpg

At least 1000 rounds of .38 Special, mostly in boxes old enough for a museum display. I've been shooting them up, but still have a bunch.
39spclboxes.jpg

Last edited:
I made a hard decision quite recently and am going to sell my "cool" gun and use the money to buy a supercharger for my NSX. Mind if I reminisce about it one last time?

It's a Colt 45 single action Army pistol. Made in 1875, my dad bought this gun for $50 from a pawn shop when he came home from the Navy after the Korean war. Dad had a lot of guns and I grew up shooting them, but this was my favorite. It uses black powder shells, so it makes a considerable bit of smoke, but it's wonderfully light and the grips are comparatively small so it fit my young hand.

A few years ago, my dad asked me to take his guns home and I did, including the old Colt. When I got it home, I started investigating and discovered the pistol had a fascinating history. It had belonged to an officer in Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders, which makes it special to collectors. A couple years ago I boxed it up and sent it to an authenticator and I also got documentation from the Colt Archives. The authenticator confirmed that it was the real deal and made me a handsome offer, which I refused.

But that made a new problem. We always knew the pistol was worth some money just by virtue of being 135+ years old, but the Rough Riders connection increased that value by quite a lot. Quite simply, it was now worth too much to risk taking to the range and shooting. It had become a toy I couldn't play with, so I put it in our safe deposit box at the bank and forgot about it.

So anyway, my dad died last month. A couple months before that, a cousin that was like the brother I never had and who shared a lot of those days at the gun range with me died. It got me to thinking about how life is short, and how I haven't any use for toys I can't play with. I called the authenticator and he said his offer stands, so next week I'm packing it up and mailing it back to California. The proceeds will pay for a CT supercharger kit, a toy I most definitely will play with. :)

Sorry to hear about your dad, but I have to admit reading that I couldnt help but see that scenario on Pawn stars...

Bat, the ppq .40 is an awesome pistol! I convinced my buddy to pick one up since no one had it in Georgia. I picked up a cz p-01 instead. He brought his up from Texas and shooting his made me extremely jealous. The ppq is so much more accurate than my cz and the trigger pull so much smoother. The trigger reset is one of the shortest if not the shortest and it just feels good in your hand.

I'm so pissed I signed up for a 3 day North East Shooters event in NH "Summit" and can't find ammo. I'm hoping I can find some outside the Communist state of NY on the way to NH. Don't want to dip into my stored ammo for practice.

Last edited:
I'm so pissed I signed up for a 3 day North East Shooters event in NH "Summit" and can't find ammo. I'm hoping I can find some outside the Communist state of NY on the way to NH. Don't want to dip into my stored ammo for practice.

Good luck... In PA its not easy to come by either...

DSC_6229.jpg

DSC_6238.jpg

Such an awesome story. Thanks for sharing that. I always thought this thread was like one of those car meets where everyone try's to show off their high powered muscle cars with big bore throttle bodies, nitrous, cams and all the go fast mods they can handle and see who has the biggest dick (when actually the person with the highest horsepower probably has the smallest) and then that 1 guy with that clean classic vintage Honda shows up and puts them all to shame.

:frown:I was going try Cabbalas on the way down to the Manheim PA auction auction next thursday.

I was down there a few weeks ago... Shelves were bare except for 12 ga, 20 ga, 30 - 06, 7mm... And to boot they literally had a now serving numner system in the gun section just like at the deli counter at the grocery store!

Back