• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The DIY AEM Tune Help Thread

Seems like every other major car enthusiast forum has a dedicated forum or at least a thread on tuning help. It's about time we started one here. This thread will be specifically on help with various issues users are having with their AEM Engine Management. You need to have wideband O2 sensors installed for this. Also, the "compare" feature on AEM calibration files is priceless during this process. Make little changes to one parameter at a time. Observe the effect, then repeat the process until the desired behavior is achieved.

Of course, all of the typical disclaimers should apply - like these are recommendations only, and use at your own risk. If you don't have any idea of what you're doing, it's best to get help from a professional.

I think that this could be very helpful to a lot of us. I know there are a lot of good professional tuners out there that really know what they are doing, and also know the AEM capabilities. This is not a replacement for those professionals' services. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of other "professional tuners" out there. We'll leave it at that.

I have an AEM Series2 tune for a N/A 3.0L with just exhaust mods. If anyone's interested, PM me and I can email it. This started as a startup basemap from a vendor, and then I did a lot of modifications to it for my sensors/mods/climate. I don't have TCS or even ABS and wheel speed sensors anymore, so sorry - can't help with TCS setup. I did my personal tuning over many weeks on the street doing data logs at various loads/engine speeds and then slowly changing a parameter or two at a time. I'm not a professional, and would also like for someone to look at my tune too for things I may be doing wrong!

Maybe the first few things to post in this thread are basic references... like online manuals, basic tuning theory, etc. I'll try to gather the bookmarks I have and post them.

Dave

All the AEM software can be found here:

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,26751.0.html

All the Series 2 ECU's use AEMTuner
All the Series 1 ECU's use AEMPro
The maps are not compatible with each other.

This is a link to the calibration settings I needed to make my ECU read the intake air temp and engine coolant temp sensors properly. If you don't change these settings and use AEM's calibrations these temps will read considerably higher. I'm on 1002 old school box, I'm not sure if the cal from the newer boxes have the proper values. Thanks Science of speed. I think the same settings are used for an s2000 as well.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/AEM/EMS/NSX%20factory%20AIT%20and%20CLT%20calibration.xls

HTML version for those without excel:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...T%20calibration.xls+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

If anyone wants a Series 1 Box cal let me know.

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone has tried to tackle the AEM TCS functions? I'm installing my AEM soon and I was curious about this.

I know it's been some time since this thread was active but I would like to see it brought back to life. Dyno time and tuning is an expensive proposition, but if some of the little things and safety issues could be addressed, that would be beneficial to a lot of us who go stand alone AEM.

It's so funny... i've been interested in A.I., machine learning, big data, etc... for some time now and yet, we can't seem to tune our own cars w/o significant effort (myself included). With all the sensors available these days theoretically we could build an EMS that tunes itself.

[MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION]

We can build an EMS that tunes itself. There's a few companies doing it right now for larger target audiences (American muscle cars).

But, you really don't need all kinds of sensors to do it. A journal article way back in 1999 (attached below) presented an approach to doing it with one main sensor only - In-cylinder combustion pressure measurement. It wasn't really even a new concept back then.... The control system proposed was to use proportional-integral controls with neural network feed-forward correction. That's one of the reasons why I bought my TFX engine analyzer setup so I could tune my expensive engine correctly. However, I believe one of the reasons this control system never took off in the OEMs is because the pressure transducers aren't as reliable as would be required. My sensor still needs to be replaced but it's a low priority at the moment since I'm not actively doing any tuning.

Heck, in 1996 I was using fuzzy logic with the MATLAB plug-in to do a research project in school on a control system for variable wheel camber. Those were the fun days of solar racing team, formula one team, and so on. This was my awesome professor that taught me about fuzzy logic, neural networks, and AI:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefteri_H._Tsoukalas

View attachment 161790

How's your ITB setup coming? Sorry if I haven't replied to any questions since we were out of the country for the last 3-4 weeks building a retirement home and then I had to go to DC for a week. Still trying to dig through all the emails!

Last edited:
So I spent a fair amount of time reviewing these videos produced by AEM;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGRPe93pGsA&list=PLQ0tVstZhCubcJ29HEG-lNWQvzKieXHvE

Back story is my car would not idle quite right and would die every time I would stop the car with the AC running. I now have this part of the tune perfect. AFR's are where they need to be, it idles within + or - 50 rpm's and the car runs with the AC on. I'm pretty happy right now.

Does anyone still have a base map/calibration file for the series 2 Aem (I have the sos Aem series 2)? I somehow messed up my file or lost the settings and get my car started. Though it saved but I guess wrong. Tried emailing science of speed a couple times but no response. Any help be greatly appreciated

Back