• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best way to Tune a NA1 NA ??

I have an HKS F-CON V-PRO for sale to anyone who wants simple or 'period-correct' tuning.

I have since gone with a Motec M150:

0%20Cover%20Motec%20and%20ECU%20Masters-XL.jpg

I'd recommend Motec or Emtron for the NSX.

Motec and Emtron are both based around torque management strategies and motorsport applications. Unless you're racing the car I dont see the point in a Motec. That said the EMtron SL models are pretty cost comparable to more generally orientated ecus like Link and Haltec. Maxxecu is another brand which has all the high level motorsport functions and provides advanced fuel modelling at the Motec and Emtron level. Again can be pretty overkill for a simple replcaement to the OEM ecu, just about any old thing will do that unless you specifically want onboard lamba and/or DBW throttle control, then your options are more limited to more modern stuff.

That's the big $$ question. I have yet to find someone confident enough to tune my car, and also plug the Haltech ECU in my OBD1.5 unicorn NA2 (I'll certainly need a custom harness and/or spark plug coil adapters). I'll probably concede defeat and go to the Netherlands to have Adnan do it all but that's a huge distance... when I talked to Yamamoto-san (at NSXCE) he told me he could fly in from Japan and tune the car here but I suppose I'd need to find a local roller dyno in addition to his plane ticket and fees, another expensive proposition...

Honestly I thought about Motec too as there are racing shops in France where they use that. But the price hurts.
And goal is to get a NA tune to start with, and make it simple and clean, and keep the cruise control which is absolutely essential for me to keep my driving licence (as some NSXCE members can attest, I seldom look at the speedometer) - which rules out the AEM.
I probably know one or two guys who can do that to you in France.
You have https://fullstockfileservice.com/ and the second is a contact from my mechanic who will take care of my nsx next year for the reprogramming of my nsx.
If you want, you can ask my mechanic for his contact details so that you can contact him.

I've used Haltech and Link and found Haltech to be easier to set up and tune. Just my $0.02

I've been there done that on NA farther than most have here - see my build thread. The best mod for NA is a 6spd with a short final
Hi. Just joined. First post response...

Where would I find a "6spd with a short final"?

A friend just handed me his 91 that has 32,000 miles and has been sitting for 15 years. I need to go through and get it road worthy. I'm definitely interested in doing effective mods that really add to the overall experience of the car. Your post caught my eye. I build R32/R33/R34 Skyline GT-Rs. Installing the R34 Getrag 6-speed to the earlier R32s/R33s is an absolute game changer. By far the best mod that can be done.

I'm going to do an introduction post. I'll update it here.

Last edited:
I'd encourage you to think about a good engine control unit and a quality tuner as being about more than just power. Committing to an ECU platform is an important decision, my advice: don't compromise to save a few bucks.

For example:
  • Drivability - how does the car perform in hot weather, cold weather, altitude? Will your tuner spend time on the relevant compensations?
  • I/O count - are you using all the factory sensors? Are you adding more?
  • Data logging - does the ECU log data for you to review for performance reasons or fault finding? How much data, and for how long?
  • Functionality - Drive-by-wire, torque management, knock control etc. is this implemented, and if so, how well is it implemented? The NSX has some interesting requirements such as fuel pump speed control - how do you plan to manage those?
  • Integration - cruise control, traction control, AC, etc. will be impacted, do you want to keep those?
After going down the standalone ECU route, my advice would be to stick with the factory ECU as long as you reasonably can. Highly skilled engineers put tens of thousands of hours into the calibration. Once you absolutely must go standalone, select a reputable and modern ECU and find an experienced tuner you're happy to build a long term relationship with. I've been very satisfied with my Haltech Elite 2500, but of course there are compromises with any decision.

For mild to moderate builds on 91-94 cars a remapped factory ECU will work better than almost anything else especially if you're just getting into DIY ECU tuning. It already works so you can just make small changes and get a feel for how different parameters affect the engine.

Last edited:
Back