• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

C7 Interior... cheap or not?

Here is what I say.The C6 interior was a good design,ergonomics were good layout was good,etc.All of GM's interiors look good in pictures...But when you get in the car and look for flaws,you will find them.Then, when a blind person starts to touch all the materials,they will wonder how GM got recycled slurpy cups for plastic and how they made real material feel cheap! I had a C6 ZO6 and really liked the car.It had some great strengths,the weaknesses were to do with the bean counters! If they can cut corners they will,a sharp eye will catch it. I like the C7 and will probably get one when the higher performance model comes out. We will see what kind of value equation that proves to be.

From my experience/exposure a few months ago w/ regards to the interior...

- the overall interior instramentation/tech was great; felt like a modern interior befitting a flagship sportscar

- the overall ergonomics were very good; some angles/proportions were a bit much

- the overall materials were good; the flat/smooth touch plastics (door-handle trim, center console/dash trim, storage-bin covers, cowl-pieces, etc) were hard & felt rental-car grade, meaning unacceptably cheap & likely scratch/blemish prone

I believe the C7 is an excellent platform, not perfect (and it easily could've been) but very difficult to ignore for it's design/style, performance/handling, price/value. I've never spec'd a Corvette, so I truly have no idea how much (or little) will be added to the ~$52k MSRP to properly & adequately equip to one's preferences & tastes.

Just my 2-pence from the Detroit NAIAS back in Jan/Feb...

I was hoping for better materials...lots of plastic still in use.

Are there companies that do quality custom interior rebuilds? Seems like you could do well with some aftermarket aluminum and higher quality interior parts.

Are there companies that do quality custom interior rebuilds? Seems like you could do well with some aftermarket aluminum and higher quality interior parts.

Caravaggio does AMAZING work on C5 and C6 interiors. Heard it costs ~$18k to do a full interior swap.

Caravaggio does AMAZING work on C5 and C6 interiors. Heard it costs ~$18k to do a full interior swap.
Looks like the same crappy interior with everything leather wrapped to me.

vetteinterior.jpg

I don't like the C7 interior at all. I would much prefer a distinctive instrument pod like the NSX's instead of the old Q45 blending dash in the C7. The bedside commode passenger handle is just hideous, a direct copy from the new Viper.
Steve

Better.... Not sure what's up with all the red in it. Maybe some people like that?
I like black in the interior. No deviations.

The E46M3 has the black/imola red interior and it looks absolutely beautiful. This corvette interior is similar but it just looks a bit odd and kinda cheap. Probably because of the cheap plastic.

I think the interior looks great and serves the purpose well. The only thing they can do better is the center console slab of cheap looking plastic. That really looks bad on a more "premium" vehicle. should've just covered it up with more carbon fiber or suede or something. Cheap plastic especially where you'll see and touch is a big no no.

Looks like the radio knobs double as 12V sockets, and I wish the instrument panel was activated in the picture. I like it but wonder if it will get tiresome after time.

I have to see it close up in person to decide. The pics make it still look cheap. However I do think the c6 with full leather looks pretty nice.

Sorry, but the C7 vette interior fit and finish and that instrument cluster is vastly superior to the C6 and the NSX.

Just look at the "out-of-the-box" OEM features for the HUD and instrument panel.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e4bMLHNatYM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New NSX better do EVERYTHING better for that price tag to not be laudable.

Last edited:
I love the 7 speed manual transmission. Awesome!!!

Haven't sat in one yet, but photos of the C7 interior look way better than the C6 to me. There's still room for improvement of the A/C vents, but they look so much better than the C6. When I was looking at buying a used C6, I noticed the seats often appeared to have a lot more miles than they should have. Maybe it was just big drivers. The interior was the main thing about the C6 that I didn't like. Really the only thing I didn't like. It just didn't seem like it went with the rest of the car.

American car companies are completely different from the companies they were a few years ago. I sat in a Chevy Camaro, and was surprised by how nice the interior was.

That said, reserve all judgment until you see it in person. Things often look nice and shiny in vids/pics, but are cheap and tacky up close.

I showed that video to my buddy that sold me the NSX back in 2007 and he was impressed with the overall improvements of the C7 and super jealous of the instrument panel since it was better and more modern than his R8...... *cough* stretched TT.

He just bought a brand new R8 v-10 convertible with all the options (spent $200k~) after he sold his equity stake in his start up to start up another company.

Back