• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mode4 Ver2 Test Fit

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Great job Chris, i like it alot!!! Looks spot on.
Getting mine soon, can't wait....
With the new mold, this can be made to order...Contact MikeC/Mode4 if anyone wants one...

Wow - bumper looks great.

The wheels look great too! (and they are one-of-a-kind!)

Before you guys get all upset for me hijacking this thread, i did chat with Chrisk about it and he was cool with it. :)

I also took the plunge back in August to change our my Marga Hills front end with a more modern look. When i started researching Prime, the Mode4 bumper kept popping up as a very nice update to our cars. I connected with Mike (mode4) and like all comments posted on Prime before, he was super helpful and very customer service focused to ensure i had what i needed to complete the changeover, he even called me during the course of production to keep me up to date on what was happening etc. Overall a very pleasant experience dealing with a small shop vendor who prides himself on customer service and providing a great product!

Firstly, i was impressed by how the items came shipped to me. Everything was individually packed and definitely protected. When i started to unwrap everything, i immediately noticed the quality of the front bumper assembly, very solid and for a custom fibreglass mold, there were very few defects in the workmanship.

The test fit on the bumper itself proved to be about 95% for me. I chatted with ChrisK and Mike about the fitment and again, both were super helpful with some trials and learnings with their own fitment and Mike wanted additional details on where i was having some challenges to perhaps modify/adjust future production to get an even better product out there. i was impressed that a small boutique shop that manufactured this item in small quantities could get it that close with somewhat minimum work required for a perfect fitment!

The work that was required by my bodyshop for a near perfect fitment was:
-Shave 3mm (where the hood and headlights would meet the new bumper) in between the space between the passenger side headlight to the drivers side headlight.
-Shave 5mm off directly in front of the drivers side headlight.
-Smooth out the "line" on both sides of the bumper just above the turn signals that flows into the fenders but seems inconsistent as theres nothing on my fender that accepts this line. I gather its part of the production process.
-Redrill some of the holes for the chin spoiler.
-I had tight fit with my front turn signals and we had to remove some of the spongy foam around the lights to get them to slide in, but its a very snug fit
-My tow hook had to be removed and no longer exists.

Heres the picture from today. The test color that they did on the bumper was a perfect match to the rest of my 20 year old car, but it seems to have darkened a bit more, so its going back in for a repaint to get it even closer to the color of the rest of the car. (my front drivers fender was repainted at the same time due to rock chips etc and that one is a perfect match to the rest of the car). I'll have to have some of the chin spoiler holes re-drilled again as you can plainly see the spoilers a bit wavy. I opted for the painted chin spoiler as it made the car look closer to the ground.

Overall, i love the update and i think the build quality of the product is very good. Thanks Mike for (IMHO) the best looking bumper out there for the NA1's. The cars still in doing some other work but will post additional pix late next week when all other work is done.

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 279
That looks great. For the front lip, I was able to get good fitment by enlarging the predrilled holes on the bumper so I could wiggle the lip around into better position before I tightened it up. After a lot of adjusting, loosening and retightening I was able to smooth out the ripples in the lip as you can see in my pictures. You'll be able to get it all nice and smooth with some patience and adjusting.

Before you guys get all upset for me hijacking this thread, i did chat with Chrisk about it and he was cool with it. :)

I also took the plunge back in August to change our my Marga Hills front end with a more modern look. When i started researching Prime, the Mode4 bumper kept popping up as a very nice update to our cars. I connected with Mike (mode4) and like all comments posted on Prime before, he was super helpful and very customer service focused to ensure i had what i needed to complete the changeover, he even called me during the course of production to keep me up to date on what was happening etc. Overall a very pleasant experience dealing with a small shop vendor who prides himself on customer service and providing a great product!

Firstly, i was impressed by how the items came shipped to me. Everything was individually packed and definitely protected. When i started to unwrap everything, i immediately noticed the quality of the front bumper assembly, very solid and for a custom fibreglass mold, there were very few defects in the workmanship.

The test fit on the bumper itself proved to be about 95% for me. I chatted with ChrisK and Mike about the fitment and again, both were super helpful with some trials and learnings with their own fitment and Mike wanted additional details on where i was having some challenges to perhaps modify/adjust future production to get an even better product out there. i was impressed that a small boutique shop that manufactured this item in small quantities could get it that close with somewhat minimum work required for a perfect fitment!

The work that was required by my bodyshop for a near perfect fitment was:
-Shave 3mm (where the hood and headlights would meet the new bumper) in between the space between the passenger side headlight to the drivers side headlight.
-Shave 5mm off directly in front of the drivers side headlight.
-Smooth out the "line" on both sides of the bumper just above the turn signals that flows into the fenders but seems inconsistent as theres nothing on my fender that accepts this line. I gather its part of the production process.
-Redrill some of the holes for the chin spoiler.
-I had tight fit with my front turn signals and we had to remove some of the spongy foam around the lights to get them to slide in, but its a very snug fit
-My tow hook had to be removed and no longer exists.

Heres the picture from today. The test color that they did on the bumper was a perfect match to the rest of my 20 year old car, but it seems to have darkened a bit more, so its going back in for a repaint to get it even closer to the color of the rest of the car. (my front drivers fender was repainted at the same time due to rock chips etc and that one is a perfect match to the rest of the car). I'll have to have some of the chin spoiler holes re-drilled again as you can plainly see the spoilers a bit wavy. I opted for the painted chin spoiler as it made the car look closer to the ground.

Overall, i love the update and i think the build quality of the product is very good. Thanks Mike for (IMHO) the best looking bumper out there for the NA1's. The cars still in doing some other work but will post additional pix late next week when all other work is done.

You may need to color sand or respray the whole front to blend that paint...

Update for the OEM tow hook. Since the bottom half is shaped like the 02+ bumper, you need to use a towhook from the 02-05 NSX. From the pics, you can see that Honda simply reversed the hook orientation and welded it to the same mounting plate. It mounts to the exact same holes and location as the 91-01 tow hook, only this new 02-05 tow hook orientation allows the proper alignment and spacing needed for the reshaped lower bumper half. The actual tow hook cover is the OEM cover for the 02-05 NSX.

large.jpg

large.jpg

chris, your car looks phenomenal.......that combination of pop-ups and newer lowers is the best of both cars..............someday I hope to do it to my BB 93.....

Love it. Would somebody please PM me info on ordering one of these for my green NSX????

Thank You!

-DREW-

I've decided to go a different route & selling my spot, PM me your info & i will let Mike C know that you are buying my spot, thanks.

Henzley

Love it. Would somebody please PM me info on ordering one of these for my green NSX????

Thank You!

-DREW-

What is the current price on these Mode4 bumpers?

And does this bumper make any difference in negoatiating speed bumps and such?
It seems a lot more 'square' than the originel OEM 91-01 bumper. It lack the 'hollow grind' look than the OEM lower bumper has on the flanks.
Does this bumper increase the length of the nose?

Good eye on the squareness of the bottom of the bumper. Does this bumper accept '91-'01 chin spoiler?? I have a CF chin I would like to keep on the car

-DREW-

Last edited:
Good eye on the squareness of the bottom of the bumper. Does this bumper accept '91-'01 chin spoiler?? I have a CF chin I would like to keep on the car

-DREW-

The lower half of this bumper is meant to be a replica to the updated 02-05 NSX redesigned front bumper, only it uses the 91-01 upper half to accept the 91-01 turn signals and pop up lights. Therefore, the bottom lip spoiler used will have to be the 02-05 NSX lower lip as I have, or any aftermarket lip that will fit the 02-05 NSX OEM bumper. A 91-01 lower front lip will not fit.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the current price on these Mode4 bumpers?

And does this bumper make any difference in negoatiating speed bumps and such?
It seems a lot more 'square' than the originel OEM 91-01 bumper. It lack the 'hollow grind' look than the OEM lower bumper has on the flanks.
Does this bumper increase the length of the nose?

It is molded after the 02-05 lower half so it should be a near replica in dimensions as the 02-05 OEM bumper. There may be very slight differences because it had to mate to a 91-01 upper half bumper, but if there is any differences it is very minor. Clearance is the same as an 02-05 NSX. It doesn't stick out any further.

As for price and availability, contract Mike at [email protected]

Last edited:
OK. I'm not going to go with this bumper. I saw a thread on a green '02 conversion and don't like the look, not for me. I also don't like what's available in '02 lips. Thank You for the offer though.

-DREW-

I have to admit that this combination looks way better than the 02+ front end. The driving lights break up the vast expanse of bumper above the side vents and it seems less squared off on the sides. The lower chin also helps balance the placement of those vents some too. And I think the color helps too. The only thing that I might have really blow it away would be if there were ducts on the sides in front of the front wheels to help break up the expanse of the sides, or if the side intakes had been cut back a bit on the side walls in my opinion.

Nonetheless, really nice.

Back