• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What kind of shift knob do you like to use?

Do you like a ball or a taller teardrop style? Or something else?

levers.jpg

Last edited:
Ball. Don't like the stalk at all because my hands falls ON TOP on the knob. I have had both, much prefer the ball. I have a Type R now, but my favorite was the OEM 2004-2005 knob. It was the best.

That is the coolest thing ever! I'm going to get my mom to knit me one since the wife doesn't knit. Just hoping she doesn't use pink or purple yarn. :)

Years ago my wife knitted me a bootie for my stock shift knob and I've used it ever since.

Just looked on Ebay. I will probably order from there.

I use a ball, and didn't know I'd like balls so much. :biggrin:

I've found that the NSX transmission likes a weighted knob. I've used a Ti Spoon knob on it and it shifted terribly.

Last edited:
I've found that the NSX transmission likes a weighted knob. I've used a Ti Spoon knob on it and it shifted terribly.

This ^^

I prefer the weighted stalk style myself. Mine came from SOS.

I have an Integra DC5r shift knob in mine at the moment. Throws people off when they see 6 gears on the knob in a 91.

The heaviest ball is the 04-05 knob. And is internally damped.

I actually use 2 different shift knobs depending on how I plan to drive that day, both from the same company.

- If I'm driving more casually, I tend to rest my hand on top of the shifter when changing gear so I use a spherical shifter:

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/a6-leopard-shiftknobs.php

- If I'm planning on a more spirited drive, I will grab the shifter vertically so I prefer a taller shifter:

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftknobs/twm-piston-shiftknobs.php

Both knobs are very heavy (over 1lbs each) which is heavier than the 04-05 knob for sure and makes for very smooth shifting. They're a bit on the pricey side, but their quality is top notch - highly recommended.

For the Piston shift knob, I also went so far as to custom powdercoat it (piano black with the 3 rings paint-matched to my Spa Yellow). I don't have a pic of it at the moment but IMO it looks great, provides more grip, and regulates the temp of the shift knob much better.

Last edited:
I have the old SOS Teardrop. Its taller than the ball-type knobs, but has a really nice machined section that clips right into the boot for a nice, clean look. Feels ok too :)

I have the same knob, great weight to it.

I have the Skunk Racing knob on my S2K and love it. But my NSX has the OEM knob as, IMO, it just looks like it belongs there. But i installed the SOS short shifter kit. It makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Back