• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's your strategy for securing the new NSX ?

I've been down the road on new offering vehicles before and it almost always turns to crap.
My "secure" signed up positions on the Ford GT, Audi R8 evaporated when the cars came in and were pulling thousands more than retail. "Sorry we lost the list; Who are you again ?"
My 5 year deposit on the next Turbo Esprit was recently refunded when the dealer went bust (they probably aren't making the car anyhow).
I went to pick up a pre-ordered Elise then found out I didn't fit.

I've been down to the Acura dealer and they say they are not taking deposits; just names. "We'll call you". Right.

Some have posted that in England deposits ARE being taken and have already filled up allotments.

What are you doing to secure a spot ?

Last edited:
I'm going to write a long letter to my dealer about why I love my old nsx and would treat the new one with love and care.....I would help out at the dealership cleaning toilets...ect.....

You can always wait. Once the initial rush subsides and supply catches up with demand, they will be available for list price or under.

I never buy the first year no matter how good it is. Put a deposit for the 2nd or 3rd year and I'm sure your chances will be higher. 91 NSX, 2001 S2000 are raw-er but they come with problems no one really remembers. I'm pretty sure the first year will always have some sort of defect that requires you trips to the dealer waiting for the mech to figure out what to do.

I didn't give it a second thought here in the UK.

I paid money, £5000, and they took it gladly and sent me a receipt. Difference is you get the car much sooner than we do.

Teething problems don't bother me, it's part of the charm of having the newest model. Besides, perhaps they'll be ironed out by early deliveries in the US.

Roll on january, can't wait to find out the official figures, there just aren't enough active threads to satisfy my need to keep talking about the car.

I never buy the first year no matter how good it is. Put a deposit for the 2nd or 3rd year and I'm sure your chances will be higher. 91 NSX, 2001 S2000 are raw-er but they come with problems no one really remembers. I'm pretty sure the first year will always have some sort of defect that requires you trips to the dealer waiting for the mech to figure out what to do.

I bought a 7 year/160000 km warranty for my early 2000 S2000 thinking that it was bound to pay for itself. New model, I planned on driving it hard etc. And the grand total of problems covered by the warranty was one, a noisy rear wheel bearing. What a lemon huh!:cool:

I've been down the road on new offering vehicles before and it almost always turns to crap.
My "secure" signed up positions on the Ford GT, Audi R8 evaporated when the cars came in and were pulling thousands more than retail. "Sorry we lost the list; Who are you again ?"

I too had an "agreement" (handshake, which is how we do business around here) with my small town Ford dealership IF he got a GT. When the dealership changed ownership I went to talk with the new (non-local) owner and he dismissed my claim.
That dealership closed within a year and it took me 9 more years to realize my dream.

I bought a 7 year/160000 km warranty for my early 2000 S2000 thinking that it was bound to pay for itself. New model, I planned on driving it hard etc. And the grand total of problems covered by the warranty was one, a noisy rear wheel bearing. What a lemon huh!:cool:

I had a 2002 S2000 and had a block fail between the water jacket and the oil galleries causing mayonnaise build up in the header tank. The Honda garage diagnosed it as a warped head, and skimmed both the head and the block which didn't solve the problem. They then replaced the cylinder head which didn't solve the problem and finally replaced the engine for me.

What was impressive was that at one stage before we first spotted the issue the car was running strong with only 500ml of oil in it and yet we didn't end up with bearing failure.

If anything this gave me more confidence in Honda's engine making ability despite me being one of the only people I've heard of who has had a Honda engine failure.

Oh I agree Honda make great cars with little to no problem. Just the chance of getting a problem from first year of production is higher than other years. New operator forgetting or assemble the car wrong.

We have seen many Hondas come through our shop that have little more than a few dribbles come out when the oil drain plug is removed. Ever since the maintenance minder was introduced, many people seem to think that the oil life percentage and oil level are the same thing. What I have to check the oil with the dipstick? Before the maintenance minder, people were used to coming in at 6 or 8 thousand km for their oil changes. Even if they didn't check their oil in between there was normally plenty of oil remaining. With the computers telling them when to get a change, we see lots of vehicles going 14 to 17000 km between changes. When the owner can't be bothered to pull the dipstick during that time, there are many instances when very little oil comes out, as in basically none! We just fill them back up and send them on their way. And make a note for when they want to trade their jewel and get huge money for it of course, because they looked after it so well.

Handshake agreements, signing up on a list, etc. is a waste of time. Dealers will only care about cash deposits and signed agreements that you can waive in their faces. Even then, they'll give your car to someone else and either keep or refund your deposit.

People in the UK are talking about £125k but that's a rumour based on one main dealer.

I think that's way too far removed from the GT-R to have any real substance.

Handshake agreements, signing up on a list, etc. is a waste of time. Dealers will only care about cash deposits and signed agreements that you can waive in their faces. Even then, they'll give your car to someone else and either keep or refund your deposit.

Myself and two other NSX owners I know have put down deposits and have signed agreements.
I think you mean "wave" not "waive"?

I'd enjoy the chance to read one of these agreements. Somethign tells me they aren't worth much more than the paper they are printed on.

The agreements are standard Acura dealership agreements they use for every car.
Nothing special about the paperwork.

I think the point you're making is whether the dealership would honour the deal or not.
A potential buyer can only put down a deposit and sign the papers.
The rest is up to the dealership management.

The thread is about what strategy you would use to buy the new NSX.
If you are critical about ours what would you do?

Last edited:
I thought of another strategy ....as in the movie say anything...I will park my current nsx next to the dealer and blast pensive 80's tunes until they cave

Back