• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to open a stuck trunk??..

My buddy just picked up a salvage Nsx that's been hit from the rear and the trunk is stuck. Does anyone knows how to open it?

Trunk key hole is twisted.

When you press the trunk button, it makes noise but won't open....

So any other ways to open the trunk???? Is there a cable the runs to the trunk?

Greatly appreciate any ideas or advice.

If he can't figure this out, there are probably going to be many, many more problems that he won't be able to figure out, either. Maybe he shouldn't have bought a salvage NSX...

If he can't figure this out, there are probably going to be many, many more problems that he won't be able to figure out, either. Maybe he shouldn't have bought a salvage NSX...
So cold but true. From another salvage nsx owner, it is the least of your worries. But honestly, I have no idea on how to help you open it. Even if you remove the rear bumper which is child's play, you still have tail lights in your way of the latch bolts. My advice, put aside 300$ for a new center tail light garnish, pry the original out because the studs are set in molded plastic, and there you have access to the latch. Lick your wounds later and buy another center tail garnish.

My buddy just picked up a salvage Nsx that's been hit from the rear and the trunk is stuck. Does anyone knows how to open it?

Trunk key hole is twisted.

When you press the trunk button, it makes noise but won't open....

So any other ways to open the trunk???? Is there a cable the runs to the trunk?

Greatly appreciate any ideas or advice.

If your buddy owns an NSX why doesn't he join the Prime site and ask his own questions?
If he is doing a salvage rebuild he'll have lots of questions and a search of the Prime database is invaluable.
And to echo Ken's comments if a stuck trunk is an insurmountable problem then your friend is in serious trouble.

I purchased a 2004 fire damage engine fire, the fire dept didn't know the engine was in the middle of the car so they cut 2 cuts to open the trunk they did it to stop the fire.

but seeing how they cut will give you an idea where to cut. any pics what the VIN? any info on the car I am sure we already have pics of it.

2750[1].jpg

Try to firmly press down on the center of the trunk (under the wing) while someone presses the release button repeatedly, then see if it will lift up.

Otherwise a locksmith may possibly have some trick tools to get the cylinder out with minimal damage.

If its stuck and the keyhole is twisted, then most likely the latch is bent up or the sheet metal has been pushed in etc. First, show it to a professional locksmith. Do a google search for someone in your area that specializes in car locks. Let them have a look and see if they can free it up for you.

In case that doesn't help, then you need to do as the others here have suggested - try to remove the center section of the tail light and see whats going on behind it with the latch and lock.

I always love the ZOOMED in pics as to not give anything else away... almost like its clean title and this wreck wasn't reported or something.... SNIFF detector....

whats the VIN?

I don't know the vin.. Buts it's a 1991 with rear damages. My buddy picked it up from a salvage yard in Fontana for only $8500. It still runs with 191k miles

I always love the ZOOMED in pics as to not give anything else away... almost like its clean title and this wreck wasn't reported or something.... SNIFF detector....
whats the VIN?

Shawn
You may be on to something.
No VIN.
The supposed owner not joining Prime and making his own posts.

NSXBum is this your own car that got rear ended?
Having trouble getting the repairs going but not wanting anyone to know it's your car?

Shawn
You may be on to something.
No VIN.
The supposed owner not joining Prime and making his own posts.

NSXBum is this your own car that got rear ended?
Having trouble getting the repairs going but not wanting anyone to know it's your car?

My buddy don't wanna join prime for several reasons. Too many trolls, bullies and people with non nice things to say. I love prime, very helpful. I try to stay under the radar and be passive.

mine was hit last November, had it repaired and collected dimished value of $2900 for a repair bill of $17k. I was so mad tho. My carfax is stain, I'm gonna have a hard time selling it, if I ever even consider selling. Currently searching for a place to (red) chrome wrap my nsx and have it ready by nsxpo.

My buddy don't wanna join prime for several reasons. Too many trolls, bullies and people with non nice things to say.

He must not have spent any time in any other forum about anything on the internet. One thing prime has going for itself is the lack of trolls, bullies and people with non nice things to say. Just look at all the new owner threads, instead of jealous people hating on new NSX owners, it's nothing but people congratulating them and genuinely happy for them.

My buddy don't wanna join prime for several reasons. Too many trolls, bullies and people with non nice things to say. I love prime, very helpful. I try to stay under the radar and be passive.

mine was hit last November, had it repaired and collected dimished value of $2900 for a repair bill of $17k. I was so mad tho. My carfax is stain, I'm gonna have a hard time selling it, if I ever even consider selling. Currently searching for a place to (red) chrome wrap my nsx and have it ready by nsxpo.

Get your friend to join Prime and give it a try.
He can always leave if he doesn't like it.
There is so much infromation here on repairs and fixes he could use.

Sorry to hear about your NSX incident.
It's like having someone in your family hurt :frown:

Also, if you love the site so much why not make a contribution by way of donation. It helps open doors here with long term members by showing your support. Just an idea.

Try to firmly press down on the center of the trunk (under the wing) while someone presses the release button repeatedly, then see if it will lift up.

Otherwise a locksmith may possibly have some trick tools to get the cylinder out with minimal damage.

thanks dirty bag. We followed your advice. Applied pressure on the trunk, then pushed the button and it popped open, only to discover a sub woofer ample and a broken tail light.

The bad new is the trunk floor needs to be replace, along with lots of other items.

thanks dirty bag. We followed your advice. Applied pressure on the trunk, then pushed the button and it popped open, only to discover a sub woofer ample and a broken tail light.

The bad new is the trunk floor needs to be replace, along with lots of other items.
There is an Oem trunk liner in good condition on eBay right now. These are discontinued. I'd jump on it.

Bring it to auto body repair. I am pretty sure they will know how. From the picture, the whole tail section is twisted, bend , gone.

It looks like it would have some rail damage based on the look of the bumper. It appears pushed in a bit far. It doesn't take much to crumple those ends. And that's an awfully expensive fix "IF DONE RIGHT". I'm assuming your friend paid little for the car so it might be worth it to him to get it repaired properly. Doing so could increase it's value. And he would have a great car to drive for years to come. Though it's hard to tell with so little photo evidence of the extent of the damage or the overall condition of the car.

To the OP have your friend take it to a good body shop and have it professionally repaired or part it out. The parts are worth a lot more than the car as it sits IMO. And there is a lot of demand for those parts in this community.

I'm surprised the locksmith didn't try that. It's a trick they sometimes tell people to try over the phone before they go on site. Usually happens after grocery shopping when the trunk is stuffed full and keeping pressure on the lock.

Bump from the grave but this method saved me today. The car came out of storage today and the battery was dead. After replacing the battery the car started up on first try!

I thought the trunk mechanism had failed and then I came across your post!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Back