• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying a used NSX

I am looking at buying an old NSX from colleague. 1996 manual with around 85k miles. What to look for and ask for. Not much idea on NSX. Any guidance will be of great help. Never bought used cars before so no idea on what to look.
Thanks

The FAQ or wiki are great places to start. Read, read, read, to get your feet wet, then feel free to ask questions.

This is may help too.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...NSX-shoppers?p=1852402&viewfull=1#post1852402

A couple hours of reading through the links in the post I just shared will probably get you 75% of the way towards what you need to know. Then feel free to ask questions, there are helpful owners here willing to share advice they learned after their search and eventual purchase. Then feel free to ask questions, there are helpful owners here willing to share advice of what they learned after their search and eventual purchase.

Hopefully somewhere in that link I shared is another link to the Hagerty insurance website's car value evaluator. That's probably the best guy to real sale prices. Most cars for sale here are of the middle two grades. Best of luck towards buying one of the most enjoyable affordable exotic cars ever.

Yinzer's link is a great one. But to cut to the chase given your specifics on the car, first thing I'd want to know is whether he's had the 7 yr/90k major service done (timing belt, plugs, water pump, etc). Based on the age alone, he should have already done it twice and be looking at a third. Remember, it's the 'lesser of' age or mileage. And the other costly item is the clutch and if he hasn't done that, it will probably need it soon. And if the air cond isn't working, that can also be a big ticket item if it's leaking from the evaporator. However, don't let me scare you away. 85k on these cars is just 'nicely broken in' .. and there are lots of examples of 150k+ .. I have close to 200k on mine and if the car has been well cared for and well maintained, it could be a good buy. I'm just saying that 85k is at that point where some of the bigger ticket expenses typically come in so make sure that's accounted for in your bargaining.

If you've never bought a used car before, you'll probably be upset at the condition of the 85k NSX. Many parts have been discontinued and the remaining are expensive as hell to replace.

Here's a short list of things that I focus on (other than obvious engine/trans health, bodywork, accidents): Center console trim, window switch trim, side garnishes, knee bolster, radio, speakers, cracked defroster, bolster wear on seats, windshield, targa seals and front/rear bumper fitment.

<attachment></attachment>

I have been watching NSX prices and they are all over the place. I thought the attached would be helpful.

I have found that parts are available, although some parts are nearing the end of production. Also, if you are not a "Hands On" kind of car guy you could be in for some expense. Ian is absolutely correct. I'm probably $15,000 into mine and I may need a clutch soon. I ordered the part and have it in my garage just in case ($1525 for the clutch and bearing). According to Tim there were only 3 left in the country.

I use Larry B for my work and I had the Timing Belt and hoses done along with an ABS pump when I got the car. You have to stay on top of these or you will have some real problems. Stick to Prime and you will be OK. Here are some people to talk to if you need parts and work:

Larry Bastanza - Mechanic Extraordinaire
Brian K - He can fix your SRS module, your AC Control Unit and other stuff
Tim Poliniak at Acura of Peoria - 866-347-8355 - He is great for parts

I am 1.5 years into ownership and have learned a great deal. I can do just enough to get myself in trouble (Brakes, Oil, Some Body Work, and other stuff. These are truly great cars unlike anything else in my opinion. Make sure you account for the necessary maintenance in your price if possible. You will probably need about $4-$5,000 for the major service including hoses, etc.

Good Luck,

Ken

[h=1]19 BaT Auctions matching "acura nsx"[/h]​

[h=3]39k-Mile 1997 Acura NSX 6-Speed[/h]Sold on 11/16/16 for $60,000

[h=3]1995 Acura NSX-T[/h]Sold on 11/1/16 for $47,007

[h=3]Supercharged 1992 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 10/21/16 for $46,250

[h=3]24k-Mile 1992 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 10/10/16 for $69,002

[h=3]19k-Mile 2003 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 9/22/16 for $77,500

[h=3]1996 Acura NSX-T[/h]Sold on 8/12/16 for $42,500

[h=3]Supercharged 1996 Acura NSX-T[/h]Sold on 7/21/16 for $52,000

[h=3]16K-Mile 1991 Acura NSX[/h]Reserve not met on 6/27/16 at $55,000

[h=3]1996 Acura NSX-T[/h]Sold on 5/19/16 for $45,000

[h=3]30k-Mile 1991 Acura NSX Automatic[/h]Sold on 5/4/16 for $45,250

[h=3]25,750 Mile 2004 Acura NSX-T[/h]Reserve not met on 4/28/16 at $82,000

[h=3]63K-Mile 1991 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 4/25/16 for $37,500

[h=3]56K-Mile 1991 Acura NSX Automatic[/h]Sold on 4/13/16 for $35,250

[h=3]1991 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 3/30/16 for $41,750

[h=3]55K-Mile 1994 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 3/22/16 for $50,000

[h=3]1995 Acura NSX-T[/h]Sold on 3/1/16 for $41,500

[h=3]15K-Mile 1994 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 2/11/16 for $80,000

[h=3]33K-Mile 1994 Acura NSX[/h]Sold on 11/18/15 for $65,500

[h=3]84k-Mile 1991 Acura NSX 5-Speed[/h]Sold on 10/15/14 for $25,000

<footer class="site-footer" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(25, 25, 25); font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><nav class="footer-nav-social" style="box-sizing: border-box; float: right;">
</nav><nav class="footer-nav" style="box-sizing: border-box;">
</nav>

All contents © 2016 The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer - Privacy Policy - Terms - Members - Models

</footer>

I just bought a 91 three weeks ago. If you are in CA you should read the threads on how hard it is to pass smog and if you have a CT exhaust I have been told it is even harder. Read up on it and make your decision to buy. I just found out about these problems two days ago. Had I known my offer would have been lower.

I just bought a 91 three weeks ago. If you are in CA you should read the threads on how hard it is to pass smog and if you have a CT exhaust I have been told it is even harder. Read up on it and make your decision to buy. I just found out about these problems two days ago. Had I known my offer would have been lower.

Yes I live in CA and I did buy the car. I have liked this car for a long time and so decided to buy. The car was well maintained and the big ticket items have been serviced in 2015. The only thing missing are the original wheels.
I need to do some good detailing work to bring the paint to shine in some places.

Timing belt was replaced in 2015, AC was also serviced and working well, not sure what was serviced though. Clutch was also serviced, so everything looked good and I did end up buying it.

Ive been getting alot of feedback on the smog thing. Glad yours passed no problem, mine did as well. Seems like smog is an issue but the cars are still rolling. My car is a gas to drive and I sold a 911 a few years ago because it was a bore to drive. Enjoy!

Back