• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX - Historic Pictures & Videos

I wanted to form a place to share some historic pictures & videos I've accumulated over the years. Please feel free to chime in with content you have on file as well!

I'll start with the full master cut of the original promotional video for the NSX in the USA. It includes an interview with Ayrton Senna, a lot of info on the car, some early commercials, and more. I posted this in the general forum as well but it's a good jumping-off point for this thread. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa2B8S9h2u8

Last edited:
In 1990, Car and Driver compared the Acura NSX vs. Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet vs. Lotus Esprit Turbo SE vs. Ferrari 348 ts vs. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-11.23.51-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-11.24.03-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-11.24.18-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-11.24.33-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-11.24.43-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-11.24.53-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-11.25.03-AM.png

Chris Harris (of Evo Magazine, Chris Harris on Cars, and now Top Gear fame) tested the Honda NSX against the Skyline GT-R in 2002 for Autocar, and ended up giving the nod to the Honda to his own surprise.

He said about the NSX: “It’s a sensational drivetrain: one that draws and stands comparison with the very best efforts from Italy. The NSX’s low-speed manners seem quite ordinary; it’s anything but when you open the throttles wide, though. Then it’s all induction noise – a gorgeous stream from just behind the passenger’s head, and one that builds with the power delivery until an 8000rpm cut-off. You extend it just for the thrill. The Skyline still has the odd trick up it sleeve, but it’s feeling old in this company. The NSX remains an exemplary piece of precision engineering, honed into a fine driving experience – one whose qualities have outlasted a generation of less well-conceived rivals.”

Messages-Image3734853995.png

Harry Metcalfe's review of the original NSX, a great description of the car as usual from him. This video also demonstrates the interior engine sound very well!

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qfCh5zZvlpU?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" style="max-width: 100%; color: rgb(60, 58, 61); font-family: proxima, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14.6667px;"></iframe>

Senna at the French GP in his Formula Red NSX. Senna owned numerous NSX, having been instrumental in the development process, specifically in his feedback on the aluminum monocoque structure which resulted in a 50% stiffening of the entire car by Honda engineers.

IMG_7419.jpeg

McLaren’s very own Honda NSX, purchased on March 18th, 1991 in by McLaren International in Woking, England, during development of the iconic McLaren F1. This car was doubtless torn down and put back together by the McLaren team, as Gordon Murray was a huge fan of the NSX’s supple yet composed suspension and high handling capabilities, which he used as an inspiration for the F1’s suspension & handling. Murray was said to be seen driving this car around Woking at the time, alternating, of course, with a McLaren F1 prototype. Today, this example lives in Hong Kong with over 150,000 miles on the clock as of a few years ago, a testament to the design of the car that inspired the McLaren F1.

I took these photos from an earlier posting on this site by the current (or then-current) owner of this car.

Messages-Image1577311477.png

Messages-Image2396031833.png

Messages-Image3319526736.png

Following up on my last post about McLaren’s NSX, here is a photo submission from a reader showing Gordon Murray with that very car, NSX registration “H678 KPE” outside the old McLaren factory in Woking. Those with a keen eye will notice the open door of a McLaren F1 on the right side of the photo. As mentioned previously, the NSX was used as inspiration for and benchmarking of the McLaren F1’s suspension system, as well as its gear change mechanism (which was essentially copied from NSX), and low-cowl driving position. Another interesting story as it relates to Honda’s influence on the F1: Murray visited Honda's Tochigi Research Institute twice to try to convince them to produce a 4.5-liter V10 or V12 for the McLaren F1 project, but was unsuccessful in persuading the conservative company to move ahead with it. So, instead he was forced to “settle” for the BMW unit we know today!

1189387E-52B9-4753-A5ED-90A1AD2C87D7.jpg

Early NSX goes racing.

This car finished a third in the 1993 James Hardie 12 Hour at Bathurst, but is perhaps remembered more for Wayne Gardner’s fearful practice crash and its marathon rebuild by the TAFE Smash Repair Team.

Love the use of the standard forged alloy wheels.

Mark0118NSXimage01.jpg

Period ad showing an early USA NSX in Grand Prix White.

Grand Prix White was available on all model years excluding '91 & '95, but proved to be fairly rare throughout the run despite white being an iconic Honda racing color

Acura-ad.jpg

Nice I still have the mags all curled up in a milk-crate in my attic!

Back