• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

battery recommendation?

AG

Contributing Member
I drive or start the car around once every week, if I have time.

Are there any light weight batteries that have plenty of juice and would fit without any modifications?

Also take a look at Optima batteries. If you don't have a high power aftermarket stereo, the "Red Top" will be fine, otherwise go with the "Yellow Top". You also want the "R" type battery with the terminals reversed for optimum fit but the standard version works fine if you just install the battery facing backwards. The terminals are close enough to the centerline of the battery so that it' s almost the same thing as having the "R" battery.

Any dealer that carries Interstate batteries (also an excellent choice) can get you an Optima. Whatever you do, don't get a damn Diehard. :D

Hugh said:
Also take a look at Optima batteries. If you don't have a high power aftermarket stereo, the "Red Top" will be fine, otherwise go with the "Yellow Top". You also want the "R" type battery with the terminals reversed for optimum fit but the standard version works fine if you just install the battery facing backwards. The terminals are close enough to the centerline of the battery so that it' s almost the same thing as having the "R" battery.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will stop by local Superautobacs this week, they carry both Optima red and yellow top.

Like NSXWIND, I suggest you consider the Odyssey battery rather than the Optima. The Odyssey was designed by former engineers from the maker of Optima, who left the company because they thought they could make a better product. You can find out more on the website for the Odyssey's manufacturer by clicking here, including where there are dealers near you.

Regarding fitting without modifications, any battery that is smaller than stock will require some modifications - something (e.g. block of wood) to fill the room in the battery box, and/or a bracket (such as Dali's) to fasten the battery down.

I installed an Odyssey battery (then known as a Black Panther battery) in my allegedly all-stock ;) NSX six and a half years ago and it works fine.

nsxtasy and NSXwind,

Thanks for the recommendation, my NSX is in badly need of battery, so I picked up the Optima yellow top today locally, it is quite heavy and expensive, definitely felt 40+pounds.

My NSX definitely likes it, felt the difference immediately, when I turned the key, it fires up quickers then I have ever experienced, I also noticed it sounded different, never sounded like this in two years of ownership, very smooth.

This is probably untrue, Optima's website have this listed as one of the feature for yellow top:

-Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months --at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.

The old battery I had was Interstate batteries

Last edited:
AG said:
I picked up the Optima yellow top today locally
I'm sure that will work fine for you.

Incidentally,

AG said:
definitely felt 40+pounds.
The Sears Diehard (Gold North) battery that Hugh decries weighs 39 pounds. The biggest Odyssey, the 925, weighs 25 pounds (I think that's the one I have), and there are smaller ones that weigh less than that.

Odyssey also makes a 1400 if you reall need amperage. I have it in the M3 and can say Its been a year since that car has been driven. About a month ago, we needed to fire up the car and see if the new head gasket would hold up to the 500+hp we were pushing at 13psi. They went to go get jumpers, but I just got in the car and turned the key. Hesitated a minute, but fired up within half a second.

You can't go wrong with Odyssey batteries, and Stinger sells them with a there name. Supposedly Monster is suppose to do the same. Any Dry-Cell battery will do you fine. The Yellow top and the Red top are both great batteries. The amount S&H would have cost, you made a wise decision.

Charlie.

Back