• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speedometer Acting-up. Help..

Since the OP has a 1991, this is not the correct version;).

He needs the one with the pigtail wiring on the sensor. I have the P/N in my previous post. You may be able to stretch the harness, but not recommended.

HTH,
LarryB

He needs the one with the pigtail wiring on the sensor. I have the P/N in my previous post. You may be able to stretch the harness, but not recommended.

HTH,
LarryB

Ordered it. :) Do you think it is worth wrapping the wire and sender in heat-reflecting tape?

Just a quick update. My parents are visiting for the weekend and my dad helped me replace the sensor. A nice father son project. :) The verdict- problem totally solved. :D

Anyone know where I could try to get one of these speed sensors?

Here is a good source for the correct speed sensor for a 1991. List price $169, your price $127 (circa June, 2010) for an oem Acura (Honda) speed sensor. Worth every penny. Larry B (I'm not worthy) helped me with this several years ago - the repair has been rock solid since with zero issues.

Last edited:

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, do you know if the connector is the same on a 1991 and 1993? If so I'm just going to splice a length of wire between the harness and connector and save $100 :rolleyes:. Mine just went out at a track session today. Turning the TCS off made the speedo OK and all other problems dissappear.
TIA-

Last edited:
Not 100% sure about the connector. I want to say it is the same, but cannot verify it at the moment.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. I just ordered a VSS for a 1993 (mine is a 1991) off of eBay for $5.00 shipped (coming from China and takes a couple of weeks - guess I'll have to run with TC off for a while). I thought I'd give it a try since all I've got to lose is a fiver. Wish me luck :rolleyes:!

Now the car is OK. My problem must be heat related because I can't get it to fail at all. The engine compartment really heats up at the track and the problems carried through the entire track day. Now, with everyday driving, it's fine. With track days now over in St. Louis, I'll have to wait until next year to see if replacing the VSS did any good or not (Yeah - I know - Just go to a track in a warm climate - probably won't happen :frown:).

UPDATE:

The VSS for a 1993 and later (no pigtail) will fit a 1991 (with pigtail) just fine. The wiring harness will reach without altering it and the plug is a perfect match. The VSS I bought new on eBay for $4.19, shipped to my front door. It looked like a quality part but I haven't had a chance to drive test it yet, that will be tomorrow (I'll let you know). What a savings over the dealer's price of around $200.

UPDATE:

The VSS for a 1993 and later (no pigtail) will fit a 1991 (with pigtail) just fine. The wiring harness will reach without altering it and the plug is a perfect match. The VSS I bought new on eBay for $4.19, shipped to my front door. It looked like a quality part but I haven't had a chance to drive test it yet, that will be tomorrow (I'll let you know). What a savings over the dealer's price of around $200.

Part worked well, rock solid speedo. :biggrin:

Old thread revival.

I ordered mine off eBay. Less then $10 shipped to the border. Hopefully it works.

Old thread revival...

I have a 91 with the same issue. What is the part# you used to find it on eBay? Vendor? TIA!

Just put 'Nsx speed sensor' in the eBay search. I got one of the $8 china specials a year ago and it's still going strong! Five minute fix.

I too had the vss fail.whilst the above china specials work they dont have the pigtail.on e-bay i ordered a speed sensor for a 92 accord,its got the pigtail and I have just installed and road tested it.It too works perfectly.cost about $11 free shipping in the mainland,$6 priority post to guam.In my annalness I wanted to keep the pigtail.hope this helps.The vendor was XPRESS AUTO PARTS in Chicago but I jut typed in 92 accord in the e-bay search.

Last edited:
I replaced my speed sensor. I had the same experence. Easy job!

Looks like my speed sensor is going bad...figured this out last weekend on a long road trip about a 100 miles in, it seems to be fine in town, so only when the engine bay gets heat soaked. Anyway I figured I would just replace it, however when I looked in the engine compartment it looked like you had to have small hands to get to it that way, I don't. I need to look at the manual, but any tips? How long did this take you. My mechanic quoted a time of 1.5 hours, not sure if that's reasonable or not but seems high.

Back