• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Purely theoretical....

...because I won't be buying it for another year, but would you FI an E46 M3 or an NA2 Acura NSX? Both cars essentially have the same power/speed so I'd like one to be faster for a little more fun.

Pros NSX: looks like a racecar, so it looks like it should go faster
Cons NSX: more reliable so FI may compromise it

Pros M3: less reliable, so might as well FI it
Cons M3: already feels pretty fast, just do bolt-ons and enjoy

Basically, I'm debating whether to FI my M3 currently, but I'm kind of leaning against it for the time being and stick with software, etc. People are telling me to have another DD before I decide to FI a vehicle.

What do you all think? :confused:

...because I won't be buying it for another year, but would you FI an E46 M3 or an NA2 Acura NSX? Both cars essentially have the same power/speed so I'd like one to be faster for a little more fun.

Pros NSX: looks like a racecar, so it looks like it should go faster
Cons NSX: more reliable so FI may compromise it

Pros M3: less reliable, so might as well FI it
Cons M3: already feels pretty fast, just do bolt-ons and enjoy

Basically, I'm debating whether to FI my M3 currently, but I'm kind of leaning against it for the time being and stick with software, etc. People are telling me to have another DD before I decide to FI a vehicle.

What do you all think? :confused:

"NSX: FI may compromise it"... a well-tuned FI system holds up well on the NSX. I don't know about the M3.

I was seriously considering the M3 and NSX as well. You have to decide what has more value for you.
On one side, you have the M3.

Pros: You get comfort, fit more than 2 people, more of a daily driver, 'less harsh'/more softer suspension. Performs reasonably well on the track, and plenty fast for most drivers. I think 'leave it stock' is plenty of fun...

Cons: See them all over the place, a bit on the heavy side, you know the new M3 is coming out so it's going to feel like you *know* that there could be more....

Don't know about FI, though the Dinan mods have good reputation, no?

On the NSX side:
Pros: Sportier/more Exotic looking, more rare. Less heavy....arguably better handling. FI makes it real fun. Good track car - > great track car w/ serious track mods.
Cons: More limited as a daily driver IMHO. Can't fit the family in it (probably don't matter.. but if it did.).relatively more expensive to get into - to get a comparable year and mileage NSX to M3, you're going to be ditching nearly twice as much as the M3.... Unless you FI or do serious mods, a lot less go-fast crack for the $$.

SAME: I think parts/maintenance & mods are going to be relatively the same, no? Depending on what year/price point you get, I think they will depreciate at relatively the same rate... (not necessarily the same $$..)

Just my thoughts. I think it comes down to - do you want to have a exotic, pure, lighter sports car with limited bells and whistlers - or do you want to have a well-balanced, nice, plenty fast less unique sports-luxury car..

I went with the NSX. The deciding factors for me was realizing that a few things were slightly more important to me than the others.
EG: Uniqueness, exotic-looking, weight and plenty fast outdid the less unique, much more luxurious and heavier car.
The perfect combo for me would be the NSX + a new Lexus ISGS/LS etc..

I would consider FI a NA1 NSX. Some thoughts on why. Easier to find, more parts and less expensive. If you want big power, you might as well rebuild the engine anyway so get a high milage NA1 engine. Also the extra displacement isn't really worth it when you go FI anyway; it isn't going to give you any real bang for the buck.

For example take a less expensive high milage NA1 NSX. If you get one with a ton of miles on it (120K+) you could probably get one for about $25K or less (I got mine for $20K). Then for $20K you could completely rebuild the engine to handle high power and put in a FX 500. So for about $45K you would have a 500 whp NSX that could kill most anything on the street. Although you'd probably need to upgrade the tires, brakes and clutch too, but with all the money you saved, you should have lots to spare. :biggrin:

Just my $.02

Thanks for your takes. I'm actually planning on getting an NSX in addition to the M3. Otherwise I could sell of the M3 right now and get one. Hence, I'm waiting for a bit too purchase.

FI'ing an older NSX is an interesting option I didn't consider. Sounds like the NSX does well with this kind of modification. The exotic look of the NSX has me sold. I've seen some with exterior mods which make it look just breath-taking, something appreciated more in person.

So my question was really if I have BOTH an M3 and an NSX, which one I should FI? I think the answers on this forum point to the NSX. I posted a similar question on an M3 forum but got no responses, haha.

BTW, I'm pretty happy that this thread has gone this far without mention of an RX-7. I probably just jinxed it.

I would FI the NSX, but then again, that's all I know. I haven't had first hand experience in force inducing a Beemer.

My thought is this. The NSX is nearly a perfect car stock. All it is lacking is just a little oomph. If you can put 400-500 whp into it, you've got a car that still looks great, handles like a champ, and now can keep up with L and F cars.

It's funny you brough up the RX-7. When I bought my '91 NSX, my two best friends bought an '95 RX-7 and '04 WRX respectively. We all paid about the same price and at the time had pretty comparable cars. Well since that time, the RX-7 has had, not one, but two engine rebuilds and my NSX got a 430 whp injection. Now, the RX-7 is on blocks and the WRX looks dated and can't touch me. Meanwhile my NSX still turns heads and puts the other two cars to shame. I suppose I just got lucky, but my NSX has been good to me. :smile:

PS I was actually in the market for an M3 at the time, when my WRX friend said I should look at the NSX.

don't get rid of the M3 if you don't have to. havin an extra vehicle is very convenient. you can leave one at a shop for a couple weeks to have whatever done to it and you don't have to worry about drivin some pontiac rental car.

oh yeah. and FI on the NSX would give you less problems

Back