• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will you ever sell your NSX?

The F&F fad does not work well on the nsx...

Never ! I have 4 nsxs two for investment and 2 to drive 91 silver 14000 miles / 1997 black automatic only 4 made 19000 miles / 1997 montecarlo blue with tan interior only 10 made 49000 miles / 1993 red 3300 miles semi modified coil overs exhaust super charge tune for e85 360 hp in Colorado it my driver might have room for 1 more before the wife cuts me off

Never ! I have 4 nsxs two for investment and 2 to drive 91 silver 14000 miles / 1997 black automatic only 4 made 19000 miles / 1997 montecarlo blue with tan interior only 10 made 49000 miles / 1993 red 3300 miles semi modified coil overs exhaust super charge tune for e85 360 hp in Colorado it my driver might have room for 1 more before the wife cuts me off
Please don't tell me your wife's name is Lorena Bobbit!!!!

So what do you guys think about when you consider selling or not selling your NSX? I'm curious what your thought process is like.

I've had my NSX for 13 years. That's pretty junior level compared to some of you, I know. I've toyed with the idea of selling it but never realistically considered it. Even when I got a couple of "crazy" offers here and there over time. I even go in and out being interested in the car. Sometimes it sits in the garage for weeks/months but there are those days that are magical and it's just a part of my life. There are so many reasons why to keep it and so many reasons to sell it.

* Expand your horizons, try something different
* Who needs a bunch of cars, don't be a hoarder
* The price appreciation is crazy right now (which can be said for any point in the last few years)
* It doesn't cost much to maintain
* It's still fun and puts a smile on my face when I drive it
* but other cars are so much faster, etc
* have someone else enjoy it
* you can't take it with you when you die
* ... I can't probably think of 10 more pros and cons...

p.s. this is the first new thread I've started in years (that wasn't in the classified lol)
p.s. 2. let's bring sexy (nsxprime) back
If the price is right and there is something else I want then I would sell all day long. But since I have not found a car under 100K cash that I think is sexier or cooler and easier to maintain than the NSX, I'm not selling. Although it was hard to hold off when prices were through the roof last year. I could have made 100% gross profit.

Almost 3 yrs and counting since I first posted this thread and publicly asked myself this question. We even bought an M2 Competition (my wife's toy). As good as that car is, I still haven't found a proper replacement for the NSX at or near it's replacement value. Sigh...

Our NSXs aren't getting any younger!

I hear you Regan. I've labeled mine a Dinosaur a while back but I was lucky to find an unusual but convenient solution. My wife, a car person who has owned (and tracked) two S2000's in her past, "bought" my NSX and set me free from the dilemma. I am now (in my 70's) excitied trying to figure out what to get for my last performance (and this time daily driver) car.

Last edited:
Almost 3 yrs and counting since I first posted this thread and publicly asked myself this question. We even bought an M2 Competition (my wife's toy). As good as that car is, I still haven't found a proper replacement for the NSX at or near it's replacement value. Sigh...

Our NSXs aren't getting any younger!
The more of the newer cars I drive, the more I feel like the NSX is "special". There really isn't anything else like it out there, which is why I think your dilemma is so hard (and why automotive journalists are coming back to it in fawning droves). It's not about speed and max performance for me anymore- it's about the driving dynamics and feel. And the Gen1 NSX delivers on that in spades. That means I'm getting old...

The NSX drives very nice but I am thinking it might be my Honda fan boy inside me that is making me to keep this car since 09. I hope this is not clouding my judgement of what a good driving car should drives like .... if you know what I mean. I definitely want a 997.2 or 991 or 992 GT3 sometime in the future.

With all the hard work, time, money and love spent on this car to get it just where I want it.......why would I sell it? There is nothing out there that provides "that look", performance, ease of maintenance and value. I'll get buried in it before I sell.

I was in the "never" camp too but that thing:
may change that idea if it comes into the price territory of the sale value of my NA2. But I suppose it will be at least twice that given the ludicrous powertrain so I suppose I'll keep the NA2 for life.

I've driven a few cars that some might consider a competitor:
Evora
Exige
GT4
GT3 (997.1)
12C
M2C
M4
E46 M3

Many others to add but wouldn't consider them a competitor. The 997 GT3 comes the closest. I might have bought one by now but it don't like having many cars especially ones with so much overlap like having an NA1 & 997 GT3. I'd only keep one and I chose the NSX. I think I would have been happy either way.

My next car will probably be a 12C but that may stay at my other home/office. It's just so different. It's like a spaceship in comparison. I'm also considering an early NC1 but that's only so my wife could drive it, if she wants to drive it at all. I need to ask her. It feels less fragile than a 12C but she could drive that too I suppose. I need to check if she can see over the dash. No way in hell does she want to be even inside the NSX after all I've done to it 🤣

@Honcho please talk me out of a R35
Regan, why an R35? Seriously? if you really want to be talked out of an R35, talk to my son John. He was the product planner for the car at Nissan. He owns a modified one and tracks it frequently...and curses the hell out of it. I owned one of the first R35 in the country (Aug 08), tracked it, cursed it and would not go anywhere near it now.....btw, John owns an NA1 and swears he will never part with it.

Regan, why an R35? Seriously? if you really want to be talked out of an R35, talk to my son John. He was the product planner for the car at Nissan. He owns a modified one and tracks it frequently...and curses the hell out of it. I owned one of the first R35 in the country (Aug 08), tracked it, cursed it and would not go anywhere near it now.....btw, John owns an NA1 and swears he will never part with it.
I had completely forgotten you had one! I thank you for setting me straight. haha

I remember seeing yours. I am thinking of a 2017 Orange one too. I loved the color and thinks it still have the analog feel. Sorry for going off topic, but why does your son dislike it so much after tracking and modifying it?

I remember seeing yours. I am thinking of a 2017 Orange one too. I loved the color and thinks it still have the analog feel. Sorry for going off topic, but why does your son dislike it so much after tracking and modifying it?
Should have said "sometimes curses..." it is really a love-hate relationship with the R35. You marvel at the way it grabs and moves and delivers power but you loathe the RATTLES, the heavy feel and now even after 15 years of existence, a definite uneasy performance of the transmission despite sofrware and hardware revisions. Mine gave up on the track and the whole rear end replaced because of a defective clutch solenoid. I understand My son's had its own share of transmission woes and had some hardware replaced. It is an easy beast to marvel at but sometimes very frustrating. analog feel? I dont think so. Get back in your NA1 or an Elise or an S2000 or even an aged Miata to quickly realize what analog really is. Just my 2c.

Sort of going back on topic. I can't seem to sell my NSX because at any given weekend I have the option to jump in the NSX (when it's actually running) or the M2 Competition. The M2, as great as it is.. feels like a heavy muscle car by comparison. The difference is stark and very noticeable immediately. I might be doomed to keep my NSX forever because cars under 3000lbs is almost vaporware these days. Mine weights ~1200kg/2650lbs

Lol..my 2 options If the S did not pan out was the GT4 RS and the c8 z06....the Eray was still in development but that is now an option. Artura is also out there...The type S is really an enjoyable cruiser, eats up highway miles and is the most rigid chassis I have ever owned..amazing stiffness....I know I know, keep your thoughts private...o_O

to sell is a tough decision as to own one has always been a life long dream and symbol of a relatively successful career to achieve the dream of owning an nc1 and 1993 gpw with 40k on clock.. the 17 nc1 I have owned since 18 and the 93 since 2006.. having two female adult children who aren't married yet still in college and law school selling may be dictated by my age or potential future son in-laws and their desire to want them.. but as we think of relocating to warmer climate the house we look at for now will have to accommodate the fleet.. hopefully those that are contemplating selling for whatever reasons thank long and hard and hopefully the decision for them becomes the correct one

My next car will probably be a 12C .... also considering an early NC1 .... It feels less fragile than a 12C

A 12C isn't as reliable as an NA1/NA2 NSX -- nothing is -- so things will occasionally break, and they'll generally be very expensive to fix. But 12Cs aren't objectively fragile unless they've been neglected or modified. By now, any well-maintained and regularly driven car will have had all the early issues sorted.

To the question you posed three years ago: The NSX is BY FAR the best car I've ever owned, and modern automotive regulations ensure that no one will ever be allowed to make another car that's as simple and engaging, or even as easy to see out of. So no, I'm never selling my NSX.

Last edited:
@Honcho please talk me out of a R35
You'll be bored after a year. I had my car fully tuned and modded (injectors, down pipes, HKS Ti Exhaust, Ecutek (Ben Linney) and it would run 10.5 to 10.7 seconds. After a while, you just stop driving fast and it becomes a 10 second Maxima. Launching it was cool, the mechanical clunks and rattles were cool, the "Godzilla" factor was cool, but it all kinda faded away for me and I found myself longing for another Gen1 NSX. I test drove a NC1, but it felt too much like the GT-R and not enough like the NSX, if that makes sense.

I think you should keep your NA1 and put it into storage. Get the R35 or the NC1 or the 12C and when you quickly get sick of it, sell it and pull the dust cover off of the NSX. :) Have fun with it- do a JDM color change, or make a NSX-R. You'll be so much happier.

Ditto all that's said about the R35. The cool factor is the fact its so huge and fast, but I'm not a robotics fan and after all the easy mods to achieve 800hp was had, it was boring. My wife loved it but only because its rare around here and she drove it on the odd girls night where she would get all the guys gawking at her lol.

My 04 will stay with me as long as I am able to enjoy it.

Back