• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil cooler

Hello,

I put a Oil cooler, because on track(not 1/4) the oil temp is very high.
SOS adapter
10AN line
Small Oil cooler
4x 10AN 90°
1/8NPT Oil temp sensor
Looks good, great location for the cooler in the passenger 1/4 panel intake.

What oil temps did you record while tracking your car? -how did you moniter/record these temps?

Thanks,

Did you try using the larger oem oil filter? I'm interested in your temp reading also.

Henry.

Hello,

I put a Oil cooler, because on track(not 1/4) the oil temp is very high.
SOS adapter
10AN line
Small Oil cooler
4x 10AN 90°
1/8NPT Oil temp sensor

I've got the same adaptor. I haven't got round to making the cooler yet though.

Which way does the oil flow through the cooler? From top to bottom, or upwards?

Also have you noticed any change in oil temps?

Not sure yet whether to do what you have done, or put a water-oil cooler in the engine bay, or mount a cooler up front, as I'm taking out the aircon condensers.

I've got the same adaptor. I haven't got round to making the cooler yet though.

Which way does the oil flow through the cooler? From top to bottom, or upwards?

Also have you noticed any change in oil temps?

Not sure yet whether to do what you have done, or put a water-oil cooler in the engine bay, or mount a cooler up front, as I'm taking out the aircon condensers.

Up front will have the best air flow, but make sure you use AN-12 lines. I have oil coolers in pace of the AC condensors. I retained the fan assembly on the left side, and the right one utilizes the stock shroud.

Regards,

Danny

Attachments

• 7098Triple_Coolers1-med[1].jpg
    7098Triple_Coolers1-med[1].jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 502
Very nice, lowellhigh79, a clean install. You are right about the -12 sizeing. I suffered two trashed engines in my 914-6 years ago before realizing how restrictive oil lines can be; actually ended up with -16 from the oil tank to the engine. The rear quarter looks like a good choice to locate the cooler for a simple set-up, and would work even better if some shrouding was made up around it so all the air was forced to go thru it rather than around.

Up front will have the best air flow, but make sure you use AN-12 lines. I have oil coolers in pace of the AC condensors. I retained the fan assembly on the left side, and the right one utilizes the stock shroud.

Regards,

Danny

Danny,

Are you using the oem oil pump for all this?

Henry.

Danny,

Are you using the oem oil pump for all this?

Henry.

So far, yes. Next upgrade is even more intense (overkill actually). The current sandwich adapter will send oil (driven by the stock pump) to a THIRD cooler in the same place as menfou's (except bigger since I have the Downforce side vent which has a larger opening). The orignal two in the front will be fed by a dedicated 3 gpm electric oil pump in a seperate loop. This way, I have oil cooling all the time with the stock pump and single cooler, and increased cooling capacity with the flip of a switch when I need it (think Willow Springs in the summer). This also prolongs the life of the electric pump. Note: as far a I have researched, I have not come across any electric pump (tilton, mocal, reverso) that would recommend using their own pump in the temp ranges people have been using for dedicated full-time oil scavenging. Of the countless overkill "systems" I have dreamt up for this car, this is the most important one. I would love to go dry sump, but haven't come up with any willing vendors. All I need now is to drop the pan and have two AN-12 fiittings welded on. Menfou, sorry for the hijack.

Regards,

Danny

:eek:

Danny, how hot is your oil running? With all the hp, your oil must be damn hot?! What is your taget hot oil temp, 100C?

I'm plannin on adding a second oil cooler also.

For those who track you car, you should install an oil temp gauge and monitor the temp closely.

Henry.

:eek:

Danny, how hot is your oil running? With all the hp, your oil must be damn hot?! What is your taget hot oil temp, 100C?

I'm plannin on adding a second oil cooler also.

For those who track you car, you should install an oil temp gauge and monitor the temp closely.

Henry.

Got up to 275 at USCC where ambient was 110F. This was on only one cooler though.

Regards,

Danny

275F is almost like 135C, which is my oil temp after a few hot laps without an oil cooler. That's pretty hot I'll say.

I think Dino oil breaks down at 260F. If it SYN, Than it dose not from what I have heard The higher temps with Syn is more harmful to your motor than your SYN, oil. From what I undersatnd.

Keep us posted ;)

You know.... I'm at the point where I'm thinking of mounting a long and skinny oil cooler on top of the rear window garnish, think it'll work?

Henry.

A few years ago I talked with an enginer from Castrol Austria. He told me I am safe up to 165 C with the RS10W60 I use in my turbo ITR race car. :)

My track temps are about 130-145 C with oil cooler on 30 C hot days on tracks like BRNO (CZ Republic).

A few years ago I talked with an enginer from Castrol Austria. He told me I am safe up to 165 C with the RS10W60 I use in my turbo ITR race car. :)

My track temps are about 130-145 C with oil cooler on 30 C hot days on tracks like BRNO (CZ Republic).

The 145C is a bit on the high end if you have an oil cooler no? What was your water temps.

I used to "think" I have overheating when looking at the water gauge. I peaked at 128C with ambient temp at 35C using 5/40W Motul and an oil cooler on the passenger side vent, running a CTSC, and with a passenger weighing about 114 kilos. Water temp peaked at 108C.

Danny, that's beautiful :smile:

Hello,

I have a important question for SOS

Where is the IN and OUT on your SOS adaptor ?

The oil pump push the oil on the left or the right ?

I know this is an old thread but my god is it that easy of an install ?

what are you guys doing for the oil temp and oil pressure sensor gauges that use a bung ?

Back