• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil cooler

I know this is an old thread but my god is it that easy of an install ?

what are you guys doing for the oil temp and oil pressure sensor gauges that use a bung ?

Most people end up using an oil filter sandwich adapter, this used to be a concern, because nsx oil filters were full length, and might not fit with a sandwich adapter installed, but now all nsx oil filters are approx 1" shorter, so the sandwich adapter fits perfectly.

The part sos sells has two openings for fittings, and two smaller ones intended for sensors (oil temp, oil pressure, etc.) - I believe it is slightly smaller in diameter than the oil filter, but it still makes a good seal. I ordered my sandwich adapter from YJ auctions, it is slightly wider, has a bigger gasket, and has four fittings locations, which I am using for gauges with thread adapters. I do not remember the brand name, but it was being advertised as a 'better fit' for the nsx, compared to greddy, etc.

If you're just after temp sensor installation, some people drill and tap the pan, some people use a replacement oil drain plug with an integrated sensor, others use the ARC replacement oil pan which comes with a second threaded hole, for use with a sensor. If you need pressurized oil, for an oil cooler, clearly you're going to use some sort of sandwich adapter on the oil filter.

As for an oil cooler setup, I have seen some simple ones, sandwich adapter to transmission oil cooler rigged up in the back, and some complex ones, that run the oil through the car's radiator piping channel, to the spare tire well, where there is a remote oil filter, with a front-mounted cooler, then back to the engine. It's not a complicated installation in either case, just collect the right parts, and put them on the car.

Last edited:
Most people end up using an oil filter sandwich adapter, this used to be a concern, because nsx oil filters were full length, and might not fit with a sandwich adapter installed, but now all nsx oil filters are approx 1" shorter, so the sandwich adapter fits perfectly.

The part sos sells has two openings for fittings, and two smaller ones intended for sensors (oil temp, oil pressure, etc.) - I believe it is slightly smaller in diameter than the oil filter, but it still makes a good seal. I ordered my sandwich adapter from YJ auctions, it is slightly wider, has a bigger gasket, and has four fittings locations, which I am using for gauges with thread adapters. I do not remember the brand name, but it was being advertised as a 'better fit' for the nsx, compared to greddy, etc.

If you're just after temp sensor installation, some people drill and tap the pan, some people use a replacement oil drain plug with an integrated sensor, others use the ARC replacement oil pan which comes with a second threaded hole, for use with a sensor. If you need pressurized oil, for an oil cooler, clearly you're going to use some sort of sandwich adapter on the oil filter.

As for an oil cooler setup, I have seen some simple ones, sandwich adapter to transmission oil cooler rigged up in the back, and some complex ones, that run the oil through the car's radiator piping channel, to the spare tire well, where there is a remote oil filter, with a front-mounted cooler, then back to the engine. It's not a complicated installation in either case, just collect the right parts, and put them on the car.

That is some really good info, I thought this was rocket science to install this, after seeing how simple this install is just makes me wonder bit.

have any members used a filter relocation kit to move the filter else where in the car ? and that stock location of having the oil filter so low make it prone to being knocked off ?

Last edited:
That is some really good info, I thought this was rocket science to install this, after seeing how simple this install is just makes me wonder bit.

have any members used a filter relocation kit to move the filter else where in the car ? and that stock location of having the oil filter so low make it prone to being knocked off ?

The oil filter is not the lowest point on the car, there is a solid brace which protects it from being damaged, also the suspension, etc. - if it were to contact the ground, you would already be in a serious accident.

As I mentioned above, some people relocate the filter to the front spare tire location, especially if they're routing the oil to the front of the car already for an oil cooler.

The oil filter is not the lowest point on the car, there is a solid brace which protects it from being damaged, also the suspension, etc. - if it were to contact the ground, you would already be in a serious accident.

As I mentioned above, some people relocate the filter to the front spare tire location, especially if they're routing the oil to the front of the car already for an oil cooler.

good to know, so guys as our self can do the install and what about the mounting brackets, they are probably very simple to make ;).

Back