• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Conversion Options

Hi everyone-

I'm new to the forum and wanted to gather some opinions about a NSX project I'm considering starting. I've been lurking the past few weeks using the search button and the wiki and figured it was time to start asking questions from the very knowledgable folks here. A bit of background on me - father is Solo II and road course racer going back to the late 70's. Been building and racing cars with him since I was 15. His current project is a Ford 302-powered Miata, which I'm sure will be a beast, but I kind of want to go in my own direction at this point.

I've always been a fan of the Honda/Acura product line and my last 3 cars have been from that line (88 Accord Lxi - college/law school beater, 04 Accord Coupe 6MT - wow, 07 TSX 5AT/navi) Now that I'm starting to get settled in my career, I'm looking to start my own track car project. Naturally, I want it to be a Honda! And when I think Honda performance, I immediately think NSX. =)

I'm probably at least a year away from the green flag, but I wanted to start gathering info now because I've learned from past projects that if you want less headaches later, do your homework early! Some starting ground rules:

1. Car will spend most of its time on track, but should be able to be driven on street.

2. Because of #1, luxuries and accessories don't really matter to me (i.e., A/C, stereo, power accessories, etc)

3. Powertrain needs to remain reliable, both to preserve the "Honda" character, and live comfortably on the track

4. I'm not looking to build an Enzo-killer. :) I'd like to see F355/360 level track performance out of it if possible...

So after lurking for a while, I've settled on the idea of an NSX-R conversion. The R is very close to what I'm after performance-wise, although a bit more hp might be nice... :) And, I love the look of it. Clearly, I can't afford a real one. After spending a few days on Science-of-Speed's website, I discovered a conversion is possible. Then, I checked here and saw some incredible works of art by the members...other than the LHD, you would never know!

So, the basic plan is to by a regular coupe (for rigidity/weight), put it on a diet, slap on the NSX-R cosmetics, juice the engine up a bit, and hit the track! (boy that sounds so simple...wish it was) But, it looks like I have many options:

Donor Car:

1. Find a well-maintained 1991-95 coupe. Problems: Since I'm going to hack it up, rip out most of the interior, and refurbish/tune the engine, it seems like kind of a waste of money, since much of that well-maintained stuff will end up on my garage floor. Also, I feel kind of bad chopping up a nice example of a classic, rare car.

2. Find a trashed/salvage 1991-95 coupe. Preferably with only front-end damage (or perhaps rolled?), since I'm replacing the hood, bumper, lip, headlights and painting the thing anyway. New fenders are ~$850 each from Acura. Ideally, an otherwise pristine example driven by some kid who wants to play fast-and-furious on the interstate and ends up kissing a guardrail or ditch. Problems: Well, it's salvage. :) The damage may be beyond cosmetic. If the front suspension is off, it could mean an expensive fix. Also, the frame could be bent or fatigued - certain doom on the track if it comes apart under hard load (happened to dad on the track - he's lucky to have only broken a finger!). I've never worked with aluminum before...do the NSX unibodies typically suffer these issues in front impacts? Do frame twisters even work on aluminum (i.e., is it fixable)? Still, the lure of a cheap frame/powertrain means I could divert my money to the conversion instead of the donor car.

3. Find a 97-01 NSX-T. I get the 3.2 and the 6MT. Problems: I'll have extra pounds to get rid of and less rigidity to boot. Cost is an issue too, especially since I'll still have to do the conversion. The general consensus here seems to be the 3.2 and 6MT aren't really worth the extra dollars.

4. Find an 02+ NSX-T. Cost plus NSX-R conversion cost puts it out of my range.

So, right now I'm leaning toward #1 or #2. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have a question about the tranny though - would it be better from a track standpoint (on the NA1) to do the 5MT with the JDM gears and NSX-R final drive, or just get a 6MT w/ NSX-R final drive? Or is it pretty much a wash?

Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for the long post!

Do it right the first time without regrets.

Option 1,3, and 4

Trashed car still a trashed car. Potentially could cost you as much as buying a none salverged car by the time you are done. For your goal, a higher mileage non salvaged NSX in decent shape is perfectly ok.

Cost saving is a costly mistake many don't realize untill it is too late. Usually end up costing more than doing it right the first time.

Downforce front end conversion package is affordable. Not to mention you can sell your old parts to offset some cost.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91404

The 02 or r conversion does more than just looks. It is functional + weight reduction. You will shave additional 40 to 50lbs just on exterior alone.

Downforce offer quality conversion package at great pricing, no excuse to not do it right the first time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, nsxsupra. Your Type R conversion is one of the best on this site, so I'll definitely take your words to heart!

get a hard top. save all the parts you strip off, and when/if you decide to sell, put them back on.

unless you know exactly what is wrong with the salvage car id steer clear.

BTW not to thread jack but, i know body shops can verify if a frame is strait on a car, is it very accurate verification or its still iffy?
anyone know how they verify it??

The OP of this thread came across a "donor-type" car in his NSX search, although the seller seems to think it's a pristine example. Check it out, it may be what you're looking for.

BTW, for a "mostly track" car, you may want to also consider a rear beam with non-compliance bushings.

006.jpg

008.jpg

i would personally go with choice #1
OB1 has more capable tuning. cheaper insurance. cheaper registration.

a trashed NSX is going to cause you a lot of headache plus way more money than you wouldve spent if you had gotten a well maintained car to begin with.

honda parts are not cheap. they get more expensive for the NSX.

if you want a NSX-R conversion, go with DOWNFORCE's 02+ NSX-R conversion package found here. it is the most complete and crazy affordable package you can and will ever get. i've personally put together three 02+/NSX-R conversions together including my own car.

im counting about 3 more. i'm also helping 2 shops right now through the conversion process.
other places can't seem to get it right for some reason?
i guess it takes hands on NSX experience to get things right.

NSXSUPRA/Jason's conversion is one of the best looking conversions right now in case you haven't seen. I'm glad he took my advice and gotten things done correctly. unlike some other people who have the need to always have to be the different one :wink:

NSX-R conversion is my specialty, along with many other NSX related things.
if you want performance upgrades, they are also coming along.

if you want a half done track car, i would suggest SIMO's NSX. he's got one of the most stripped down/lightest NSX out there.

Hi everyone-

I'm new to the forum and wanted to gather some opinions about a NSX project I'm considering starting. I've been lurking the past few weeks using the search button and the wiki and figured it was time to start asking questions from the very knowledgable folks here. A bit of background on me - father is Solo II and road course racer going back to the late 70's. Been building and racing cars with him since I was 15. His current project is a Ford 302-powered Miata, which I'm sure will be a beast, but I kind of want to go in my own direction at this point.

I've always been a fan of the Honda/Acura product line and my last 3 cars have been from that line (88 Accord Lxi - college/law school beater, 04 Accord Coupe 6MT - wow, 07 TSX 5AT/navi) Now that I'm starting to get settled in my career, I'm looking to start my own track car project. Naturally, I want it to be a Honda! And when I think Honda performance, I immediately think NSX. =)

I'm probably at least a year away from the green flag, but I wanted to start gathering info now because I've learned from past projects that if you want less headaches later, do your homework early! Some starting ground rules:

1. Car will spend most of its time on track, but should be able to be driven on street.

2. Because of #1, luxuries and accessories don't really matter to me (i.e., A/C, stereo, power accessories, etc)

3. Powertrain needs to remain reliable, both to preserve the "Honda" character, and live comfortably on the track

4. I'm not looking to build an Enzo-killer. :) I'd like to see F355/360 level track performance out of it if possible...

So after lurking for a while, I've settled on the idea of an NSX-R conversion. The R is very close to what I'm after performance-wise, although a bit more hp might be nice... :) And, I love the look of it. Clearly, I can't afford a real one. After spending a few days on Science-of-Speed's website, I discovered a conversion is possible. Then, I checked here and saw some incredible works of art by the members...other than the LHD, you would never know!

So, the basic plan is to by a regular coupe (for rigidity/weight), put it on a diet, slap on the NSX-R cosmetics, juice the engine up a bit, and hit the track! (boy that sounds so simple...wish it was) But, it looks like I have many options:

Donor Car:

1. Find a well-maintained 1991-95 coupe. Problems: Since I'm going to hack it up, rip out most of the interior, and refurbish/tune the engine, it seems like kind of a waste of money, since much of that well-maintained stuff will end up on my garage floor. Also, I feel kind of bad chopping up a nice example of a classic, rare car.

2. Find a trashed/salvage 1991-95 coupe. Preferably with only front-end damage (or perhaps rolled?), since I'm replacing the hood, bumper, lip, headlights and painting the thing anyway. New fenders are ~$850 each from Acura. Ideally, an otherwise pristine example driven by some kid who wants to play fast-and-furious on the interstate and ends up kissing a guardrail or ditch. Problems: Well, it's salvage. :) The damage may be beyond cosmetic. If the front suspension is off, it could mean an expensive fix. Also, the frame could be bent or fatigued - certain doom on the track if it comes apart under hard load (happened to dad on the track - he's lucky to have only broken a finger!). I've never worked with aluminum before...do the NSX unibodies typically suffer these issues in front impacts? Do frame twisters even work on aluminum (i.e., is it fixable)? Still, the lure of a cheap frame/powertrain means I could divert my money to the conversion instead of the donor car.

3. Find a 97-01 NSX-T. I get the 3.2 and the 6MT. Problems: I'll have extra pounds to get rid of and less rigidity to boot. Cost is an issue too, especially since I'll still have to do the conversion. The general consensus here seems to be the 3.2 and 6MT aren't really worth the extra dollars.

4. Find an 02+ NSX-T. Cost plus NSX-R conversion cost puts it out of my range.

So, right now I'm leaning toward #1 or #2. Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have a question about the tranny though - would it be better from a track standpoint (on the NA1) to do the 5MT with the JDM gears and NSX-R final drive, or just get a 6MT w/ NSX-R final drive? Or is it pretty much a wash?

Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for the long post!

If your father wants any info regarding the v8 mx5 (miata in the states) been doing it in oz for awhile:smile:

http://www.bulletcars.com/Company/pressarchive/fastCarGivesShares_Nov01.html

Thanks everyone for all this great advice...I always heard that prime was a wonderful community and you all have proven it true! :)

Well I think option #1 seems to be the consensus. I'm thinking a well-maintained early coupe, high miles? I'll change out the gear set, freshen up the engine and repaint, so I don't think a garage queen is necessary... Maybe like a 91-94, 100k+ commuting hwy miles, average paint with scuffs, chips, etc (since I'm painting it anyway). Basically a car someone drove every day as their main car with all of the wear and tear of normal driving, but maintained per Acura's schedule. I saw during my thread searches that there are very few white 91-94 examples out there, so do you think it's more cost effective to wait to find a white one, or forget about color and focus on finding the best one I can and turn it into a white one?

Evo, your comments got me thinking...maybe it's worth searching for a car that already is partway into the conversion process? A project car someone started, but for whatever reason can't finish?

Frank, I may just have to take you up on that field trip to NJ. :D I'd love to see how it all comes together, if nothing else for the pure motivation factor! You turned your NSX from black to yellow, correct?

ajnsx-
Not to hijack my own thread lol, but my dad got his kit through here: http://www.monstermiata.com/default.asp Interestingly, the spec'd performance is rather close to where my Type R will likely fall...should make for some fun father/son moments at the Glen :cool:

Back