• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much to make a coupe a targa??

Impossible to do correctly, IMHO. You're much better off just buying a 95+ in the first place. Or, if you already have a coupe, sell it and buy a 95+. It'll be cheaper.

The company that did this was called newport conversions. Not sure if they are still in buisness. I personally like the coupe alot better, but its your car. Go for it. I think they charge around $6,000, with putting all the supports where needed. Hope this helps. Frank

Wow! Somebody does do it. Thanks Frank (for not bashing me for asking) I just traded in my convert for my 2nd nsx.....I found almost the exact car that I had when I was younger...back in 94 so I had to buy it. Sure miss the removable/targa top....

There are a few of them around, Downforce had a used conversion around a while back. Someone in MD has one, a black car if I recall correctly.:wink:

There are a few of them around, Downforce had a used conversion around a while back. Someone in MD has one, a black car if I recall correctly.:wink:

DCNSX was in VA, but now he's in NC. He's a friend of mine and I've spent some time in his car. I think you're better off getting a factory targa. His leaked a bit, required special seals, was hard to take off and didn't fit in the engine compartment. Plus, I don't think they reinforced the A pillars. They did put a massive X brace under the car though. Just get a factory one...

Well there was a conversion from a NSX-T to a coupe a few years ago, so in theory you could convert a coupe to a T. However, the structural changes probably aren't worth it. 1995 NSX-T's are now selling in the mid $30k range so why not just buy an OEM T?

a few years ago I saw a nsx convertible on ebay. Once I had seen that I knew that anything is possible. If you plan it out, look closely at a stock T and take your time and not rush it should work. Its your car, live the way you want. I do.

You're ignoring the drastically lower market value for a car that was converted. Let's look at the numbers. You can buy a coupe for, say, $30K, spend $8K on a conversion, and you'll have a car that's worth about $22K, that you spent $38K for. Or, you can buy an NSX-T for about $35K, and you'll have a car that's worth $35K, that you spent $35K for. Your choice...

Yeah, your right. Maybe I pulled the trigger too quick. Oh well
Anybody want to trade me a T for a coupe? Its gotta be black and a 5/6 speed!! Black interior!

sawzall.jpg

"How much to make a coupe into a targa"? I'd say about $3-5K. That is the difference between selling your coupe and buying an NSX-T. :smile:

Last edited:
Yeah, you are all right....too much work and not worth it. Its just a daily driver and figured if someone could do an excellent job for 2-3k I would do it. I didnt buy the car as an investment, its my daily driver so I am not so anal or concerned about it. Just thought it would be cool to take the top off. Thanks for all your input, I will keep the top on.

The T-Tops also had reinforced Chassis rails with stronger Alloy Extrusion.
Impossible to replicate.

That really is a big difference to reinforce the Targa. Agree that it should not be done, since the real Targa has enough flex already........Steve

Back