• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

01 Silverstone low miles maintenance/upgrade thread

hxp6Zl.jpg

I just got this car last month and I'm totally loving it. I posted a thread about it here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158222

Since I've gotten it, I've put 500 miles on it and have gotten moderately familiar with it.
In this thread I will document the work I do and ask noob questions that I can't find the answer to with search or the wiki :)

The plan is to keep it mostly stock, only adding easily reversible mods and no drilling holes or anything like that. As for the mods, that will be a good exhaust, NSX-R wing, mild suspension mods and possibly wheels.

I will also track it occasionally so I'm going to add some reliability mods too.

So far I've

- changed the oil with 10w30 synthetic
- cleaned air filter
- removed the clutch damper and installed a bypass line
- flushed/bled the clutch fluid

Timing Belt
Next up is replacing the timing belt as it's got the original 11 year old belt in there.
There's also some oil seepage going on at the bottom of the motor that looks like the oil pan gasket to me. So since I'm doing all this work, I'm going to pull the pan and replace the gasket. Since I'm doing that, I'll weld in an oil pan baffle from SOS.
I'm also replacing the valve cover gaskets and VTEC gaskets too.

I'm not doing the water pump as it only has ~9000 miles on it and it's fairly expensive. If it fails in the future I can install a new one myself, my labor is free :)

Today I ordered all of the parts for the belt and other items:

- 1 OEM Timing belt

- 2 Valve cover gasket sets
- 4 Rubber cam plugs
- 2 VTEC gasket+filter things 15825-P08-005
- 2 VTEC solenoid base gaskets 36172-P08-015

- 1 SOS damper pulley shield, in case the damper separates on the track..

- 1 Oil pan gasket
- 1 SOS oil pan baffle

- 1 Fuel filter
- 2 Belts - AC and alternator

I don't know which special crankshaft tool to get though. Do I need the 45mm crank tool or the standard 50mm one? And if I need the 45mm one, where is a good place to buy it cheaply?

Any tricks on welding in the oil pan baffle? It looks very straight forward and I'm pretty good with MIG. I'll be sure not to warp anything or leave splatter.

The only thing I think I'm missing is the crank tool though. I have a feeling my 1/2" inch impact won't budge the bolt so I'd like to get the tool beforehand.

Last edited:
I thought I picked up my 45mm crank pulley tool from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-648818-Honda-Pulley-Crankshaft/dp/B0002Q8TR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331312225&sr=8-1) - unfortunately, they are not in stock right now.

I have yet to use it yet on my '92, so can not say for certain this is the right size. I also have the 50mm, so hopefully one of them will fit. I have been too lazy to simply measure it - which I suggest you do, since it is fairly easy to get to.

Good luck, and nice Silverstone!

I'm not doing the water pump as it only has ~9000 miles on it and it's fairly expensive. If it fails in the future I can install a new one myself, my labor is free :)

Just keep in mind that if the water pump ever siezes then it will break the timing belt and then your engine will go kaboom.

^^ Yeah I know that but I figure the chance of a pump with 8000 miles and no leaks just seizing up without warning is low enough that I don't need to worry. Since it's not leaking out of the shaft seal, the bearings aren't getting washed out--and it's not making any noise at all.

When I do the belt, I'll feel the pump for shaft play and of course replace it if there is any.
After that if it's on it's way to seizing up, it will make noise or leak before doing so.

I thought I picked up my 45mm crank pulley tool from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-6488...8TR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331312225&sr=8-1) - unfortunately, they are not in stock right now.

I have yet to use it yet on my '92, so can not say for certain this is the right size. I also have the 50mm, so hopefully one of them will fit. I have been too lazy to simply measure it - which I suggest you do, since it is fairly easy to get to.

Good luck, and nice Silverstone!

Thanks! Yeah I'll probalby end up measuring it this weekend unless I get a definitive answer :)

Back