• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02 with 70,000 miles installed Bilsteins

You could use the lower perch but that only drops it I think .75 inches. I forget since it's been so long. Drops are about looks so if you're happy with being slightly lower then that's fine.

If you wanted to be a little lower I'd go with tanabe springs or a spring that will offer a 1.3-1.5 inch drop.

You could use the lower perch but that only drops it I think .75 inches. I forget since it's been so long. Drops are about looks so if you're happy with being slightly lower then that's fine.

If you wanted to be a little lower I'd go with tanabe springs or a spring that will offer a 1.3-1.5 inch drop.

I don't really want to drop the car at all. However going to the Volk CE28N's 17X7.5 +43 offset 18X9.5 +40 offset I'll probably need to drop it a tad to avoid the raised look. I don't want progressive springs either. So I figure Bilstein with OEM springs on lower perch which gives 7/8" drop or Zanardi shocks and springs which give a 0.6" front and 0.3" rear drop. The Bilsteins will have a lifetime warranty and seem to have a very good rep here other than some possible squeeks. The Zanardi setup is used and will have no warranty and more costly to purchase.

RPM and Solidol, wondering about ride quality of the Bilsteins when you replaced your old shocks? I'm here in the suburbs of Detroit and the roads are generally horrible (more annoying than the potholes is the fact that most of the roads are concrete that has all kind of cracks, seams, etc.) and it is to the point where driving the car other than on a few select roads (read: recently repaved) is just miserable. I have a /94 5 speed that I have owned for last 5 years (bought in November /09 in AZ with 18,800 miles, now 48,000 miles) and don't perceive any degradation in handling over that period. Ride has gotten worse than 5 years ago but suspect this is in large part due to the conditon of the roads. When you installed the Bilsteins, did you perceive an improvement in ride quality? Now I realize this is highly subjective and if your shocks were seriously worn the car would clearly ride better on new shocks. I have no bounce or strange noises from the suspension and at VIR car was pretty stable/planted. I just wonder if after 20 years the dampers wear to the point where new ones would improve the ride. If anyone else has an opinion or actual experience with shock replacement after 15-20 years on a fairly low mileage car where shocks were not leaking/otherwise defective and handling was still tight but ride had degraded, I'd very much like to hear from you. I know that the NSX isn't going to ride like my /06TL but given the state of the roads around here and fact that I just don't want to drive the car much anymore as a result thereof I'm open to shock replacement if there is a reasonable possibility that ride will improve a bit. I guess this is one way to keep the miles low but I actually would prefer to be able to enjoy the car. Thanks in advance for your input and happy holidays.

Best,
Jeff

RPM and Solidol, wondering about ride quality of the Bilsteins when you replaced your old shocks? I'm here in the suburbs of Detroit and the roads are generally horrible (more annoying than the potholes is the fact that most of the roads are concrete that has all kind of cracks, seams, etc.) and it is to the point where driving the car other than on a few select roads (read: recently repaved) is just miserable. I have a /94 5 speed that I have owned for last 5 years (bought in November /09 in AZ with 18,800 miles, now 48,000 miles) and don't perceive any degradation in handling over that period. Ride has gotten worse than 5 years ago but suspect this is in large part due to the conditon of the roads. When you installed the Bilsteins, did you perceive an improvement in ride quality? Now I realize this is highly subjective and if your shocks were seriously worn the car would clearly ride better on new shocks. I have no bounce or strange noises from the suspension and at VIR car was pretty stable/planted. I just wonder if after 20 years the dampers wear to the point where new ones would improve the ride. If anyone else has an opinion or actual experience with shock replacement after 15-20 years on a fairly low mileage car where shocks were not leaking/otherwise defective and handling was still tight but ride had degraded, I'd very much like to hear from you. I know that the NSX isn't going to ride like my /06TL but given the state of the roads around here and fact that I just don't want to drive the car much anymore as a result thereof I'm open to shock replacement if there is a reasonable possibility that ride will improve a bit. I guess this is one way to keep the miles low but I actually would prefer to be able to enjoy the car. Thanks in advance for your input and happy holidays.

Best,
Jeff

My shocks were 13 years old, and not leaking. I knew that the degradation was gradual over time, and just felt that while the car rode and handled well, it could be better. I loved the way the car felt when new, and didn't want a "bone/kidney crusher". I also felt that the car looked a little 'high" and a very slight drop would improve the "cosmetics", at least to me. From the moment I picked up the car at Larry B's, I was very happy. It felt just so much better, smooth and tight, and looked just right!! I kept the stock springs, and can't wait for spring to come, so I can go back to enjoying the car, as it was meant to be...............driven!!!!

I don't really want to drop the car at all. However going to the Volk CE28N's 17X7.5 +43 offset 18X9.5 +40 offset I'll probably need to drop it a tad to avoid the raised look. I don't want progressive springs either. So I figure Bilstein with OEM springs on lower perch which gives 7/8" drop or Zanardi shocks and springs which give a 0.6" front and 0.3" rear drop. The Bilsteins will have a lifetime warranty and seem to have a very good rep here other than some possible squeeks. The Zanardi setup is used and will have no warranty and more costly to purchase.
Anybody got any pics of the Volk CE28N's on a stock height NSX?

Excuse my ignorance who is Larry B and where does he hide out?
Larry B is one of the very best NSX mechanics in the entire country, maybe even THE very best. He does the work in Warwick NY, about an hour or so from New York City. He posts here as NSXprime username "Larry Bastanza". You can send him an e-mail by clicking here, or a private message through NSXprime by clicking here.

Last edited:
Anybody got any pics of the Volk CE28N's on a stock height NSX?

Here are some close up pics of the CE28N's on my car. Fronts are 17 x 8 and rears are 18 x 10.5.
I reshaped the contours of the wheels and had them powder coated in chrome.
CIMG5498.jpg
CIMG4207.JPG

Here's a pic of the car at lower than stock ride height:
BG7A3097c-2.jpg

Here's a pic of my car in higher than stock ride height... aka "ATV mode".
WP_20141031_040.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG5496.jpg
    CIMG5496.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 337
shockwarehouse seems to throw them on sale for 10% off every so often

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some close up pics of the CE28N's on my car. Fronts are 17 x 8 and rears are 18 x 10.5.
I reshaped the contours of the wheels and had them powder coated in chrome.
View attachment 119840
View attachment 119839

Here's a pic of the car at lower than stock ride height:
View attachment 119841

Here's a pic of my car in higher than stock ride height... aka "ATV mode".
View attachment 119842
Are any of the pics at stock height?

shockwarehouse seems to throw them on sale for 10% off every so often

- - - Updated - - -

Are any of the pics at stock height?

The close up photos of the wheels were taken about 5 years ago and they were close to stock height.... perhaps a little lower.

The photo with the harbor in the background is how my car is currently set up. It is lower than stock height. The distance to the front jack point is 4.25 inches and the rear is at 4.5 inches.

Keep in mind that the tire size will greatly affect the look of the car. My front tires are 235/40 in the front and 295/35 in the rear. They are oversized and reduce the gap between the tire and the wheel well.

i just ordered a set using the shock55 code $604.96 shipped for them all.

I hvae a question about them, i have the comptech lowering springs now, so i should run these at the stock perch height correct? to stay the same height my car is now.

Just installed Bilstein's to replace my stock dampers.
Wow! The difference is night and day.
Any model year NSX with a stock suspension needs these!

Just installed Bilstein's to replace my stock dampers.
Wow! The difference is night and day.
Any model year NSX with a stock suspension needs these!

I put Bilsteins on last summer, I really like them. Original shocks were pretty worn out. Good drop, lower perch. Actually, for whatever reason I think the rear is actually a little too low, front is just right but that is just me being pedantic.

Had my local SoCal NSX guy come out to my house and install the Bilsteins on Saturday. Car feels completely different, granted the OEM shocks were done. I'm on the lower perch and the ride feels less harsh. What little body roll I felt before is even more imperceptible.

Back