• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

03 ABS flush

pbl

Registered Member
Hi, I would like to change my brake fluid and install the speed-bleeders as well but have a basic questions. My 03 has a simpler design than the previous models. I do not have a second reservoir for the ABS system, my brake reservoir feeds directly into the ABS motor. So I think all I need to do is suck out the old fluid from the brake reservoir and bleed out the system completely of old fluid and I hope this will flush out the abs system as well. I do not see any bleed for the ABS, is this correct or am I missing something.
Thanks,
Pete

Pete,
I would suggest trying to look at the maintenance manual for the 03 model and see what it says. I am not familiar with the new style system. I am becoming intimately familiar with the 91 model out of necessity. The manual on the 91 is very informative and I am sure that the 03 is going to be the same. Talk real nice to the head mechanic at the dealership where you have your car serviced to look at their manuals. Taking them lunch sometimes will make brownie points.

Brad

Thanks Brad, you guys have some great articles and tool sharing for your abs system that I have read here. I have the 03 supplement manual and I did not see anything that mentioned the revised abs system. I can give the local Acura dealer a call on Monday and see what they can tell me.
Thanks again,
Pete

Pete,
I think that the supplement only covers any differences for your year, "03". It should say in the front that it is the supplement to the "??" (year) manual. What you will need to do is find that base manual. I would suspect that the "02" will be the base manual since that was the first year of the "New" body style.
If you find an electronic copy of the "02" year, I would really like to have a copy of the Brake section to read about the ABS system. The more I can read about the system the better I understand it. I will check with the guys that I have bought lunch for and make a copy.
Brad

The later ABS system change (more modern-I think it shares fluid like the OP says) may not coincide with the 02 body change. I think it does not but not sure when it happened. The manual for 03 year will say what to do though. However, I'm sure someone will chime in with your answer if you don't have the manual.

The newer ABS system started in the 2000 model year. This newer style system is in line with the brake system, therefore flushing the overall system(each caliper) is all that is required.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks guys, I am going to do exactly what LarryB sated with my new speed-bleeders and LM, I think after a good flushing I will be all set.
I had bought the 03 (what Helm's said was the service manual) "supplement service manual" and returned it, it only had spec changes & maintenance schedules, twenty pages or so (I made a copy of the spec changes :smile: ). They than sent me the 97 complete service manual (4x the cost of course). This manual is complete but things like the abs are not current along with the recent drive-shaft boot replacement I did concerning the new strap tool. Thanks to you guys here I got all the info I needed to do that correctly.

Thanks again for all the replys...very much appreciated.
Pete

Back