• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'05 NSX vs '97 F355

F355 is nice if you only plan to drive it once in a whiles. If you plan to drive the car a lot then get the NSX. I disagree that the nsx does not have any wow factor to it. The NSX still attracts attention everywhere it goes just like a Ferrari. The maintenance will cost you more for the F355....there are guys who own both cars here on prime. So maybe they can chime in........I think both cars are hot but the NSX is more practical and reliable. I have heard one owner who bought a F355 not too long ago saying that he's always so afraid of driving it because he doesn't know when it will break down.

Good luck both are great cars you can't go wrong with either one as long as you pockets can handle it.

Last edited:
I have an attorney friend who rides a H Davidson and Drive his F355 Spider almost on daily basis. He gave me ride in the car couple of times and it really rocked. The sound along AMOST makes me want to buy a Ferrari. He admits the expensive ownership cost and dealt with think it's worth every penny, and he's kept his car super clean.
The car is faster than my old 95 NSX, but still feel faster than the NA2 NSX off line, but not after VTEC kicked in. Two odd things with his car that kinda bothered me a little - the passenger seat is super uncomfortable, and I couldn't recline the seats because the way it was designed, I had to sit almost at 90 degree up right. The gated shifter sounded really clunky, it was a little weird and takes little too much effort. I guess it's normal because that's the way it is.

I like the over all exterior design, but not the pop up headlights, I felt the front section looks more out dated than the NA1 NSX. Over all however, it was much cleaner than the 348 and all I can say is, it's a wonderful car.

But... I didn't like it enough to buy one; I thought about it, it will be really cool to own one in Southern California, but at the end of the day, bought my second NSX; I don't think the price of the car was an issue, but I couldn't deal with the service cost. Even after I had some major service done on my first NSX, which cost me an arm and a leg (one of the screw on the cam block was screwed in an bad angle, which came unthread after 40k miles, and rotten the head gasket. Autowave had to drop the engine, replace the head gaskets, resurface the edge, install a new metal piece to hold the screws, etc…. 3 grand… gone). Even with this isolated incident, the NSX still felt.... more like home... Except when I had to buy new sets tires yesterday - after first 8700 miles... I can only wonder if all that happen to a F355, I might have to get a second mortgage just to cover the repair cost.

Vancehu said:
I have an attorney friend who rides a H Davidson and Drive his F355 Spider almost on daily basis. He gave me ride in the car couple of times and it really rocked. The sound along AMOST makes me want to buy a Ferrari. He admits the expensive ownership cost and dealt with think it's worth every penny, and he's kept his car super clean.
The car is faster than my old 95 NSX, but still feel faster than the NA2 NSX off line, but not after VTEC kicked in. Two odd things with his car that kinda bothered me a little - the passenger seat is super uncomfortable, and I couldn't recline the seats because the way it was designed, I had to sit almost at 90 degree up right. The gated shifter sounded really clunky, it was a little weird and takes little too much effort. I guess it's normal because that's the way it is.

I like the over all exterior design, but not the pop up headlights, I felt the front section looks more out dated than the NA1 NSX. Over all however, it was much cleaner than the 348 and all I can say is, it's a wonderful car.

But... I didn't like it enough to buy one; I thought about it, it will be really cool to own one in Southern California, but at the end of the day, bought my second NSX; I don't think the price of the car was an issue, but I couldn't deal with the service cost. Even after I had some major service done on my first NSX, which cost me an arm and a leg (one of the screw on the cam block was screwed in an bad angle, which came unthread after 40k miles, and rotten the head gasket. Autowave had to drop the engine, replace the head gaskets, resurface the edge, install a new metal piece to hold the screws, etc…. 3 grand… gone). Even with this isolated incident, the NSX still felt.... more like home... Except when I had to buy new sets tires yesterday - after first 8700 miles... I can only wonder if all that happen to a F355,

I might have to get a second mortgage just to cover the repair cost.

I agree :smile:

I'm going through a similar situation except I've thrown a 996 TT into the mix. I'm torn.

F355 Spider - highly impractical, very exotic, dream car since childhood

996 TT - practical, all year round, 2+2

NSX - somewhere in between

Wife says NSX. I say F355. Brain says 996TT.

Yes, during the summer Im happy with my NSX over 996TT choice, but during the winter, well.....

If you're ruled by passion, the F355 is for you.

If you're ruled by logic, get the 996TT.

If you're passionate about being illogical, NSX :D

nicholas421 said:
I'm going through a similar situation except I've thrown a 996 TT into the mix. I'm torn.

F355 Spider - highly impractical, very exotic, dream car since childhood

996 TT - practical, all year round, 2+2

NSX - somewhere in between

Wife says NSX. I say F355. Brain says 996TT.

I say you are living a very rough life. No one should have to make such decisions. :smile:

I appreciate everyone's opinions. I decided to go with the 355 (and a used s2000 for my daily driver). I just couldn't pass up the excellent service history (valve guides done, new clutch, etc.). I'll post pic's and driving impressions once the car gets here. Thanks again!
Vivek

V TACH said:
I appreciate everyone's opinions. I decided to go with the 355 (and a used s2000 for my daily driver). I just couldn't pass up the excellent service history (valve guides done, new clutch, etc.). I'll post pic's and driving impressions once the car gets here. Thanks again!
Vivek

good for you..........yes nothing like Driving a F-Car.........here are some pictures of the 360 Spider I rented last April in FL. me and my wife stayed at the Ritz Carlton Naples Beach hotel............

and driving in the Ritz with this 360, was the BOMB!!...talk about Bling factor....driving this thing in any shopping strip......anyone else driving anything else, NO MATCH, over period when in the Spider.

this did have the FI paddle shift...and it was very jerky in low speeds...the F430 is way better.

but at home, I have two Land cruisers and Two NSX, my CTSC.......would spank the 360...........and in the NSX sitting low, you get more of the Indy Race car feel and view.

as for resale, if you only drive two days a month, if can bet you would be able to sell it next year for about the same price...give or take 2-3 grand...so it is like you just rented a Ferrari for about 2-3 grand for a year....minus cost maintaining.

Cheers
LitoG

Attachments

• fcar.jpg
    fcar.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 328
  • fcar5.jpg
    fcar5.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 306
  • fcar 2.jpg
    fcar 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 280
  • fcar 3.jpg
    fcar 3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 401
  • fcar 4.jpg
    fcar 4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 377
V TACH said:
Vivek
Congrats! Post pics soon.

Well, I took delivery of the 355 last weekend--amazing! The weather has been somewhat suboptimal so I only drove it for about 20-30 minutes on Sunday morning but damn, it was fun! The car takes a significant amount of time to warm up (what seemed like 15 to 20 minutes until it hit ideal running temp). The exhaust note sounds good when it's cold, absolutely amazing when warmed up! I was amazed at how easy the car was to drive and get in and out of. The shift gate really loosens up as the car warms up as well. The clutch is easy to depress and the gated shifter does not take much getting used to. I actually think it's easier to drive than my previous '99 996! The car has plenty of power, the low stance and sound make you feel like you're going even faster than you are! I'll post pics soon..

Congrats. I would have gone with the F355 too- specially a 6sp instead of the F1.

pics please

I am going to try and offer my unbiased opinion:smile: Over the past 9 years have owned over a dozen NSX's and 4 Ferraris ( 3 Testarossa's/ 99' 355 Spyder F1 / 02' NSX Blue ). These are my observations on both:

Pro's for NSX:

-- Reliable
-- Daily driver
-- sounds great, (but not like 355)
-- addictive ( can't explain )
-- Gearbox

Pro's for 355

-- a sound from heaven!
-- Smells great.
-- Addictive too!

Cons for NSX:

-- Lacks F1 sound (like Ferrari)
-- Lacks real Italian smell

Cons for 355:

-- $
-- gated shifter stinks (unless you have F1)
-- Ferrari is more of a Garage Queen, needs that Japanesse reliability.

Can't really go wrong with either. Like someone early said, if you want the daily driver go with the NSX. But if you are craving that Italian mystic, and more of a weekend car go with the F-Car.

My .02
Brian

Failed to read between posts:redface: Enjoy your new 355!

One thing to think about is 'fun per year'. Which has more....
I would bet you could enjoy the NSX every day, where with the Ferrari, maybe 4 -8 times a month.

I am Ferrari guy through and through (sold my NA2 NSX 6 months after I got my 328 because the poor NSX was starting to collect dust).

That said it depends what you want and what you get out of the car. Good choice on the 355...so that means what you have a silver 91 NSX, 97 F355, a 99 Carrera, and S2000?

Nice set of toys! :cool:

Auraraptor said:
I am Ferrari guy through and through (sold my NA2 NSX 6 months after I got my 328 because the poor NSX was starting to collect dust).

That said it depends what you want and what you get out of the car. Good choice on the 355...so that means what you have a silver 91 NSX, 97 F355, a 99 Carrera, and S2000?

Nice set of toys! :cool:

Sorry, I haven't updated my signature in a while. I sold both the NSX and Carrera 4, now I just have the 355 and a Denali XL...doesn't sound nearly as nice does it? I'm still in the market for a S2000...

Acura NSX-T

A Fine Balance

The '97 NSX answers its critics, no louder than necessary

By Sam Moses
Autoweek, September 1st 1997

Driving around in a gorgeous car must be something like being a gorgeous woman: Just when you think you ve heard all the lines, someone comes along with a new one. We were in a parking lot, slipping the easily removable roof panel of our brilliant yellow NSX into the surprisingly roomy trunk, when a guy pulled up in a new Chevy pickup, grinned, and said, "Somebody has too much money.

We felt obliged to burst his bubble, so we returned his smile and replied that it sure wasn't us, because we didn't own the car. As we drove off, we imagined him mumbling to himself, "Well then, somebody has too much luck."

We doubt that he said, "Somebody doesn't have enough engine for his money."

But when was the last time you read a road test of an NSX that didn't say that (in this case, that money is $88,810)? We will stop short of disputing that opinion here, but we will not endorse it. For one thing, the main thing, the latest and punchiest version of the seven-year-old dohc V6 has grown from 3.0 to 3.2 liters (but only with the six-speed, also new for '97), from 270 to 290 horsepower, and from 210 to 224 lb ft of torque. For another thing, it is an extremely sweet and tractable engine, with a usable, linear power curve - refined, in a word, all the way up to its 8000-rpm redline. For yet another: How fast can you really go, on the road (and the NSX is, above all else, a car for the road)? It will accelerate to 60 mph in about 5.0 seconds, and complete a quarter mile in less than 13.5; we would suggest that such acceleration is just about right, for practical application.

Yes, more money can buy you more (Porsche Turbo) - for that matter, much less money can buy you the same (Corvette) but how and where are you going to use it all, smoothly and sanely? And besides, a Ferrari 355 costs nearly 50 grand more, and delivers no more speed from its V8. So why don't testers complain about the weakness of that engine?

We would say that the NSX engine, by design. is an optimum. not a maximum. Titanium connecting rods and all.

We don't mean for this driving impression to become a comparison test. but any discussion of the NSX tends to slip in that direction, because the car's high price and historically low sales seem to need a defense. Let's assume that in a three-car comparison test of performance (including handling) for cost, the NSX would finish second, behind the $42,000 Corvette and slightly ahead of the $105,000 Porsche Turbo (please, indulge us). Now let's add the distinction factor. Everybody has a Porsche or a Vette, At such dollar levels, such things matter.

And in this new '97 color, Spa Yellow, a rich pearlescent paint that glows golden in the sun. the NSX is a very distinctive piece indeed - although (and this is shocking) the paint on the driver's side rocker panel of our test car was mlsmatched. And, of course, there's no getting around the fact that, no matter how well the supercar styling has held up, people have been looking at it for seven years now.

Where others believe that for $89,000 the NSX should have a better engine, we believe that for $89,000 the NSX should have a better feel to the new and compact six-speed gearbox. Smoother shifting. The ratios were wonderfully close - it was pleasing to find that sixth was fully functional, not merely an overdrive as in the Vette - the throws were short, the leather-wrapped and neatly stitched knob was tidy, but a dull ka-chunk came with too many of the gear changes, even the careful ones. Third gear to second, the downshift that's most commonly hammered, could be made hard and quick with a good blip, but there was still an underlying notchiness. It felt harmless, but was annoying, and was definitely beneath the refinement level of the rest of the car.

Besides the styling, there are two things that make this car feel special, like the supercar that it is: the interior layout, and the balanced handling. It's not the easiest of cars to climb in and out of, because it's so low, but the view from inside - through new heat-absorbing "green glass," as it's called - is very commanding because there's no engine to elongate or elevate the hood, and that also allows a roomy sloping of the dash panel between the seats, containing the climate control and cathedral-like Bose sound systems. Everything is black leather. The fit of the driving position, not just the seat is perfectly...balanced.

Balance-wise, there are very little changes at 40, 60, 80, 90 miles per hour in the turns, whether at half, three-fourths, or full throttle. G forces might tug at your head, but the NSX will feel light under your feet and fingertips - much lighter than its 3164-aluminum-packed pounds. The electrically assisted power rack-and-pinion steering and sophisticated double-wishbone suspension with aluminum pieces deliver a very delicate feel for the road, without being harsh on bad pavement.

At GingerMan, the NSX was undaunted by the likes of this Ferrari F40

But mostly, the front wheels will not be in a centrifugal tug of war with the rears. We took the NSX to GingerMan in western Michigan on a day when the track was full of Vipers and Ferraris, each marque having owners' club events in the area that weekend, and although the NSX was not the fastest car on the track, it was probably the steadiest. The neutral handling inspired confidence that led to repeated laps during which we hit the lines perfectly. When we couldn't make the car understeer we sampled the oversteer and, Yeow! The NSX loves it. It's a rare car indeed that feels this secure with the tail out, and remains so forgiving and controllable in that attitude. (The traction control was switched off to achieve this, of course.)

There's no telling how much the Bridgestone Potenza tires contributed to this control at the edge, but we suspect it was to a significant degree. The fronts are 215/45ZR-16 and the rears 245/40ZR-17 - and the rears have a softer compound, to limit oversteer. In addition, the left-side tires are wound in the opposite direction of the rights, which slightly increases toe-in at speed. We were impressed that they didn't squeal; at times of great stress we could hear them trying to squeal, but they limited their protests to a sort of groan.

The brakes for '97 have grown along with the engine; the vented front rotors are 11.7 inches in diameter and 28 mm thick, and the rears are 11.9 inches and 23 mm. GingerMan is hard on brakes, and they survived the demanding afternoon in the heat without any sign of fade.

The engine uses an aluminum block and heads, and achieves its increases to 3.2 liters by using sleeves composed of a material that Acura calls FRM, for fiber-reinforced metal. Another trick is the Variable Volume Induction System, which broadens the torque curve by changing the configuration of the intake system on the fly. A new stainless steel exhaust system completes the 20-horsepower package, and delivers the wonderful growl that, lamentably, only begins at about 5000 rpm and doesn't hit its true beautiful song until 6000.

If you believe that there should be more to the engine than that, because the Porsche gives 400 horsepower and the F355 gives 375 and the Corvette gives 345, and even the relatively lowly Firebird gives 305...well, okay. Believe what you want, but if you turn a blind eye to the unmatched sophistication of the rest of the car, you're missing the best part.

fifrules said:
To some people, the 355 will appear more dated, but I don't know if that matters to you. I mean, the 360 and 430 have come out since, but the NSX replacement is still years away and it has more of that 'new car' illusion. :smile:

I agree. At least from the front-
nsx.jpg

ferrari_f355_1.jpg

but maybe it's that japanese dude's outfit that's making it look dated...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzGYjcH5guc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzGYjcH5guc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/msVU5xpwDE8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/msVU5xpwDE8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited:
NA2 Type R said:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzGYjcH5guc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzGYjcH5guc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
HONDA NSX RULES!
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Again, thanks for all of the input. Coincidentally, I am currently selling the 355 that initiated this post...feel free to buy it now on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260057854192

item number: 260057854192

The Ferrari experience was great, I'm glad I got it out of my system. I recently purchased a 993 C4S and it's currently getting all of my attention while I eagerly await the next generation NSX.

Back