• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1 million dollars is waiting on top, do you have the guts?

Screw that, but at the altitude they get off the elevator, they could skydive off that tower with automated military type of gear I believe.

My friend keith used to put up those antennas on towers, but I don't think he went much over 400'. Even that is insane to me. He has a ton of stories about wind and temperatures even at that height. And free climbing??? HAHAHA... those guys are supermen.

Thats pretty crazy.

I'd wear a parachute to work everyday just in case. Heck, I bet it would be less scary to just base jump your way down instead of climbing down.

I couldn't even finish the video because I was starting to feel sick. These people have some big ol' sacks to be doing this kind of job. Unreal

I worked my way through college at an electrical services company.
I was offered a job like this at one time. They told me they needed someone to change the light bulb at the top of the tower.
I said Hell no.

I'll tell you right now that I don't have the marbles for that! I'm not ashamed of that fact either!

If this thread's title is correct and those guys really make a million dollars I would take their job any day. I would buy a piece of land right next to this tower and I would also trade in my pickup truck for a helicopter, I would ask someone to fly me to work each morning. Once you are up there all strapped up I don't think you have much to worry about.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Watched the whole thing and I gotta say...man, I would do that. It would take me the entire day and I'd likely never do it again but, yeah, I'd climb that tower. Good exercise in controlling your mind and imagination.

I go to a power infrastructure show every year and the tower vendors actually let the linemen, with appropriate safety gear, climb the towers. And they compete on how quickly they can get up and down or perform a specific task. Of course, they aren't any where near the height of this one but the method is the same/similar.

I'd do it. But my wife, on the other hand, she'd kill me quicker than falling from the tower ever would. :biggrin:

Uh... when the narrator was talking about free climbing, I'm pretty sure that meant they were _not_ strapped up. I also don't think they make a million dollars, that probably was a 'fear factor' sort of hypothetical. Which would still not be enough to make me do it.

Uh... when the narrator was talking about free climbing, I'm pretty sure that meant they were _not_ strapped up.

I understood that and didn't mean to insinuate that the utility linemen "free climbed." I would definitely use the necessary safety equipment like the rest of the industry.

Give me a safety line and chute, I would do it. But in all honesty, I'd gas out way way below that height. :redface:

Re: Mind control, big attachments and plain stupidity

It takes the mind and attachments of a tight rope walker to focus and not let emotions creep in.

I don't understand why there couldn't be a caged ladder. Where was this and how did this get past the state's version of OSHA?

Look at that weather !!!! I wouldn't let a student pilot go up with those clouds all around. Since it will take him a good long time to get down, that just looks stupid.

The obvious off hand remark is to get a base jumper to do this work and wear a rig. But base jumping is done in very controlled weather in just certain parts of certain towers, so the odds of not getting hurt/killed in an emergency base jump while working is slim to none. :frown:

nothing like being 1700' in the air climbing a 3" diameter pole not tied off to anything. these guys must have balls the size of watermelons.

I did this job 15 years ago. I worked for a company that had transmission towers all over the province. (ATCO) This video showed him climbing, but not doing any actual work. The highest I was up was only 350ft, but it was on a 9X 9X9 inch triangular tower. Getting up is one thing. Performing a task once you are up there is the tough part. every tool is tied to avoid dropping and doing dammage. I ran a spectrum analyzer at 300ft and tuned a dish. Keeping your train of thought is more difficult than you could ever imagine. Just changing the light bulb at the top takes a lot of additional skill. (today they use LED bulbs for longer life)
Maintenance needs to be done, but you are mostly checking for issues caused buy guys doing target practice trying to shoot the red lamp at the top. They do a lot of dammage to the equipment and transimission lines due to poor aim.
I never did any free climbing like this guy. I always had a harness attached to a cable c/w a brake.
late Fall with snow on the ladder was an extra challenge. six pair of gloves to keep your hands dry and at maximum grip on one climb.
Today when driving by towers that I have climbed in the past, amaze me. I really can't believe I did that.

Just talking to my buddy Keith today who used to put up antennae on towers. He said the highest he ever had to climb was 310'. He would sometimes go up just to pull off a lightning rod and drop it to the ground. It took him about 10 minutes up, 10 minutes down, it was all free climbing and he'd make about $500. He was telling me about how once he had to climb a "monopole" but forgot he was told that and the ladders on those start 20' up. He had to stack a bunch of palettes he found laying around about 14', all teetering and tottering and jump from there to grab the ladder. He got up to the top and then had to climb around to the back side of the tower away from the ladder on a 2" lip with bolts all around it to get to the area he needed to work on. He only had one hand to do the work because he was clipped in on the far side and needed to hold himself onto the tower.

Screw that!

Am I the only one who thinks the climb down would be a lot harder?

No, I agree - I could probably have the balls to go up, coming down would be an issue for me. My solution, go up - and jump off with a parachute.

Back