• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1 Week Review

After 1 week with the NSX, I’ve already fallen in love with the car for many reasons.

I’ve owned a boat load of high-end sports cars, none in this price bracket besides a 911 Turbo, including 15 911s, 12 Vettes (including ZR1), M4-6, AMG C-CLS, Maserati GranTurismo, etc...

In all of that ownership experience, never have a received the attention from random people as this car generates.

Using the car as a Daily Driver, I’ve really figured out the different drive modes and how I can dial in the level of performance and involvement that I want at any given moment. This car, over any other that I’ve owned, has completely separate personalities based off of the dial in the center console. It is fantastic.

The handling of this car is fantastic, almost otherworldly. I know critics say the car is too heavy at 3800+ lbs, but it doesn’t feel it’s weight like a Lexus LC500 feels it. I think it lends to its planted feeling, and obviously, acceleration isn’t negatively impacted based off of the 3 sec sprint to 60.

Having done loads of research before pulling the trigger on the NSX, I am struggling to see how Edmunds gave the car a 3 star rating. None of the competing cars, save the 911 TurboS, are any more storage friendly and none of them will reach the reliability levels that we will see from the NSX.

The electric motors eliminate lag and the torque vectoring is real and creates a handling sensation like no other car in its class.

I’ve driven the McLaren 570GT, Huracan, R8, Porsche, etc.... and the NSX is at least on par with all of them, in fact, I would say that it is more well-rounded and suitable to be daily driven without fear of warning lights, comfort, and excessive maintenance.

The only negatives are the lack of safety tech offered (a minimum of blind-spot monitoring should be standard or available), no Rain sensing wipers, lack of seat adjustability, and limited individuality of build.

Fantastic automobile.

Glad you are enjoying your car.

How often do you tend to change cars? The 15 911s and 12 Vettes has me stunned.

I change cars quite frequently. Kind of an expensive vice.

I generally keep cars for a year, some I keep and flip others.

It drives my fiancé and my kids crazy, but, hey, I’ve been quite fortunate having the ability to do it without having impact to my lifestyle.

I change cars quite frequently. Kind of an expensive vice.

I generally keep cars for a year, some I keep and flip others.

It drives my fiancé and my kids crazy, but, hey, I’ve been quite fortunate having the ability to do it without having impact to my lifestyle.

CONGRATS on your new NSX! Would enjoy seeing a couple photos when you can. Appreciated your thoughts on it.
Seems you have made many donations (in the form of sales taxes - which I absolutely HATE to pay) on your various awesome sports cars :wink:

100% agree on the Blindspot monitoring. This car has a massive Blindspot.

It is criminally underrated. The hate is driven mostly by internet commentators who have never been within 50 feet of one.

MC

I totally, totally, 100% agree.......

Had I paid $200K sight unseen to order the car, I can see not being totally happy, but at the $141K I paid for the car, I can definitely live with the cars little quirks.

But overall, a tremendous bargain for the styling ,technology, performance and build quality.

And I also have people giving amazing reactions to the car. They have no idea what it is but they all think it's amazing....

Love mine....... !

Most of the negative commentary derives from the cost of the new car as you mention. Hence the reason why everyone sat on the fence until blockbuster deals arrived. It’s an amazing machine, just an about face to the original. There’s lots I like about it and some I do not. Just remember, people on the internet usually ignore any social manners whatsoever and always have an opinion. I’ve done it a few times and realize that if I cannot say something in person without sounding like a dick, I shouldn’t say it online. Also, bad press is just as good if not better than positive press. It gets people talking. :wink:

I had the windows tinted today (35% LLumar CTX) and there was a crowd of folks checking out the car.

The car isn’t even that quirky when comparing it to the direct competition.

McLaren 570- reliability issues and quirky
Audi R8- tight interior, crazy maintanence
Porsche 911- so common and all look the same regardless of price point. Terrible infotainment interface, insane options.

There is nothing from Lamborghini or Ferrari in the same class (Huracan costs so much more and Ferrari are all over the top dollars).

This car is misunderstood partly because of Acur’s (Honda) positioning and pricing. The NSX is a great $150,000 car loaded. The $200k price level was overreaching and killed the buzz.

This is an everyday super car, just like a Z06 or ZR1, 911, GranTurismo, AMG GT. That is the real competition.

Glad to see you enjoy the NSX, you nailed it....JM2C...I could be wrong..:tongue:

I had the windows tinted today (35% LLumar CTX) and there was a crowd of folks checking out the car.

The car isn’t even that quirky when comparing it to the direct competition.

McLaren 570- reliability issues and quirky
Audi R8- tight interior, crazy maintanence
Porsche 911- so common and all look the same regardless of price point. Terrible infotainment interface, insane options.

There is nothing from Lamborghini or Ferrari in the same class (Huracan costs so much more and Ferrari are all over the top dollars).

This car is misunderstood partly because of Acur’s (Honda) positioning and pricing. The NSX is a great $150,000 car loaded. The $200k price level was overreaching and killed the buzz.

This is an everyday super car, just like a Z06 or ZR1, 911, GranTurismo, AMG GT. That is the real competition.

Sorry but the nsx is just as tight as the r8 inside and maintenance cost are also very close.

LittleBobbas, can you give me more details on it? I am in the market for a new toy, can't decide what to get. I am cross shopping NSX Gen 2, R8, Z06 and LC500.
thanks.

The gen 2 NSX is an awesome car but I believe the gen 2 R8 is better (you cant go wrong either way). I strongly suggest you test drive both. I wouldnt even consider the LC500.... different animal and same with the Z06 (corvettes are everywhere).

If you want the absolutely fastest car in a straight line for the cheapest amount go Z06. If you want a semi exotic with everyday driving abilities I would go Gen 2 r8 first then gen 2 nsx second.

The gen 2 NSX is an awesome car but I believe the gen 2 R8 is better (you cant go wrong either way). I strongly suggest you test drive both. I wouldnt even consider the LC500.... different animal and same with the Z06 (corvettes are everywhere).

If you want the absolutely fastest car in a straight line for the cheapest amount go Z06. If you want a semi exotic with everyday driving abilities I would go Gen 2 r8 first then gen 2 nsx second.

Thanks LittleBobbas, can you give me some insight on the difference on the maintaince cost you mention earier? Nsx and R8 about the same?

R8 maintenance cost is minimal. I have owned a gen 1 v10 for years and a good friend owns a gen 2. Think about this. With r8 less things to go wrong. 1 engine unlike nsx where you have way more moving parts and still an unproven long term platform for reliability. I'm not saying a gen 2 nsx is bad just that long term you will likely have less maintenance expenses and less to likely break.

Personally I'm still considering to add a gen 2 nsx 8n the future but if I had to only choose 1 car long term it would be a gen 2 r8.

I strongly suggest you test drive both.

IIRC, the NSX hybrid parts are under warranty for 7 years? I wouldn't own a German car, especially after warranty is out. Great if you have good luck, but massively expensive if something goes wrong. My son has a 5 year old BMW 3 series, and it has a leaking oil filter base gasket. $6 gasket and $1,200 labor quote..... I'd think Audi would be worse? I had an Audi many years ago, and swore I'd never own another one..... Perhaps they've come a long way. Not trying to be negative toward the R8, just my personal experience with German cars..... Only thing worse might be an English car.......

IIRC, the NSX hybrid parts are under warranty for 7 years? I wouldn't own a German car, especially after warranty is out. Great if you have good luck, but massively expensive if something goes wrong. My son has a 5 year old BMW 3 series, and it has a leaking oil filter base gasket. $6 gasket and $1,200 labor quote..... I'd think Audi would be worse? I had an Audi many years ago, and swore I'd never own another one..... Perhaps they've come a long way. Not trying to be negative toward the R8, just my personal experience with German cars..... Only thing worse might be an English car.......

I think I will just lease my next Fun Car regardless is a R8 or Nsx. :confused:

I'd also add that hybrid technology is not new or unproven...... The first Toyota Prius hybrid was introduced in 1997, 21 years ago!!!! Also, Honda has a long involvement in
Formula 1 going back decades, and the block and heads are Cosworth....... So I would not worry one little bit about reliability of the engine. 21st century automotive engineering is highly advanced. (knock on wood!)

Lease is a good way to find out if you really like the car or not. I've never leased a car before the 2017 nsx but I like it so much that I'm not really in a hurry to get another high end car (I did buy the mkiv TT with 203k miles from bat last week but that's because Im retarded and can't help myself). My gallardo sits, the boxster spyder sits.

hybrid system is covered under emissions warranty (8yr/100k). coverage of other parts varies by state.
http://owners.acura.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/2017_Acura_NSX_-_EWPL_BPL08167.pdf

from what i've read, the oil filter gasket is a problem on numerous bmws.

Last edited:
I'd Also like to add that the hybrid system has definitely already been proven and tested. The 3 motor setup has been used in the RLX since 2014. This is not the first Acura to use a setup like this. I've yet to hear of any serious issues with the cars and they have been out for a year and a half now or so? Biggest issues I've heard of are the rattle if you got the carbon interior pack and some complaints of wind noises and higher speeds. Both easy fixes. Time will tell but so far I don't think you could ask for much better in terms of reliability of the NSX.

I'd bet on Honda reliability over the long-term over Audi any day.

I've read many sticker shock stories about R8 (Lamborghini) tranny repairs.

Back