• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX owner

Ion

Registered Member
Hi everyone. I’m new to the NSX world. I’ve wanted one since I saw them on showroom floors in the 90s as a kid. I’ve driven a wide variety of cars over the years as I love and respect all kinds of cars. Most recently switching from GTR platform. Happy to be in an NSX. Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more about both first and second gen NSX.

1683730128147.jpeg
34B468C4-5DBB-4AB5-AA44-51A3D77FBC8C.jpeg
D13CA479-437B-494A-B8D5-EE90B00EA9BC.jpeg
276CA3DC-8C1B-46D8-9EDB-C1EA2426CBDE.jpeg
0D0B67DF-D38B-4A0F-AF65-3941D0EB4FDC.jpeg
C72BDD64-3790-4E2D-86D4-1275A2D49569.jpeg
2966D3D3-4624-4208-AED7-0A4C9828A895.jpeg
42396AAB-37DC-4078-BE8C-0E65BD30BBB2.jpeg
439C0BC7-8462-4D10-86EC-2D8FFAC5FF7C.jpeg
DDC9D2B9-0050-4A48-81D2-CEFFFCEE7C7F.jpeg
A8BC5369-01D5-418F-80F0-F2F53B41CCCF.jpeg

And a couple of my old full bolt on GTR. Modification will commence on the NSX once I sell all my old GTR parts.
F45DF6A5-E978-4DFF-B54A-B0F2C6F16DA6.jpeg6FF74B28-B724-4B9F-B05A-04A40AA06A77.jpegC9E0FF06-9881-4DE6-8001-182A0AD20859.jpeg

Congratulations and enjoy it in the best of health
I see you have an early one, 206
Mine is 243
How many miles on it?

I wish they offered source in the S...congrats. You will enjoy the build quality and smoothness of the NC1, you may miss the modded GTR power..

Congrats on the NSX and welcome to Prime!

I also went from NSX to R35 (modded with ecutek) and now back to NSX. But, I went back to the NA1. :)

congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club.. I am truly curious to learn your likes and dislikes and direct comparison to the gtr and nsx.. I always admired the grr from afar and still one day may add to the stable.. safe driving

Beautiful car. Welcome

I only ever got to drive the GTR as a rental for a weekend (Thanks Hertz in Tampa...why they had a GTR, no idea) but it was a beast of a car. At the time the brakes were the thing that actually impressed me the most. I'm sure it's pretty standard on supercars now but I did a 0-100-0 run and the 0-100 gave me a headache for the rest of the day.

But you could also really feel the weight of the car, even though it handled far beyond it's weight class. I can imagine the NC1 feels very different behind the wheel. Would love a comparison write up once you settle in.

Also, welcome to the forums!

I wish they offered source in the S...congrats. You will enjoy the build quality and smoothness of the NC1, you may miss the modded GTR power..

Thank you. Any silver would be a breath of fresh air after the labor of love that is a black car. The source silver however has a nice depth and extreme variance with light that really accentuates the body lines.

congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club.. I am truly curious to learn your likes and dislikes and direct comparison to the gtr and nsx.. I always admired the grr from afar and still one day may add to the stable.. safe driving

Stock vs stock, the NSX feels faster and smoother than the GTR. They have similar power to weight ratios but the NSX benefits greatly from the torque assist of the electric motors whereas the GTR has some turbo lag in stock form.

In general, the NSX is much quieter and smoother. The suspension on the NSX does a much better job soaking up road imperfections. The electric drive for the front wheels is very quiet and engine and transmission are both nestled compactly behind the driver. In quiet / sport mode, the NSX is an incredibly comfortable cruiser. The GTR has it's engine in the front and transmission in the rear for weight balance, so there is a drive shaft running from the front to the rear, and a second running back up to the front for the front wheels. With two drive shafts and a rattly bell housing the GTR is known to make a lot more mechanical noises, clunks and thunks that are usually concerning to new owners but its just par for the course. The GTR can really make it's way around the track in a hurry thanks to AWD and torque vectoring but there is no comparison to mid-engine feel on turn in due to the simple physics of having your mass centralized. I've also owned an S2000, a couple of Boxster S, a 911 S and a ZR1, The S2000 was incredible in the corners, the Boxsters even more so. The NSX feels like a Boxster in the corners but with more instant power on tap like the ZR1. The weight of the NSX does not show as it remains flat, has no lag and stops incredibly fast with the CCB and re-gen. It behaves like a much lighter car.

Where the GTR really shines is the aftermarket support. It's a tuners dream as their is virtually no limit on how fast you can make them other than the depth of your wallet. I'm still friendly with the local GTR club and I have a few friends making in the 12-1300 WHP range, a friend with a 1,700 WHP GTR and a few guys are even making north of 2k WHP. GTRs cleaned up this year at TX2K, besting even the underground racing twin turbo Lamborghinis. Bang for the buck, they are tough to beat if you want to go fast in a straight line or around a track. I really had no complaints with the platform other than just getting the itch to try something different after driving 2 of them over 6 years. The GTR community is great and I'm still friends with all the local GTR owners. The GTR was a tad more practical too if it were your only car as the trunk is much bigger and the back seats were nice for my two boys. I have a couple of Jeeps they love riding in too so this wasn't a deal breaker. I wish the NSX had back seats but so far my boys have been good about taking turns riding up front in a booster. I would consider having another GTR one day but perhaps in trade for one of my Jeeps so I can keep the NSX :).

As compared to my personal GTR stock NSX is a bit slower at the moment. I had basic bolt ons, injectors and tune on 93 octane gas so it was good for about a ~10.7 @ 130mph. If I would have added flex fuel kit and tune it would have run ~10.2 @ 135mph. With a mild turbo upgrade, stock engine and transmission I've seen another forum member run 9.6@144. Beyond that the sky is the limit but you need to build the engine and transmission and it gets expensive in a hurry (just ask droptopp). I think the NSX should be able to match or beat my old pump gas FBO GTR with a JB4, downpipes and exhaust but the NSX is reportedly faster still off of the line before the electric motors shut off (ruining 1/4 mile and 60-130 stats). This should be plenty fast for the street but it bugs me slightly that this is the ceiling at the moment. I know there is a lot more potential in this car but it will never receive huge aftermarket support due to limited sales numbers and market size. The new Ktuner full ECU tune is promising though. I inquired about being a beta tester but was told release is imminent. They are just finalizing packaging. Apparently a NSX with just Ktuner only (stock downpipes and exhaust) ran a 10.4X. With downpipes, exhaust, intercoolers and Ktuner, I'm hoping we see low 10s. Also, it would be amazing to get E85 flex fuel support or perhaps support for a mild turbo upgrade. It's a shame the ECU wasn't cracked until now. I feel like the NSX would have sold more if this had been achieved earlier as it opens up a lot of potential for the platform.

Overall, I am very impressed with the NSX. I wasn't even hunting for one and came across it by chance. I test drove a few 991 turbos, a GT4 and a gen 2 R8 V10 but it was the NSX I spotted on one of the dealer lots that won me over. The NSX styling looks much better in person and the driving dynamics have to be felt to be appreciated. It gets a lot of flack for being a hybrid but it is mostly from people who have never driven one. In my opinion, the hybrid tech really makes this car great. It's not like the NSX has an underpowered engine like the I8. The 500HP 3.5tt is plenty fast in its own right. The electric motors just fill in the power band to eliminate lag, improve handling and fuel economy. The only thing not to like is the price. I suspect if they had made a lower tier entry level NSX with just the ICE engine only and priced it in the lower six figure range, they could have kept the hybrid as a higher end model and the entry level model would have sold very well. I have not seen a bad review of the NC1 NSX by an automotive journalist. It really is a great car in spite of its poor sales figures. I think the high MSRP just held it back in a market where people are only looking at performance per $ unless you have strong brand recoginition. I believe eventually the market will appreciate for these misunderstood cars given the ultra low production numbers, timeless design and great driving characteristics but time will tell.

Last edited:
Nice write up and welcome to the club. I just got mine about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. It came fully modded which saved me some money since I would have done all the mods anyway. It is my DD and although I don’t drive it very far everyday I just love how pleasurable it is to drive and it really rips when you get on it. Gas mileage for me is only 13 mpg which is nowhere near what other people have achieved but I keep it in sport plus and shift it manually so maybe that’s why. I think you will enjoy more and more as you get more familiar with it.

Nice write up and welcome to the club. I just got mine about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. It came fully modded which saved me some money since I would have done all the mods anyway. It is my DD and although I don’t drive it very far everyday I just love how pleasurable it is to drive and it really rips when you get on it. Gas mileage for me is only 13 mpg which is nowhere near what other people have achieved but I keep it in sport plus and shift it manually so maybe that’s why. I think you will enjoy more and more as you get more familiar with it.
Nice find. I would have bought modded too but I was lucky just to find an NC1 locally I could put my eyes on. I cruise in sport / auto for smooth suspension and quiet ride but switch to sport plus / manual when I’m feeling rowdy. Wish I could be in sport plus with soft suspension. Getting 20-21mpg so far which is a big improvement for me. My Rubicon and prior GTR both averaged 12mpg. Didn’t buy the car for the gas mileage though, just a nice perk.

Expert point, the 12V battery is small. Driving the last 25 minutes plus or minus of your trip in Sport+ helps 12V battery life.

the write up went above and beyond.. I will still one day look for later gen of grr that was babied to purchase.. but my holy grail for now is a turbo s convertible 18" and up as that seems to check off every box.. owning a 23 Macan gts right now as daily that is tuned with Cobb accesport I share your sentiment with the increased attraction if the nsx ecu was cracked or easily flashed like the accessport jus plugging into obd and pushing couple of buttons and done and reversal is the same wakens up the Macan.. enjoy the new ride and uniqueness of nsx and the plenty of times when people ask what it is and you say Acura nsx and they shale there head ohh.. then you have to explain the reality of such an impressive piece of machinery.. but most improtantly enjoy your boys because no matter how fast the car is, the time with them goes faster!!!

the write up went above and beyond.. I will still one day look for later gen of grr that was babied to purchase.. but my holy grail for now is a turbo s convertible 18" and up as that seems to check off every box.. owning a 23 Macan gts right now as daily that is tuned with Cobb accesport I share your sentiment with the increased attraction if the nsx ecu was cracked or easily flashed like the accessport jus plugging into obd and pushing couple of buttons and done and reversal is the same wakens up the Macan.. enjoy the new ride and uniqueness of nsx and the plenty of times when people ask what it is and you say Acura nsx and they shale there head ohh.. then you have to explain the reality of such an impressive piece of machinery.. but most improtantly enjoy your boys because no matter how fast the car is, the time with them goes faster!!!

Thanks doc. Yes, I love the 911 turbos as well. This was at the top of my list. I test drove a few 991.1 TTS Coupes and Cabriolets. Based on my research, the 991.2 Turbo S (2017 and up) is a LOT more car for the money. It's not like the GTR that was mostly the same for all years. An early MY GTR can easily be made as fast as a 23' GTR. With the Porsche, there are significant differences in .2s with regard to fueling, turbos, intake plenum, infotainment etc and they respond much better to modifications. This is probably why the .1s sit on the market for so long and have a steeper depreciation curve. The .2 Turbo S in my area were mostly going in the $150-180K range. The only way I could swing that is if I sold my fully built rock crawling Jeep Rubicon along with my GTR. I contemplated this but my boys absolutely love Jeeping (more so than my old GTR). The NSX was closer in price to the 991.1 Turbo S's I was looking at but feels like a much better car for the money at this price point and certainly feels more unique and special. I feel like the NSX will hold its value better as well due to rarity and being discontinued. Down the road, I would certainly still consider getting a 991.2 TTS or 992 TTS as it does seem to check every box as you say. It's very easy to get the newer cars in to the 9s 1/4 range, they have back seats and you can pack enough luggage up front for a short weekend family getaway. For now, I'm really enjoying the NSX but who knows what the future holds.

Congratulations and welcome aboard, Ion!

A guy near me has a Source Silver 2017, and you are exactly right - the NC1 model wears this color extremely well.
Many happy miles n smiles.

Back