• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

100,000km on my 91

Hey all, I'm nearing the 100,000 km mark on my 91, and I am going to replace the timing belt on it... Any other things I should tell the Acura dealer to check/replace etc? How much would those things cost?

Thanks!

If you're going to replace the t-belt, consider replacing the water pump as well since he's already in there. Especially if it has never been replaced before.

I hit the 100,000 mark and some change like 60 miles. Then I move from California to Pennsylvania. I drove my x across the country. The car ran like a champ.:D

NSX-GT said:
Hey all, I'm nearing the 100,000 km mark on my 91, and I am going to replace the timing belt on it... Any other things I should tell the Acura dealer to check/replace etc? How much would those things cost?

Thanks!

Consider doing a valve adjustment as well, since its all open.

show1nsx said:
I hit the 100,000 mark and some change like 60 miles. Then I move from California to Pennsylvania. I drove my x across the country. The car ran like a champ.:D

Assuming you have done the, w/p timing belt thing though. I think he is concerned with what needs to be changed rather than how well his car is running currently. It can be running just fine and then BOOM . Not running fine.:(

There are different reasons for doing things at the same time as the timing belt.

I think the water pump makes sense, because water pumps do fail, and it's all the same labor as the timing belt. Replace the water pump now, so you don't have to do the labor all over again if the water pump fails.

I think it's also a good idea to replace all the cooling system hoses at this time. It doesn't save a lot of labor to do so, but I think it's an excellent preventive measure, and could keep you from getting stranded somewhere if one of the hoses ruptures. There is no specified replacement interval in the maintenance schedule, but there should be. I think it's a good idea to do them at the same time as the TB/WP because it's a good interval (for the same reasons - rubber parts deteriorate over time and mileage) and it's a good memory jogger as well.

I asked my dealer... turns out the water pump is pretty expensive!

Newbie question, what does the water pump do? And what risks do I take if I choose to save money over replacing it?

NSX-GT said:
I asked my dealer... turns out the water pump is pretty expensive!

Newbie question, what does the water pump do? And what risks do I take if I choose to save money over replacing it?

The cost of a new water pump should run about $400-$500 with the cover and tensioner. The water pump does just what it sounds like it does. It pumps the coolant throughout the cooling system from the engine to the radiator. The coolant absorbs the heat generated by the engine and then it gets cooled through the air passing over it in the radiator which is mounted up front.

If the pump goes bad and starts leaking or stops pumping, you will have an overheating problem which can lead to warped heads or even worse, catastrophic engine failure. There is no extra labor involved in changing the pump when doing thebelts. but if you need to replace it afterwards, it will cost you another few hundred to thousand dollars again. So why not do it once and have the peace of mind that it is good.

It's your car and your risk. Whateverakes you feel comfortable is what it comes down to.

Dr.Lane said:
The cost of a new water pump should run about $400-$500 with the cover and tensioner.

That sounds somewhat high to me. The water pump alone (without the cover or tensioner) is only $180.80 at A&H.

Timing Belt / Service/Cost

I Purchased a 1991 black/black, Automatic on 07/10/03 with 51,750 miles on it.
I took it to Brookfield Acura in Wisconsin on Tuesday July 15th for Timing belt/water pump/60,000 mile service. Total Bill came to $2428.49 included
Timing Belt,water pump,valve cover gaskets($1062.00),valve adjustments, alternator belt, compressor belt, engine coolant, ABS brake flush and fill, engine oil change with filter, transmission oil change, air cleaner, spark plugs, check coolant hoses(already been replaced), spool valve gasket replacement, spool valve filter,($760.00) replaced rear brake pads and resurface rear rotors,($260.00) 4 wheel alignment,($64.00) check idle surging problem(carbon build up, intake/egr)($60.00) (Misc.Charge $40.00)(Tax$118.81) Car wash.
3 days free loaner car 2003 Acura 3.2TL .Delivered NSX at 4:00 p.m. on the 15th picked it up at 2:00p.m. on the 18th
Thank You Brookfield Acura Wswen

Back