• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$1000 Weather stripping

My 05 has a leak around the targa right at the front left corner. The dealer decided it needed a new gasket there. I couldn't beleive the cost the gasket was 968.00 :eek: and the labor to install it was 350.00. Thank goodness it was a warrantee item. Now I just hope they know how to install it properly:rolleyes:. I'm not interested in it failing after it goes out of warrantee.
Tony

I'm worried whats going to happen when they are no longer available and we all start having issues with the rubber breaking down.
Its rubber, it will deteriorate over the years.

Wake up call to everyone. Maintain it best you can.
Treat it every year!!!

This is correct, as it is a complete one piece unit that goes around the driver's door, over the targa, and around the passenger door.

I'm worried whats going to happen when they are no longer available and we all start having issues with the rubber breaking down.
Its rubber, it will deteriorate over the years.

Wake up call to everyone. Maintain it best you can.
Treat it every year!!!

I treat mine every time I wash the car with lexol. Don't know if it's the right stuff to use, but seems like it's been working pretty good.

$1400! That is as much as a basic snap ring repair.

I can see it now:

Wanted 95 or newer NSX-T. Show proof of targa gasket repair for consideration.

:eek:

Thanks for sharing.
I will add this to my ritual when cleaning the car.
Any other products you guys can recommend?

I believe the Honda recommended thing to use is called "Shin-Etsu grease". I have some and was able to source it through the dealer. Someone can do a search and post a part number, unfortunately I can't right this moment.

Insanity, especially if this part continually fails. I might replace it once but if it ever needed another one i would sell the car before i made a habit of spending $1,000 every 3 years on a rubber gasket. Either that or i would simply stop driving the car in wet conditions.

Knowing this, i am now glad i own a coupe.:biggrin:

Anyone know the price of the ones that go around the driver and passenger doors? My passenger side makes a whistling noise even with the windows all the way up. I have a feeling it might be the rubber seals needing to be replaced.

Anyone know the price of the ones that go around the driver and passenger doors? My passenger side makes a whistling noise even with the windows all the way up. I have a feeling it might be the rubber seals needing to be replaced.

You should try a window adjustment first, it is more likely the cause of the noise than a bad gasket. Especially if you or someone else has been inside the doors before.

I believe the Honda recommended thing to use is called "Shin-Etsu grease". I have some and was able to source it through the dealer. Someone can do a search and post a part number, unfortunately I can't right this moment.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Shin-Etsu-Grease__08798-9013.aspx

I think this is what you are referring to.
Please confirm so I can make the order.
Thanks

Here is another source for Shin-Etsu-Grease:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-04.html

My understanding from the dealer is that it is all one piece. Read my post above.

Last edited:
And if your looking at replacing the rear Targa seal that's another $780.00!

I've looked into it as mine has small tear ... I'll live with the smal, tear.

I don't know about replacing it every three years. My 95 worked great with no leaks. I never had to replace the gasket. Just sold the car recently when I got my 05. 13 years no leaks. I did keep it clean and used a weather stripping lube i got at the auto store. Nothing glamorous just the over the counter rubber lube.

Noticed that all these posts are dated and tried to start a new one on seals that hasn't been posted yet. Any one having difficulty? I noticed both seals on my car were cracked and split. Thinking of using some of the foam gasket that is a driveway filler in 1/4" size inside. Anyone got any ideas on other than OEM or is there another solution. Could use some experienced views. Thanks in advance, guys
Don

+2 on the 303. I use it on all black plastic, vinyl and rubber on my NSX and have managed to keep the seals alive. I also put it on my seats every 6 months over a nice soak of Lexol.
I've used and loved Lexol for over 10 years. However leatherique's leather cleaner and conditioner is AMAZING and blows lexol out of the water. It's a pain to properly do (POUR the oil in your seat and massage your seats thoroughly and let sit in the hot sun for a day and add oil when the leather soaks it up, and repeat if you're crazy). It'll completely transform the leather. My 99 M3 has sat in the sun for years and the leather on the top of the rear seats turned into cardboard. Now they are so soft and supple -it's amazing. A Must-do if you care about your car!

I've used Leatherique myself and i find it rather unpleasant smelling, especially in close confines like a two seater car. You have to really apply a heavy coat to achieve any long term benefit and it has no UV protection.
I really like the Zaino leather products, the finished seats smell like new leather and it takes far less product to do the entire interior. It's cheaper than Leatherique and has the added bonus of a UV protectant.

Leatherique isn't that bad, and the key is to get the right oils and nutrients into the leather itself. I was amazed how it turned shrunk, stiff leather that was rock hard and cracking into soft, malleable, and plush leather once again. After the process is done and the leather fibers are soft again, you want to protect the leather with your choice of UV protectants. Different products and different benefits.

Back