• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

12,000 mile SoS Supercharger update

Hello all,
This is an update of my Science of Speed installed SoS Supercharger at the 12,000 mile recommended oil change.
I am running 380hp at about 6lbs boost. My NSX is a 1994 Coupe.

My setup is:
Science of Speed Supercharger system
AEM EMS 2
Science of Speed Advanced headers
AEM UEGO Wideband O2 sensors
High Flow Cats
ARK DT-X Exhaust
Science of Speed 350 Sport Clutch & flywheel
Stock Air Box with Downforce Air Intake Scoop
AEM boost Gauge
AEM Air/Fuel Gauge
SoS Short Shift Kit

I had my Supercharger installed by SoS in May 2012.
Since then I have driven just over 12,000 miles with the SC. This includes track days, and about 5,000 highway miles with runs up to 150 MPH.
I drive my NSX nearly every day, or at least every other day. Stop N go traffic and just crusin'. I hit the highway nearly every weekend for Cars and Coffee.
This is by no means a garage queen. I drive fast and hard (with respect for other motorists (behind me of course!:biggrin:)
I currently have 130,000+ miles on the odometer. I have also driven (very few times) In rain, snow, dust storms, and down dirt roads.

After my install with SoS, I drove it home to Santa Fe, NM. About 480 miles with no issues.
Since my altitude is 7000 ft, I had to get it re-tuned locally.
My HP from Phoenix was 360 rwhp, and my torque was 256 ft-lbs.
With the tune at altitude from MOTIVA PERFORMANCE in Albuquerque, NM my HP is now 380 rwhp and my torque is at 280 ft-lbs.....Much better.

I have had absolutely no trouble of any kind with my supercharger, sport clutch (ACURA installed), or with any of the other parts in the setup.
Everything is running just as perfect as the day it was installed. Clean setup, looks great, sounds AWESOME and the linear power is great and stays strong all the way up to REDLINE:cool::biggrin:.
I do not have emission standards to adhere to here in Santa Fe so I can't answer any questions about that... Nice!

I absolutely LOVE it! I would certainly recommend it (or the Twin Turbo Setup!) Both for the reliability and driver friendly ease of use.
I am looking forward to another 12,000mi, Maybe a stage1 build??? Dunno, I'm really happy with the power I have now.
Thanks to Science of Speed, MOTIVA and my local NSX friends that have helped me along the way!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Here are pics, I couldn't get a decent scan of my dyno sheet, so I had to take a pic:rolleyes:.
=DREW=
DSCN1033.jpgDSCN1512.jpg

Thanks Drew for the write up.

I would like to ask if you notice any increase in heat from the engine (heatsoak) or just coolant temps. Mainly from track days.
Does it run consistently power wise lap after lap, session after session?

And no additional cooling systems right?

Thanks

Last edited:

I would like to ask if you notice any increase in heat from the engine (heatsoak) or just coolant temps. Mainly from track days.

Thanks

+1 for the questions on heat soak. Recently had an Autorotor CTSC installed and although I've had no issues with it, I would like to learn from others with a similar setup.

Sounds awesome, but I thought the SOS SC was closer to 10lbs and not 6.

Oh how I wish I could afford an SOS supercharger :frown:

Thanks

No twin screw charger in top of the motor will run "consistently" lap after lap. Especially without an intercooler. The intercooler will delay the heat soak but eventually, that too will not be able to keep up. On the street this is not much of an issue. And frankly the car is still much faster on the track even heat soaked than NA. If you are doing wheel to wheel racing on the track, then I think you want to go turbo. But that has all it's own set of drawbacks too. It's just a matter of what you want.

Last edited:
I love my SOS SC + Intercooler setup.

Making 450rwhp and 300rwtq on Costco gas.

With 285 extreme rated rear tires the car just hooks from a roll as I it's AWD and just goes outta the hole.

It accelerates so fast that I find myself being the limiting factor in matching shift speeds to what the car is capable of.

Right now I'm having issues with what I think was fuel separation from 6 months of storage.

Thanks for the long term follow up review Drew, we appreciate it!

Sounds awesome, but I thought the SOS SC was closer to 10lbs and not 6.

Usually around 8.5-9 PSI at or near sea level. Drew is at 7,000 ft with decreased air density.

+1 on SOS SC

I have about 1500mi on mine and love the extra kick. Also, my last tank was over 22mpg--and I got into boost many times on that. I'm driving my NSX almost every day now.

Wow, you guys answered my questions before I got out of work:redface:.

No, I'm not running an intercooler and I'm using the regular pulley.

I double checked with my local tuner and with SoS and I am @ 6lbs.
Makes me wonder if it would be safe to run a high boost pulley for higher gains?......:confused: Chris? Waddaya think? Watch the heads!!!!!!:rolleyes:

As for my track days, we are just lapping for fun, not racing.
I run four laps and three to four sessions at about twenty minutes apart on a 1.7 mile road course that has 14 turns and a 1200' straight.
Obviously the car gets HOT, but i haven't noticed anything concerning, and my water temp gauge remains at normal.
There is a 2001 NSX with the same setup as mine who joins me on the track. He has not mentioned any problems either.
We find it nicer to get to the track in the morning before it is scorching hot for us humans.

Thanks for the interest on this topic, I am still learning about this stuff myself.
=DREW=

Last edited:
Heat soak is related to the air intake temps, not your coolant temperature. And you won't notice anything wrong, you just lose power.

I would think you can run more boost but if you want that extra margin of safety leave it alone. Good to see someone running it on a track.

Heat soak is related to the air intake temps, not your coolant temperature. And you won't notice anything wrong, you just lose power.

I would think you can run more boost but if you want that extra margin of safety leave it alone. Good to see someone running it on a track.
The only potential issue I see is that to run more boost he'd have to go with a smaller pulley due to his low ambient air pressure. Smaller pulley means higher SC rpms. So I wonder what bump in shaft speed is needed to get him to 9lbs. The shaft speed would have to rise exponentially due to low air pressure to create the higher boost.

I think it can be done :)

- - - Updated - - -

At 6lbs I wonder how much heat is generated. Not as much as 9lbs for sure. Though when it heat soaks his AEM EMS tune should compensate (pull back timing or run it rich or both) to keep detonation at bay. Hopefully it's tuned to listen to knock or compensate based on IAT? I don't know... If there's no compensation I would think it might get a bit more worrisome. How much? It'll be less of a worry if he's running race gas if he's normally tuned on 91.

That blower can handle a lot more than 9 psi so I wouldn't worry about the screw speed. Your second point would concern me more. Your car is always as safe as your tuner tunes it. People usually ask for the most power, and the tuner has an incentive to make the most... makes him look better... but you know it is a fine line between the most power and lean... sometimes you just have to convey to the guy your priority is safety and reliability and not power.

That blower can handle a lot more than 9 psi so I wouldn't worry about the screw speed. Your second point would concern me more. Your car is always as safe as your tuner tunes it. People usually ask for the most power, and the tuner has an incentive to make the most... makes him look better... but you know it is a fine line between the most power and lean... sometimes you just have to convey to the guy your priority is safety and reliability and not power.
My point is that to get 6psi at his altitude he has to spin the shaft at a speed that can build 9lbs of boost at our altitude. So to get 9lbs at his altitude how much faster does it need to go? When air is thinner (if I remember high school physics correctly) it needs to spin exponentially faster to build each additional psi of boost.

Can he do it..? probably!

- - - Updated - - -

splitting hairs.. :) long day .... trying to think of something else but work lol

Last edited:
Our air density varies on temperature. Albuqurque is at 5000 feet but our DA is normally around 7000 feet and can go to 10k+. I am running the SOS twin turbo that in Phoenix ran 8psi. In Albquerque I am 1 5psi and when I go to 4psi. This is why we went to FI. When my car was stock and I went to Phoenix it was like driving a different car. I remember going to Ohio for EXPO and the car was crazy fast compared to home. Our cars now have the performance implants to compensate for our thin air. But what beautiful thin air we have.

Now I will have to add elevation to my list of concerns on where to live. LOL

I hate it when I do not proof read before posting. The 4 psi I was talking about was when I go to Santa Fe. The DA there is normally around 8-9k. All autos suffer for this. But the SOS kits our a wonderful compensator. I have driven Drews car and I can say that the SC makes it a very fast car even in altitude.

I could probably use a smaller pulley and gain more HP at more boost on my current setup. The guys at SoS and MOTIVA have tuned it for the most I can get for my engine SAFELY.
I don't want to blow anything up! We with the 3.0L have pretty thin heads as I'm told. The blower can handle it, but can our heads?

My IAT is around 200+:eek: (I Know!). Some people are HOLY COW!!!!! about it and others are "That's Nothing for Concern" or" that's normal".

The things I'm looking At for more HP IS an intercooler for about a 10% gain... OR an SoS Stage ONE build for more than I need HP!!!
With the stage one build I would get:

• Science of Speed forged low compression piston set (pistons, rings, locks, & pins) with Xylan skirt coating
  • MLS head gasket set
  • ARP head stud set
  • complete new genuine factory cylinder head seal set, cylinder block seal set, bearing set, & timing belt
Plus the services they would provide with the build would be more peace of mind. Has anyone here had this done to their NSX to provide me with feedback on the engine performance?

Not a huge concern at the very moment. Like I said I drive hard and fast for the fun of it, but I don't beat the shit out of my car, I want it to last.
It's a HONDA and it can take it and last for ever!

I am not sure about the loss of power at the track, I haven't really noticed. I'll pay close attention at the next open track day and let you guys know.
I always run a warm-up lap, three-four hot laps, and a cool down lap.
After I park it I open the hatch and talk with friends til the next run. Is 15-20 min a sufficient amount of time to let the engine cool?
=DREW=

- - - Updated - - -

Now I will have to add elevation to my list of concerns on where to live. LOL
YUP! High altitude is pretty, but can suck too! :)

I think if you are happy with it at 6lbs leave it alone and enjoy it.

If you are at 200 degrees intake temps I do not think you should increase boost. Like Dave said, leave it alone and enjoy it.

Back