• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/18 Advan wheel help please...

I'm considering purchasing Advan Model 5 wheels and would like to get some input/advice from those that have or have had these wheels.

I've searched the forum, but I can't seem to find the offset information I need for the setup I am planning on using.

Here is what I am planning on doing:

F 17 x 8 w/ 215/40-17
R 18 x 10 w/ 275/35-18

I believe this tire setup will give me almost the exact front/rear ratio as the stock 93 (205/50-15 & 225/50-16), with both front and rear being ~3% larger in diameter than stock

The car has stock brakes, body, and will be lowered ~1".

I want to make sure I get the right offset for this setup (so that the wheels sit flush with the body) without having to use spacers etc. In the rim widths I'm looking for, I have a choice of offsets (30/38/45 in the front and 19/45).

Searching the threads, I believe +45 is the correct offset for the rear in the 18 x 10 sizing. I'm not sure about the front.

If you have Advan Model 5 wheels, please let me know your

-rim widths
-offset
-what tire sizes you are using for a 17/18 setup
-sizing for (aluminum) hubrings if you are using them

....and if you have pics, please post those as well. I'm also curious to know if anyone is using a BBK with these wheels.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I think the fronts should also be 45. I know for the 18/19 setup it's 45 all around for stock body nsx.

Hi Jay,

We've obviously been trading PMs for some time, but I wanted to post for the benefit of other Prime members. Tom from RP-Motorsports recommended the following for my stock 1997 NSX:

F: 17x8 +38 mm
R: 18x10 +45 mm (add 5 mm spacers to rear if car is lowered)

I plan on using the following tire sizes:

F: 215/40-17
R: 265/35-18 (although I think 275/35-18 works as well)

Yokohama Advan wheel is so sexy. That will look great with your car, especially the setup you will think of buying, 17 front and 18 rear is the way to go. Goodluck.

I have 17x8, 18x9, with 215/40 and 265/35 tires. I think this is considered a more conversative setup. I have it lowered on Eibach/Bilstein, and no spacers, with OEM brake setup. No rubbing issues.
Sorry I don't have the offset info.

I don't mind getting different rim widths as this will open up some options with respect to the offset available.

Here is what is available:

17 x 7.0 35/40/45/50
17 x 8.0 30/38/45
18 x 9.0 10/20/35/40/45
18 x 10.0 19/45

As long as the wheels sit flush with the body without having to use spacers, I'll be happy...

This car is running a +45mm offset front/back with a 18x8F and 18x10R setup

attachment.php

attachment.php

With a 17x8 +38mm offset in the front, the fronts would extend out 7mm from what is pictured...I think the fronts would be perfect in an 8" wheel with a +38mm offset...

From the pics above, I think the rears look ok, but it wouldn't hurt if it came out just a bit. To do this, the options are as follows:

10" wheel +19 offset -->extend the rears out 26mm from the pics above
9" wheel +10 offset --> extend the rears out 22mm from the pics above
9" wheel + 20 -->extend the rears out 12mm from the pics above

Will any of these rim widths/offsets cause other problems (i.e. clearing calipers etc)?

I have Model 5 Advans and love em'

I looks like you are doing your homework.

Front: 17x8 +45 215/40/17
Rear: 18x10 +45 285/30/18

215/40 = profile of 86mm
285/30 = profile of 85.5mm

The front +38mm offset if you plan on bigger brakes in the future. The +45mm wont fit Brembo brakes or something like that.

You will need hubcentric rings to center these wheels or you will never be able to balance them on the car. I only found plastic ones (which work fine). I dont remember the sizes but Gruppe-S is where I purchased my wheels and they sent me to the right guy. If you find aluminum ones let me know.

The rear tires do NOT stick out at the 285/30/18 size. I am quite happy with the size and fit.

As far as the fronts, it will be hard to find a 225/35 tire, which is the perfect size. I think you made a calculation error when you said 225/50. I understand as I crunched the numbers as well. When you search you will find 235/35 or 215/40. Go with the 215 as the 235 can rub when you turn the wheel all the way.

Choose nice tires as well. When the sidewall gets this small you really need a great tire. If you choose to save a few hundred dollars you may have a hard time with vibration. (Many may argue this point but I am extremely agitated by the smallest vibration) I chose Bridgestone S-03 and they are the best.

I paid $2400.00 + shipping in the USA for my Model 5 in dark chrome. ($2000.00 in silver) but that was a couple years ago.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Jason...thanks for your reply.

225/50 was my stock rear...I based my tire calcs off of my stock 93 setup...

Tire Size Tire Diameter % difference from stock
205/50-15 23.07 0.00%
225/50-16 24.858 0.00%

205/40-17 23.456 1.67%
215/40-17 23.771 3.04% <--
265/35-18 25.303 1.79%
275/35-18 25.578 2.90% <--
285/35-18 25.854 4.01%

I have read about the possibility of rubbing with anything bigger than 215/40 in the front...

Unfortunately, the S-03's are discontinued :( ... Eagle GSD3's are my top consideration at this point.

Do you have the measurements for the hubrings? I'll let you know what I find...

Can you post some pics?

Last edited:
The bronze Model 5 I had were 18X8 front +45 and 18X10 +45. If I recall, the rear was almost flush wih the rear, but still tucked in just a little. In relation my another set I had was a 19X10 +41 and that was about perfectly flush with the outer fender lip. The front 18X8+45 tucked in and probably could have used a 10MM spacer to be flush. I would say the 18X8 +38 might be just about perfect.

Chris

Advan Model 5

Rear: 285/30/18 +45 18x10
Front: 215/40/17 +45 17x8

Advan height:
Rear: 621mm (24.84")
Front: 597mm (23.88")

1991 Stock:
Rear: 625mm (25")
Front: 580mm (23.2")

Edit: Sorry my measurements are a bit off as I used 25mm = 1 inch and it should be 25.4mm = 1 inch (just to clarify, sorry for confusion, Jay's numbers are correct)

1991 NSX with Advan Model 5 in dark chrome.

Hubcentric rings are needed.

Stock brakes.

Car is lowered 1.25"

Hope this helps,
Jason

Attachments

• 215-40-17.jpg
    215-40-17.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 285-30-18.jpg
    285-30-18.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 203
  • nsxAdvan.jpg
    nsxAdvan.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Here is what I'm going with..

F 17 x 8 +38mm
R 18 x 10 +45mm

I'm unable to get the hub measurements for this wheel though (Distributor doesn't have it :confused: ).

Can someone tell me the measurements of the hub rings needed with these wheels?

Thanks.

just double-checked, wheels are snug-tight on hub!?!

As per our previous convo' in pm-land...

My Yokohama ADVAN AVS Model 5's in gunmetal, acquired through www.Gruppe-S.com:

{F} 17x7 / 35mm / 215-40-17
{R} 17x9 / 40mm / 255-40-17

No spacers.

No hubrings... :eek: (see post above!?!) :confused:

I'll post pics later this evening, the NSX is a bit unkept as we speak... :redface:

If you're getting 17"/18" wheels, for all purposes - best handling, best acceleration, proper functioning of the TCS, tire availability, avoiding rubbing, etc - you are MUCH better off with the following sizes:

F: 215/40-17 on a 17x7.5 wheel
R: 265/35-18 on an 18x9 wheel

Osiris-

The front hubcentric rings are very thin but the rears are kinda thick. I am surprised if you are not experiencing vibration as the wheels are centered on the hub and not by the lug nuts.

If you are really careful and center them by hand as best you can you will get 90% of the vibration out. Do you experience any vibration? especially ini the seat? If so, hubcentric rings will eliminate it.

Jaosn

nsx.jpgHi everybody,

I bought a set of gunmetal advan model 5's last year from another prime member. He said they didn't rub on his Nsx, but I'm having a few issues. At first my mechanic said they were bent which would explain the vibration so we sent them off to get repaired. After fixing them, getting an alignment, the steering wheel still shakes but it is better. I asked him again about the vibration but he said they are just too wide and to sell them. No way I'm doing that, it took me 5 years to find a good set! I'm not going back to him ever again because I've had many other issues with him and he is not knowledgeable even though everyone with high end cars goes to him (roselli's foreign car). I also have a problem with them rubbing against the car when I take a turn semi aggressively(not even that hard).

The wheels are 17x8+30 and 18x10+19. They have fairly new Falken Ziex 912 tires all around in 215/40-17 and 255/35-18. I have bilstein shocks on lower perch with oem springs, stock brakes 1995 targa. The tires look pretty stretched on the car, they are the originals that I bought the rims with.

So it seems like getting hubcentric rings will solve my vibration problem hopefully, but how do I solve the rubbing issue?

Where can I get hubcentric rings?

Will that fix my problem or do I need to get spacers as well?

I feel like the car only vibrates and rubs in the front.

Thanks for the help in advan(ce)!

Last edited:
Where do they rub? Front or back? Look at your fender liner. I'm guessing it's the outside top of the front wheel; if so, you definitely don't want spacers. Not much you can do other than machine the mounting surface of the wheels to increase the offset.

As for the vibration, did you try loosening the lug nuts (with the car lifted up) and tightening very carefully through the sequence, gradually increasing the torque as you get to the ultimate value? That's about as good as centering rings, just a lot more tedious.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where they rub. I need to check. Do people machine their rims when they have this problem?

I think I'll just get hub rings for the vibration problem. Does anyone know what size I need to get for the model 5's?

thanks,

Hubcentric rings only help when mounting the wheels on the hub - typically they won't help with vibration issue. If you are certain the wheels were properly repaired, I would instead suggest getting the wheels rebalanced at a reputable tire shop. I had mine rebalanced after I noticed a vibration around 70MPH, solved the problem.

And RE: spacers - they would push your wheels farther out into the wheel well and reduce what little clearance you already have - do not get them. Your wheel specs are very aggressive for your ride height which I'm sure is causing your rubbing issues. If you're not willing to give up those wheels, you will either need to realign the car to add more negative camber or lower the car via suspension upgrades which will increase negative camber by default to solve your rubbing issues.

- - - Updated - - -

You could also remove the fender liners to gain more clearance but I've never been a big fan of that, especially on a car with aluminum panels.

Hubcentric rings only help when mounting the wheels on the hub - typically they won't help with vibration issue.

Hubcentric rings ensure that the wheel is EXACTLY centered on the hub, hence the name. They also add surface area to distribute the torque of the wheels against the hub when cornering aggressively. Without them, you're depending on the lugs seating perfectly and having been installed correctly to avoid vibration (which is what jwmelvin said). That said, I have two sets of wheels track wheels for my Track Rat Miata. One set the bore is made for the car, the other not. I use R-compound tires on both and really stress the wheel and hub on the track, and we've not had any problems with either set. Maybe we're playing with fire on the wheels that are not hubcentric. But . . . .

I'd still get the rings. Center bore...NSX is 70mm front and 64mm rear. (Thanks to a previous thread of mine where Primer M-P provided these figures! Thx, M-P). You'd need to find out the center bore of the Advans to get the right rings.

eBay has rings. Aluminum preferred but hard to find, poly work OK. Local custom wheel shops should also have them. You just need to know the bore of the car and the bore of the wheels to buy the right ones.

I just bought some from SOS per GlowNSX reccomendation. We will see if it takes the vibration away. They are aluminum if anyone is looking for a set contact SOS.

I just bought some from SOS per GlowNSX reccomendation. We will see if it takes the vibration away. They are aluminum if anyone is looking for a set contact SOS.

Hub rings don't remove vibration. What lug nuts are you using? If your running aftermarket wheels with OEM lugnuts, thats very likely your vibration. Correct lugnuts is vital.

Back