• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18" racing hart m5

I'm looking into buying a red '91 with 18" Racing Hart M5's all around, 18x8.5 fronts, 18x10 rears. Tire sizes are 225/35/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears. I'd like to lower the car with Eibach. My question is do you think the fronts will rub? Anyone has the same or similar setup in their car? Thanks.

They will definitely rub, so I recommend you trade the Racing Hart M5 for my chromed 91 OEM's. Hell, I will even kick in a few bucks too! ;)

rogerm said:
I'm looking into buying a red '91 with 18" Racing Hart M5's all around, 18x8.5 fronts, 18x10 rears. Tire sizes are 225/35/18 fronts and 275/35/18 rears. I'd like to lower the car with Eibach. My question is do you think the fronts will rub? Anyone has the same or similar setup in their car? Thanks.

rogerm,

Take a look at Len's NSX (pic of the month).

The fronts wont necessarily rub, with my car it depends on the tire I am running and how "squared off" the sidewall is, I have the eibach's and with an S02 in the front I never had rubbing problems, once I switched to an AVS Sport I rub making U-Turns.....

rogerm said:

Don't forget that you'll be in trouble if your car gets a flat. You won't be able to fit the tire in your trunk. The trunk has just enough space and is shaped specifically to hold one OEM tire. You'd probably have to put the flat tire in the passenger seat, which would be really hairy if you already had a passenger sitting there. :)

Plus, the collapsible spare probably won't have the same rolling diameter as the rest of the wheels, so you shouldn't mount it.

Just a couple of things to think about.

You should also check to see if the owner of the 91 has the collapsible spare tire at all. If not, and you don't intend to use it either, then you're okay.

-CiaoBoy

Ciaoboy,

Hmm...interesting, good points from everyone. Ciaboy you sound like you've seen the car in person or something. ;) This is a question of function versus image. Which is more important? So far I think I'm leaning more towards the image thing, can't help it. I'm a victim of my environment. If I get a flat, at least I go flat in "style". :)

rogerm said:
Ciaoboy,

Hmm...interesting, good points from everyone. Ciaboy you sound like you've seen the car in person or something. ;) This is a question of function versus image. Which is more important? So far I think I'm leaning more towards the image thing, can't help it. I'm a victim of my environment. If I get a flat, at least I go flat in "style". :)

You are too vain, Roger! ;)

-CiaoBoy

I have 18x8.5's upfront with +45mm offset and 225-35/18 Toyos T1-S with no rubbing on my lowered car. Not even at full lock. But I have cut out part of the fender liner closest to the firewall (footwell).

As for getting a flat tire. You might want to keep a tire repair kit (plug type) in the glove box.

I've got a similar 18" around setup wit exact same tire sizes. No rubbing issues yet. (Havent made any u-turns) All i can say is that 225/35/18 on the front SKIIIIINNNNEEEEE. its looks to be about 2/3 the profile of 275/35/18. Very thin. Must be very carefull. So-3's

i would caution you on 18in fronts, i am running HRE 542's 18in front and rear, and the fronts are terribly prone to pot hole damage, i have had 2 incidents in the 1 month that i have had the wheels, both causing enough damage to have to repair the outer rims, i am running 225/35/18 S03's and they are very skinny.

are you selling

mikescg said:
i would caution you on 18in fronts, i am running HRE 542's 18in front and rear, and the fronts are terribly prone to pot hole damage, i have had 2 incidents in the 1 month that i have had the wheels, both causing enough damage to have to repair the outer rims, i am running 225/35/18 S03's and they are very skinny.

I can swear I see your car on E-Bay, is this why you're selling? What gives, the car looks gorgeous, you've barely driven it, and WTF? Best of luck no matter what, it's gorgeous!:confused:

actually the problems that i have had with the rims was the impetus behind putting it up on ebay, i have since had a slight change of heart, but i'm keeping it up there just in case it does some crazy figure, if it does, i'll by another new one and start over, no mods this time though! lesson learned.

I hear you mike. I had the same feelings. Been trying to buy rims since January, got mine last week. Not worth it. Eventually just got the HRE 445r's 18" all around knowing that I would get them. Tried so many others just ended up waiting and not getting anything. Unrealistic dealer promises and subsequent headaches, led me to get the HRE despite them not having a 17' front. Just gotta be carefull now. Sorry had to vent.

Back