• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1990 Prelude Si Clutch issues... opinions?

I have a 1990 Prelude Si w/180k miles on it. Last night I got in my car to leave work and the clutch pedal wasn't travelling all the way and would not engage the clutch. I pulled on it and it snapped up and I drove away. This has never happened before, so I thought it was just a fluke. This morning I backed out of my driveway and it would not COME OUT of gear and I couldn't stop backing up (very scary!) I had to trun the car off. That did the trick, but half way to work it just stopped working all together. No more clutch! Press down on it and it "snaps" to the floor. Pulling on the pedal "snaps" it back up into position, but obviously does not do anything. I've had it towed to a mechanic.

My question is this (if anyone has prior experience with something like this): what possibly happened?? I know it's got a lot of miles on it, but the clutch has always been strong, no slipping, etc. I don't want the shop "screwing" me and saying I need "everything" when it could be something as simple as a cable. They said it could be hydraulic issues, but I don't even know if it's an hydraulic clutch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Back