• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 auto - no click, no crank

First thing came to mind is a loose battery connection or loose ground connection. On battery post or on the other end of the battery post attching to the chassis.

Sorry, cant be more help. Never had to clean ou the ignition switch before. Have you try wiggling the key while cranking?

just order this and be done:

35130-SL0-003
Switch, Steering

$76.48
$55.07

replaced mine twice In 14 yrs.
lots of voltage going through this switch. hot enough to melt the solder. happened to both of mine.
takes no time at all to change out and you'll be good to go.

rog

1994 automatic

Given your description of the symptoms, particularly if the headlights stay nice and bright when switched on, the very first thing I would check is the stopper for the clutch interlock switch. A tell tale would be finding little chunks of plastic on the driver's floor mat indicating that the stopper has broken and fallen out of place. I could provide more detail; but, if you use the search function on Prime with the terms 'clutch switch', clutch interlock, clutch switch button' you will get a whole bunch of hits giving you all the gory details. Replacement part costs about $4; but, involves a whole lot of agony to replace it.

Hot tip, if you have one of these or can borrow one and you know how to use it on the NSX you can use it to start the engine when the interlock button drops out.

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-T...ocphy=9001253&hvtargid=pla-492378908368&psc=1

It could also be the ignition switch; but, a failing ignition switch typically gives you some advance warning with flakey operation before it completely quits. The clutch switch button gives no advance warning. Works fine one minute, dead the next. There are other things that can cause the no crank problem; but, they are all more complicated and rare.

I think the car has an automatic transmission.

ah! - missed that in the title.

Automatics are tough because their relative rarity in North America means that the common failure cause database is not well developed. There is an interlock switch on the auto shift lever that serves the same function as the clutch switch so I might start there. Given the age of the car, it is also possible that the starter motor has failed; however, they also usually give some advance warning before completely checking out. The easy way to check the starter motor is to try and force cranking using the previously identified remote starter switch. If the starter cranks using the remote switch then the problem is somewhere else. After that, in no particular order:

- broken wire(s) someplace
- a failed starter cut relay
- a problem with the security control unit

Last edited:
just order this and be done:

35130-SL0-003
Switch, Steering

$76.48
$55.07

replaced mine twice In 14 yrs.
lots of voltage going through this switch. hot enough to melt the solder. happened to both of mine.
takes no time at all to change out and you'll be good to go.

rog

1994 automatic

Ordered. Will be here next week. Will report back when installed (and crack open the old).

ignition switch

when I opened mine, the contacts were burned and you could see the solder drip where it actually melted and dripped down the inside

others told me they cleaned the contacts on theirs and re-soldered the wires. for the low cost of the switch compared to the actual damage that could occur, it was worth the money and peace of mind to just replace it.

let me know how it goes!

Back