• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Barn Find 2974 mile JH4NA1157MT000843

JETPILOT3 my Friend has a 1988 Lamborghini Contach 5000s Quattravalve with less than 7000 miles, white. I thought that sitting on the edge and sliding like 2 feet to get to the seat was so cool.
I would DD that car. thsi car is MINT

LamborghiniPictures007.jpg

What are the cars behind the Countach under the covers?

Sorry, I haven't updated / responded for awhile. Went to California for the Monterey auctions and had lots of other work to do...

FIRSTLY ... BIG THANKS TO BRIANK for the rebuilding of the amps. Quick turnaround, fit them yesterday, THEY SOUND PERFECT. Anybody needs any NSX Stereo work, prvt msg BRIANK. 100% Recommended.

So, now she is 100%. Drove her 1 mile today (I know, I'm certifiable) and had the biggest smile. She is like a brand new car and ACTUALLY BETTER than the (wait for it...) 55 mile Chicago car. Yes I bought it! Didn't pay the asking price btw, but we did a deal that satisfied both parties.

And, that is a Countach in the background 89 Anniversary 4400 miles! Baddass car with the most hyper engine of any car ever.

So, I've decided that I am going to sell 000843. ODO is at 2989 miles now. I've decided to then buy a 91 with 20k or 30k miles to drive and let 000897 remain under 100 miles as long as I own it.

That long-promised list of everything done will follow shortly. Ive got to put an ad together, but I won't link to that or anything, I will just post here everything that we did.

Attachments

• DSC_0118.JPG
    DSC_0118.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Nice find.

We've seen a lot of barn cars with rodent damage on the cooling hoses front and rear, and in the tunnel. The tunnel makes an excellent home. Have they been inspected?

I think there was a bulletin for the hose that comes out of the engine. It should be replaced with the updated hose.

I think I'd also inspect the wire harnesses and all the soft brake lines closely for small rodent teeth. Sometimes wire insulation is chewed and there is not a problem till there is vibration and movement then there is a short. Hopefully your tech pulled the aircleaner to make sure that has not been chewing fodder.

Good luck,

woodwork

Nice find.

We've seen a lot of barn cars with rodent damage on the cooling hoses front and rear, and in the tunnel. The tunnel makes an excellent home. Have they been inspected?

I think there was a bulletin for the hose that comes out of the engine. It should be replaced with the updated hose.

I think I'd also inspect the wire harnesses and all the soft brake lines closely for small rodent teeth. Sometimes wire insulation is chewed and there is not a problem till there is vibration and movement then there is a short. Hopefully your tech pulled the aircleaner to make sure that has not been chewing fodder.

Good luck,

woodwork

I appreciate the advice.

This wasn't so much of a "barn find" as a "big air-conditioned cement block building" find. There was zero evidence of any rodent activity in or around the car.

We replaced the timing built, brake lines, fluids, spark plugs, battery, etc. I kept the original timing belt, it's not dried or cracked or chewed. We thoroughly checked hoses, wires, everything. I brought the car to North Carolina in June and we only recently finished the stereo amp rebuild and reinstall, which was the last thing we had to do.

We spent a lot of time taking the engine apart and inspecting, then probably double that time testing.

The oddest things were the collapse of the brake lines, all three amps had to be rebuilt and the original head unit had to be replaced. I recall the explanation from Acura for the head unit was that a capacitor had leaked onto a motherboard.

Also, rear deck lid and rear window struts needed to be replaced, a window switch, a window regulator, brake light switch.

Now everything works perfectly. The car is tight like it just rolled out of the showroom.

For anyone following this story..... The "barn find" NSX is on her way to Switzerland. Sold to the nicest guy in the world who will soon be flying her around the Swiss alps. How cool is that! I really wanted this beauty to go to a special home.

He came to inspect the car a couple of weeks ago and we had a blast. I think we had her out for more mileage in one day than she'd done in twenty years. Also probably the first time she did 100 mph... :)

Perfect drive, perfect car, perfect new owner, what a great story!

btw.... I'm looking for a super low mile 2005 to keep with the 60 mile red 91. Let me know of anything out there with less than 10k miles.

" I really wanted this beauty to go to a special home "

LOL

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL

I appreciate the advice.

We replaced the timing built, brake lines, fluids, spark plugs, battery, etc. I kept the original timing belt, it's not dried or cracked or chewed. We thoroughly checked hoses, wires, everything.

If you are going to go through the effort that you did, why wouldn't you replace the timing belt? Its still 20 years old even if it looks like it's in good condition. Same on the hoses but I'd care more about the timing belt to have peace of mind and be done with it.

If you are going to go through the effort that you did, why wouldn't you replace the timing belt? Its still 20 years old even if it looks like it's in good condition. Same on the hoses but I'd care more about the timing belt to have peace of mind and be done with it.

We did replace the timing belt. There's a misspelling... "built" instead of "belt". I kept the original belt, not in the engine, but just kept it. it looks brand new! It's in the trunk along with any other original parts we replaced, except the tires.

Crazy, HUH!!! you know... ppl will probably take the piss that this is another corny line, but when me and the guy who bought it were flying down the (paved surface, not necessarily a public road) and went over 100 mph, I thought about you, passing up the car and the chances of finding it, having the patience to deal with Don (i didn't get to see the hot daughter btw) fixing her up and now sending her to Switzerland.... it was just super cool.

i meant what I said in that earlier post about her going to the right home. Some cars have something very special about them and this is one of those cars. To know that she'll be one of the few NSX's there. The guy's best friend is the president of the NSX club (don't know if it's Geneva or all of Switzerland). So imagine their first meet, everyone gathering around to see what, I still believe, is probably the best example of a 91 out there. Even better than my 60 mile car. GREAT STUFF!

Japan to NY to Miami to NC to Switzerland

She is well-traveled for having so few miles. :biggrin:

" I really wanted this beauty to go to a special home "

LOL

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL

Shawn, your post certainly brought a smile to my face. Money talks and I'd sell both my cars if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I sold my Austin Mini Cooper 1071S to a collector in Denmark. He made me that offer I could not refuse and, as in gad-motors case, went to a great home, a person who truly appreciates the automobile.

Shawn, your post certainly brought a smile to my face. Money talks and I'd sell both my cars if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I sold my Austin Mini Cooper 1071S to a collector in Denmark. He made me that offer I could not refuse and, as in gad-motors case, went to a great home, a person who truly appreciates the automobile.

You had a 1071 S !!!!??? If there is another car puts the same smile on my face as the NSX it's a classic Cooper S ! I have a 1967 Austin Cooper S that is being restored right now in CA. Bill G @ Mincomp is doing it and one of the NSX vensors is going to do the final touches (intalling fuel injection and dyno tuning). Can you send any pics of your 1071 ? I would love to see it.

You had a 1071 S !!!!??? If there is another car puts the same smile on my face as the NSX it's a classic Cooper S ! I have a 1967 Austin Cooper S that is being restored right now in CA. Bill G @ Mincomp is doing it and one of the NSX vensors is going to do the final touches (intalling fuel injection and dyno tuning). Can you send any pics of your 1071 ? I would love to see it.

Brandonsan, here is the link to where I bought the car back in 2000. They still display it on their website. After all it was once owned by Status Quo frontman Frances Rossi. If I remember correctly, you had an Aussie model right with a big motor in it?

http://www.plmini.com/proj_rossi.htm

Brandonsan, here is the link to where I bought the car back in 2000. They still display it on their website. After all it was once owned by Status Quo frontman Frances Rossi. If I remember correctly, you had an Aussie model right with a big motor in it?

http://www.plmini.com/proj_rossi.htm

Beautiful Car ! I sold my aussie Mini and bought Bill G's Almond Green Cooper S. He owned it since 1970 and sent a random email asking if I wanted it.......After a few weeks I said sure ! My new car will have a 1380 with a Jack Knight (NOS) 5 speed gearbox that is equipped with a Quaiffe Limited Slip differential. Are in you CA by any chance ? Are you familiar with Mincomp Racing in Costa Mesa ?

Beautiful Car ! I sold my aussie Mini and bought Bill G's Almond Green Cooper S. He owned it since 1970 and sent a random email asking if I wanted it.......After a few weeks I said sure ! My new car will have a 1380 with a Jack Knight (NOS) 5 speed gearbox that is equipped with a Quaiffe Limited Slip differential. Are in you CA by any chance ? Are you familiar with Mincomp Racing in Costa Mesa ?

I live in Northern California and I have heard of Mincomp but have no experience with them. Your car sounds superb. siD

I'm glad to hear that its going to a good owner and that you rescued it from Don's warehouse/"prison of dust" and gave it a proper rehab, and bath.

Maybe someday we'll visit Switzerland, meet the owner, and I'll tell him all sorts of stories about his car. :smile:

(to all the Mini dudes... there is a nice one for sale in Scottsdale last I knew)

Crazy, HUH!!! you know... ppl will probably take the piss that this is another corny line, but when me and the guy who bought it were flying down the (paved surface, not necessarily a public road) and went over 100 mph, I thought about you, passing up the car and the chances of finding it, having the patience to deal with Don (i didn't get to see the hot daughter btw) fixing her up and now sending her to Switzerland.... it was just super cool.

i meant what I said in that earlier post about her going to the right home. Some cars have something very special about them and this is one of those cars. To know that she'll be one of the few NSX's there. The guy's best friend is the president of the NSX club (don't know if it's Geneva or all of Switzerland). So imagine their first meet, everyone gathering around to see what, I still believe, is probably the best example of a 91 out there. Even better than my 60 mile car. GREAT STUFF!

Back