• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Front End Alignment Question

Getting new tires tomorrow. With all the unusual (extreme) camber and toe angles that are called for on the NSX, is it safe to have a national tire company like Merchant's Tire (ala Tire Kingdom) do the alignment on my NSX or should I take it to an Acura dealership for a four-wheel alignment? My Merchant's has the newer laser alignment platform. Your thoughts and past experiences, please.

Thank you as always,
Frank

Technique (laser) is worthless without a guy with enough brain cells to deal with it. :wink: Too many guy have given up as the values on the other wheels change if you change one wheel. Don't ask me how I know. Don't look for laser or brand, just look for a guy with a sober reputation. Just my 0.02.

Newer or older really doesn't matter. As long as they know what they are doing. It's not what you have, it's what you know. I know a shop that has all kind of high end equipment but don't know how to used it. Useless :rolleyes:...

- - - Updated - - -

Even dealership sometimes don't know what they are doing :frown:..

Thanks for your input. I had it done at Merchant's Tire this morning and they were probably more careful with it than I would have been. Four-wheel alignment for $179.00 and I can go back as often as I like to check it for three full years.

Frank

Thanks for your input. I had it done at Merchant's Tire this morning and they were probably more careful with it than I would have been. Four-wheel alignment for $179.00 and I can go back as often as I like to check it for three full years.

Frank

Sweet!

I got my aligment done at Firestone here in Houston, Tx and for $179.00 you can get a lifetime aligment and go back to get it check as much time as you want. I only did a one time aligment good for 6 months because I don't drive my NSX hard or that much.

I used to work there that's why I took it there :biggrin:.

The alignment procedure for the NSX is not the same as normal cars. If you go to somewhere other than Acura, make sure to bring a printout of the process from the service manual pages 18-6 to 18-11.

These new alignment machines tell you exactly what to do an in the order it should be done. Really anyone that has some mechanical knowledge should be good to do the alignment. Common sense is all it takes. However one very important note. I've had my nsx done by three shops when I first got it. Everytime it would pull to one side and kill my rear tires fast!

I realize what they were doing wrong, each tech was following the instructions and the numbers always fell in the green. The problem lies in the adjustable tables under the tires.

Look for a place that has a drive on hoist that has the tables already mounted so they don't have to lift the car to put the tables under it. That's what screws up the alignment. The car should never be lifted before an alignment is completed cause the suspension keeps the wheels out once the car is lifted and before u drive it around a bit. Keep this in mind.

After renting a hoist at my buddy's dealership I decided I would do my alignment myself. Now the wheel is straight car goes straight and you can see a noticeable difference in the toe and camber in the rear wheels.

Back