• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 NSX Automatic (INPUT)

I am thinking about purchasing a 1991 Automatic Red/Ivory with about 34000.00 miles.I drove the car the other day and everything seems fine. I am working on trying to find service history for timing belt/water pump/hoses etc. Bolster in good condition, windows go up and down ok, radio works, ac works. Engine clean with no obvious leaks. Carfax is clean ,three owner car starting in Maryland then Pennselvania then Georgia. Dealer purchased it from Indiana. Trying to set up an inspection at local Acura dealer. Will an inspection reveal timing belt issue? How can you tell if window regulators are repaired? Anything I should look for with the automatic trans? Only thing I didn't like are 18" Zinetti Chrome wheels front and rear with brand new Pirelli 215/35 and 255/35 tires. ( I would sell those!)VIN#JH4NA1266MT001568 Thanks Everyone any input would be greatly appreciated. WSWEN in Illinois

wswen said:
Trying to set up an inspection at local Acura dealer.

Make sure it's one of the dealers that does a lot of NSX service work and thus is familiar with problems that may crop up on the NSX. That means Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, Pauly Acura in Highland Park, or (if the car is located further north) Acura of Brookfield west of Milwaukee.

wswen said:
Will an inspection reveal timing belt issue?

An inspection of the timing belt won't reveal whether it has been changed. But an inspection of the water pump will reveal whether it's the original style, where the weep hole is over the timing belt, or the revised style, where it's extended out away from the timing belt. If it's the original style, chances are that the timing belt and water pump are both original, since both are normally replaced at the same time; if it's the revised style, then the timing belt was PROBABLY (hopefully) replaced at the same time as the water pump.

wswen said:
How can you tell if window regulators are repaired?

By opening up the door panels and taking a look to see whether it has (a) the original style window regulators; (b) the Dali Racing window fix-it thingies installed, or (c) the revised style window regulators. You can see photos of each in the FAQ ("Troubleshooting" - "Power Windows"). If I were going to bother opening up the door panels - even for a pre-purchase inspection - I would spend the $16 and have a set of the thingies on hand, so I could install them while the panels are open. It could save you from the labor of opening them up again a second time.

Good luck - hope to meet you at one of our local NSX Club of America meetings.

Try flooring it while cruising at about 5-10 MPH. You should be in second gear at that point, and it should kick down to first. My current one doesn't.

After it has warmed up about 10-15 minutes (temp gauge just about horizontal) see if where the rev limited kicks in when manually shifting from first. My first NSX went over 7500 indicated, current one never over 7300 indicated. I may just have a thermostat problem, but...

Otherwise I think you should follow the usual auto testing routing - shift manually through the gears to verify smooth, no untoward noises, etc.

Back